You know, what's the point of sleep mode!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danoan522, Feb 17, 2009.

1. danoan522 macrumors newbie

i have a unibody macbook pro 2.4 with a 250gig 7200rpm HD, and it makes no point putting it to sleep because the battery looses power significantly. Last night i closed the laptop right after disconnecting the power cable and battery being fully charged, the status light begun pulsating like its supposed to, but a couple hours later, when i open the laptop i realised the battery was down to 90% already. It's like the laptop never went to sleep? thats what the battery would have been if it wasnt asleep/lightly used during that period of time. I really need help as to what to do. I can't be shutting down the laptop every time or be a slave to a power cord. Thanks.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How many hours did you actually leave it?

This POS toshiba loses 30% sleeping during my school day to when I need it, which is roughly 5 hours.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If it's just sitting on your desk overnight, just leave the charger in. The battery doesn't overcharge of damage it. And how do you become a slave to the powercord? It's so easy to disconnect it.

How much power/percentage is it losing overnight?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol.

even while sleeping the memory has to stay powered up. as well as the front LED, but thats nothing.

Just keep it charging at night. Infact, I sleep it every night, directly from my cinema display with the lid closed. In the morning, I disconnect everything and power it back on in the office without so much as a hickup.

5. Ploki macrumors 68000

uhm... get deep sleep.

i dont use it to be honest.

if i know i wont be using it for at least 10 hours i shut it down usually, or leave it on the cord.

i have safe sleep disabled so it doesnt dump on the HDD.

you can do the opposite, instead of sleeping, hibernate it. it takes a bit more time to wake up (approx as much as it takes to sleep anyway) but it doesnt screw up the battery

6. OngL macrumors member

Just replied and asked the same issue on another thread. I observed that the drain is unusually high for a notebook on sleep state.

Mine has a full charge and leave it for a day, it can't power on again. As mentioned earlier, it keeps the memory and the LED on, but that should be really minimal power usage.

7. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

I would love to know how you would get the battery to have a 90% charge after using it for 2 hours.

8. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Me too.
    90% after two hours in sleep mode is fine. It's even too much considering that the battery is not always 100% charged when the notebook is plugged.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wtf kind of post is this, its pointless. a winblows computer would be loosing twice that much!

get the widget "Deep Sleep" and install that, it lets you save RAM to the HD and turns the computer off.. that way NO power is used.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If this thread is for real, the OP could always try to calibrate his battery.

I had the same issue. that my battery was using 2-4% capacity per hour while sleeping.

A lot of charge/completely discharge cycles seem to have resolved this issue though.

11. lordthistle macrumors 6502

During sleeping? Quite doubtful...

- thistle

12. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sleep is great. Most mac users actually never shut down macs!

You mac even runs maintenance in sleep, and its uber quick boot up

Don't like loss of power. PLUG YOUR LAPTOP IN, NUMPTY!

13. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Sure about that?
    :confused:

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I believe so. Like sudo command-y maintenance things whose name escapes me.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

In MacOS they are done by 'periodic'.

Did you notice this sentence in the quoted text?
    [...]
    If your Mac is shut down or in sleep mode during these hours, the maintenance scripts will not run.
    [...]

16. ihabime macrumors 6502

17. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Damn, I didn't read carefully enough...that can explain the loss of hardrive space.

Thanks for the correction

18. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Hint: edit these files:
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.periodic*

19. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Incorrect, and the link is out of date as only refers to Tiger. Maintenance scripts have been changed in Leopard, they run more often so no need to worry about them.

20. ihabime macrumors 6502

That link may be out of date, but the Apple one I posted says the same thing and specifically mentions that it applies to 10.5

21. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Where do I find any documentation about that? Because with Leopard I kept doing what I used to do in the past years and did not notice any difference (may be there was, but not concerning hours and days).

- thistle

22. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Prove it for yourself. In Terminal:
    ls -al /var/log/*.out

This will show you the timestamps for the output of each maintenance script.
    For example, the last time my daily script ran was 10:43 today - this was when my Mac first woke up.
    If Leopard misses the last scripted time (e.g. 03:15 for the daily), it runs the script when it's next booted or woken :)

23. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I've also noticed this. I was using a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook before upgrading to a 2.4GHz 15" MBP late last year, and the 12" PB used to be able to go to sleep for a week or two and still have battery power to spare. The new MBP almost completely uses up its charge in the sleep state in only 3 or 4 days. Normally it's not a problem as I put the MBP to sleep when I leave my office, and maybe wake it briefly do copy some files or do some work when I get home, then let it sleep until the next morning when it's time for work again. However, the sleep mode power drain is definitely a lot higher than the older 12" PowerBook at least.

That said, I'd disagree that the MBP would only use 10% of its charge during normal use in a few hours. I think that's stretching it a little.

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I cannot prove it for myself since I modified the conf files for having scripts running when my computer is usually on.

So basically they fixed this annoying behaviour but keep old help pages. Nice to know.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I sent mine into Apple for this reason. There is no way it should loose this much power while asleep. Whether a windows laptop would loose more power is irrelevant because our early 08 MBP and previous MB didn't do this.

Deep sleep, while a fine work around, is inconvenient because it takes a while to power back up.

This is an issue with the unibodies.