You still can't attach files to emails in iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jalamanta, Jun 27, 2013.

1. jalamanta macrumors newbie

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on iOS6 (I don't have the beta) and I'm able to attach files. For instance I want to send an image, I click the box with the little arrow and its attached.

The same goes for my spreadsheets and what not

So to put it another way, iOS6 (and presumably iOS7) has the ability to attach files to emails

3. jalamanta thread starter macrumors newbie

On a non-jailbroken iPhone you can't attach files when you reply to an email. Such a simple and crucial feature for a device which called a smartphone.

I am also wondering how you are able to attach two excel files to one email.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iOS does not have a file system that is exposed to the user, but many apps (photo browser, numbers, pages, iphoto, etc) allow you to do just what you say can't be done. btw, my phone is not jailbroken.

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

To be fair, in the OP's 2nd post he says reply - which it looks like you can't unless I am missing a trick.

6. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

On iOS 6, while replying to an email, long press on the cursor and select "Insert photo or video." But yeah, if it isn't a photo video, it's going to need a new email thread.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Use a different mail client. In that respect you have lots of choice.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Simple and crucial" are defined by the user -- not the device. If it's crucial to you then shop devices that offer the feature. No one person's needs define the needs for everyone else.

9. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Or jailbreak.

10. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

it is rather odd why PDFs can't be attached via the native mail client.

11. jkauff macrumors member

Maybe Apple's still feuding with Adobe. :)

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

well apple won that fued anyway. flash isn't even on android anymore.

13. cynics macrumors G4

You can. Just not through the email app itself. For example, open Adobe Reader, open a PDF you previously saved to the Adobe Reader app, then share with email.

You are limited to one PDF. However it is possible.

This is a pita for me because I'll need to send and receive several pdf's a day.

----------

It's not updated for Android anymore but can still can be downloaded for versions prior to Jelly Bean or side loaded for Jelly Bean.

I wish websites would just drop flash already!

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You still can't attach files to emails in iOS 7?

You are not limited to attaching single PDFs to email from the Adobe app.

[​IMG]

15. Zaft, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013

Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yes I know but it would be easier if it could be attached right from the mail app. It does not really effect me as I rarely send PDFs. But when I do its just an unnecessary annoyance. :rolleyes:

16. hafr macrumors 68030

On the other hand, such a ridiculously basic feature could very well be considered to be expected on any and all smartphones.

17. Skika macrumors 68030

I think one of the cool ways to solve this issue, without incorporating a file system would be to just have an option in mail.

Hold down the same as now, insert-> file -> dropbox, adobe reader, avplayer etc -> list of files from within that app.

Voila. That would be neat.

18. cynics macrumors G4

How did you do that?

I've been trying too but its not working for me.

I open a PDF in adobe click email document. Email client opens up but its adobes not the email app (although it looks identical.) here is a screen shot of what I mean. Email open at the top is actually adobe, you can see the actual email app in the multitasking tray and no adobe (because its opened).

[​IMG]

The only option I have from there is to send or cancel.

So you have a step by step?

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Copy-paste added with iOS3 circa 2009.

Send a PDF via email. Copy and paste attachment.
    Send another PDF via email, paste the first one in.

20. Osullivan1 macrumors 6502

Instead of a file system (as such), they should make it so you can press and hold, press "insert attachment", and then instead of files and folders, you would be able to select the app your file is saved in (i.e.: Adobe Reader) and it would show you all the files saved in that app.

That way Apple can keep things simple and file-explorer-free, but not make email a pain in the arse.

We can always dream.

21. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I don't care which OS is your favorite, it's ridiculous that such a mundane thing such as attaching a PDF requires workarounds and can't be done directly in the native app.

22. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It would he easier this way for sure. At the moment, I open Dropbox, copy the link and them go back and paste it. Not really hard, but it could be done a bit better.

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can. Been able to for many iterations of iOS.

IOS6 gained the ability native from the Mail,app.

24. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Really. Tell me how to Reply to an email and send insert an attachment in the native email client.

All the solutions I've seen so far are either only applicable to pictures or video; require creating a new email using the app you are creating the document in and then copying and pasting the attachment from the newly created email into the one you are trying to reply to (and you are limited to one attachment); or using a whole new email client.

So, two simple questions.

How can I Reply to an email in the native client and insert or attach:
    1) One attachment (not photo or video)
    2) Multiple attachments. (not photo or video)

How can I create an email in the native email client and simply insert a document?

The above is basic email usage in the working world.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats the one thing i hate about iOS or apples way of doing things, they focus too much on keeping each app seperate and they can not function well together. ANNOYING

i dont want to open multiple apps to do a single task like attaching files to an email ... or why cant i pick a different camera app to use on whatsapp for example. meh