You think Apple will ever release a gaming console?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Maxime, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Maxime macrumors regular

The iPhone is turning into a player in the handheld segment. You think Apple will ever release a stand alone gaming console to compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo?

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

3. stoich macrumors member

That would be interesting. I know the pippin failed but Apple has came a long way since then as has technology.

Im sure they are working on and testing a gaming console. We will all just have to wait and see :)

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I believe Apple's gaming arm is the iPhone / iPod touch.

Releasing a console would be foolish - and highly unlikely given Mr. Jobs dislike of gaming - as the videogame console market is saturated enough without another platform for the industry to support.

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

Well put. I think the App Store is as close to the gaming market as Apple will get.

6. stoich macrumors member

I wouldn't say it is saturated there are just two monsters in the xbox and playstation that are focusing on mainstream gaming.

As you saw when nintendo launched the wii they took gaming down a whole different route and got alot of peoples attention. I wouldnt be surprised if Apple shocked the world and thought of some new innovative way of gaming. The video game world is nowhere near its peak. More like it has just begun and I'm sure Steve knows that. If Apple has the idea and the resources to do it I don't see why they wouldn't? There is just too much money in gaming to just set it aside and not even try. Only time will tell

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

This question is asked to much. If they do try again, they will. If they don't, they won't. Anyway. Apple always has weird surprises. Just wait and see what's next.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I haven't seen this asked so much, but it has turned into a repeatedly asked question of late, I hope it doesn't turn into the "Apple needs to make a mid range tower" thread mess....

Just because the iphone has a small emerging games market doesn't mean apple should make a console, they're 2 completely separate markets, apple would never invest in a market where for the first 3 years of selling your device, it's deemed acceptable to make a loss...

I think that's what I said in a duplicate thread to this one 2 weeks ago...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No. The console market is already saturated enough.
    Apple's first concern should be getting the iPhone/iPod Touch as competative gaming devices (aka, enticing publishers and devs to bring some quality exclusive titles) and then try to take on DirectX.

The don't have much of a leg to stand on, really. But I don't buy Macs for games so it's no concern for me really.

10. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

The iPhone is not becoming a player in the gaming handheld scene, if anything, it's becoming a much more versatile smartphone but it doesn't hold a candle to the 4 year old Nintendo DS and the 3 year old Sony PSP, let alone when Nintendo/Sony release new handhelds.

Apple doesn't have the support from publishers nor the vision or interest to produce a game console, the market is saturated enough already. Besides, making consoles is very expensive unless you make them like the Wii.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Of course not, they hate games enough as it is. One of the things Apple is best known for is bad game support, so why would they want to get into gaming with such a bad reputation for games? They would be laughed out of the market. Make no mistake, most gamers still hate Apple and their computers.

12. stoich macrumors member

I dont really wanna fuel this thread but I would have to say that you can never count out a company such as Apple in anything. They have the name and the marketing abilities NOW to make a gaming system a reality. Now whether or not at the present time if it would be a good idea for them to do that I would say it is not. But in the coming years when gaming goes to a whole new level I wouldnt be surprised to see Apple jump into the thick of things and possibly turn the gaming industry upside down. Just as they did in the celluar world when it was "saturated" as well.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But the phone market and game markets are completely different from each other. The phone market can have many products, the game market replies upon software produced for specific consoles. Phones are just hardware, just like cars, TV's. A console could be the most powerful thing in existance (Xbox 360) yet if it didn't have any games it would do nothing and nobody would buy it.

Besides. Nintendo has already "shook up" the market. Ever since home consoles have been around there has been a push for newer and more realistic graphics, Nintendo release a system barely more powerful than last gen and week in, week out they're outpacing everyone. It's on track to become the best selling games machine ever. This is by a gaming pedigree, Apple, without backing from anyone cannot achieve this. Hell if MS and Sony are struggling to make a profit and get struggling to get sales in certain regions then how are Apple going to do any better?

14. stoich macrumors member

I'm not saying apple is going to release a console that is compared to xbox or playstation. Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts IF apple can think of an innovative way of gaming that customers haven't yet experienced then they would possibly take the leap into the gaming world. Its like the iPhone it was INNOVATIVE and that's what people like new things.

Technological singularity is edging itself nearer and nearer possibly only 50 years away. As technology advances In leaps and bounds as it is right now me and you don't even know what the possibilities are in the next 50 years, hell you might be able to teleport in the game.:eek: I'm not saying apple will ever release a gaming console for sure BUT you cannot count them out because "Steve doesnt like games" or "its to saturated" with the monster apple is you never know.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So it's 50 years away? Hmm.

Anyroad. Gaming is run by pedigree's and branding. Neither of which can be positively attributed to Apple. I just don't see it happening, not with today's Apple Inc.

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

PS3 has been touted as a full-on media centre, and XBOX lags not far behind. In the battle for the living room, they are on a collision course with Apple.

Apple may not release a console, but the battle lines have been drawn, so you could see it happening.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The battles of convergence - it seems APple's been shying away from a few: shying away from a full on Sat Nav battle, or full on media centre battle. And no hat thrown in the console ring, currently (though with better specs, I don't see why an iMac couldn't be seen as more of one. A Mac Pro in a year will definitely have the raw power to be one).

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple might release a gaming console, or have they already done that? the ipod/iphone have a number of very graphical games. And remember, one product Apple failed in the past has been reincarnated, the Newton. Now it's the iPhone.

19. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Their name is exactly their problem. When you see Apple and Games in the same sentence its not very positive outside mac forums. If Apple wants a prayer then they need to first fix their horrible reputation with gamers.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Apple would be faced with all the issues facing the 360 and PS. I don't think they will but I would not bet against them either. ;)

21. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I recall Jobs pointing out that billions of phones are sold each year vs millions of consoles, then making some comment about it being small.

<]=)

23. stoich macrumors member

its not just the console. Look at xbox marketplace I guarantee you that xbox marketplace makes more money then all the consoles and accessories combined.

24. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I don't doubt that iTunes will eventually have downloadable games for the Apple TV and (maybe) Macs. That doesn't mean either would then be called a "gaming console." The Wii, Xbox and PS3 all have media functions (and web browsing, minus the Xbox). However, their primary function is and will always be gaming. Apple will only release devices/hardware that "also" do gaming in addition to whatever their primary function is.

I'll eat a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie if I'm wrong and Apple release a stand-alone gaming system (ala the Pippin).....

25. n8mac macrumors 6502

If Apple ever does release a console, one thing is for sure, it has to be different and innovative. It has to do things that MS, Sony and Nintendo don't.

One thing Apple could do is make it so that all the games released for their console also work on a Mac as well as the iPhone. So when you buy a game with an :apple: logo on it you can rest assured that it will work on multiple devices. Of course there will be some differences between each version, like resolution, etc. But todays DL DVD and Bluray disks have plenty of room for them. Plus it can LAN with a Mac for multiplayer. Much easier than caring your Mac Pro to your friends house and TV's are bigger than laptops screens.

Another thing the console should have is a stripped down version of Apple's current OS. So if Apple ever want's to release a keyboard, mouse, joystick, faster modem, etc. the software is already there. Plus, as far as total OS market share goes, Apple's OS would increase. Also consumers could see a glimpse of Apple's OS without buying a more expensive Mac and might possibly switch down the road.

The console can have a user replaceable hard drive that can be upgraded to a larger one and the old one can fit into a Mac desktop. If the console proves successful and a console II is released that can play console I games then the old hard drive can be put into a Mac instead of creating more waste.

Of course it should have online goodness. It can have a version of Safari to browse either an expanded version of the iTunes store or a new :apple: store all together. The point being that you can get your game on without having to go buy a $50USD disk. And I'm talking new and used games.