You really think 3 months is enough time to polish 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Double J, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Double J macrumors member

I doubt it -- especially if they are in fact releasing a hardware update too. I'd more realistically expect both in September.:confused:

2. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

I would normally doubt that too...but with the number of people that already have the 3.0 beta on their phones they have a really big pool of testers :D

Cheers.

-J.-

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do not know for certain there will be a hardware update. FYI.

4. Pooshka macrumors 65816

What are you talking about??? It's already ready for a 100% ready release about right now already!!!

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yup, thats why it lags and certain functions dont even work yet.....

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's about the same track as 2.0, which we all know how that went.

So no, it won't be ready, but it'll likely still be launched if there is new hardware to accompany the firmware. Simply a business and marketing decision.

7. Double J thread starter macrumors member

We know for certain there will be a hardware update at SOME point, and I think we can be reasonably certain that they've been working on it already for some time -- companies typically start working on new hardware right after they finish one model.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Completely false. Everyone knows apple has a pizza party first.

9. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I hope so. I don't think there is a new iphone in the works at the moment. Or rather one that will be released before Q4 09.

10. natasha69 macrumors 6502

easily enough time. if it was like last year, we'll see beta updates released weekly...

11. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Usually they've already started working on the next version before the new hardware is even done and released.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That would mean its in the works right now. Product pipelines for tech companies go on for at least a year for most products, much longer for sophisticated things.

13. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

3 months is also the BEGINNING of summer...........knowing them it will likely be the end of summer.

14. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

It will be ready, ton's of people are giving them feedback.

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well considering that to make a beta release, you have to package it all up and tie off loose ends which takes time. During that time, more improvements are being made simultaneously. I also think it will be more like 4 - 6 months, not 3 months.

16. Double J thread starter macrumors member

People giving feedback does not equate to bugs and kinks actually being worked out. In all likelihood the feedback will result in MORE work for Apple.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Didn't they say "Summer" not "June"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have until September 2009 before Summer is over?

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is a GOOD thing because that means more bugs are found and squashed.

I'd much rather have them take their time and have a rock solid release than a 2.0 lets-get-it-out-there fiasco.

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Nah, Schiller said June.

Phazer

20. diemos macrumors 6502

give me a break man, of course they have enough time, why do you know how many bugs needs to be fixed and everything that needs to be polished?

21. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

SJ also claimed September '08, or thereabouts, for Push Notifications. So we can see that punctionality isn't as closely held to Apple's breast as many may assume...

22. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

dude there are already thousands of developers polishing out 3.0 3 months is plenty of time! Just wait it out and come june/july everything will be peachy. Just like in 2.0 These things take time and effort by the devoted developers(like myself) to get working right.

23. mbleopard macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the developers are testing the beta and reporting bugs back to Apple, not actually fixing the bugs themselves. The developers never see the source code.

24. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The OP is right. Currently 3.0 is UNSTABLE. Whichever way you look at it, it crashes, hangs and everything. It's buggy.
    But it's to be expected, as at the end of the day this is a beta.

Now they do have a huge pool of testers, but how many are actually bothering to submit bug reports I wonder? My guess? I little over 40%.
    You've seen for yourself over the past couple of days, developers have been giving out places under their dev account to non-developers.

These people weren't interested in developing for iPhone. They're probably not developers. They've probably never touched code before.
    No, these people wanted to get their hands on the software as easily and as fast as they possibly could.

I personally think they'll announce a delay to the public release at WWDC,
    right before revealing iPhone 3.0 hardware (always end on a good note).

0.02 ..

R-Fly

25. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

right ive already done my duty and reported a lot of bugs to apple. Together were going to make 3.0 the most kick ass software update eva! :D:apple::apple: