You thought the Droid X and Evo were BIG?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gosabres1984, Jul 28, 2010.

1. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That thing is massive. I find it interesting that it's almost forcing you to use it in landscape mode though. And Android 1.6? Why can't Google and these manufacturers decide on one version of Android and roll it out on all of their phones? The OS fragmentation makes no sense at all.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah but thats a tablet that also happens to make phone calls whilst the others are marketed as phone first, computer later.

3. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

4. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Android 1.6? Isn't that about 47 years old now? :rolleyes:

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They have been marketing that as a table (so it will be more compare with the iPad than the iPhone) which in that case it makes it a lot smaller.

they also said that it will be release with Android 2.2, but it have been demoed with 1.6 for some reason.

that said, to me the whole hybrid-phone no too large for table no to small for a phone is just a mess. :D

6. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

They have had them in the O2 shops for a while, seem ok actually although a little on the larger side both browsing and mail are good which is what I would want in a tablet device.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    It all just takes time. Everyone has limited resources these days.

Same as it's taking Apple so long to put 4.x on the iPad... and that's even though they control their entire ecosystem. (Talk about fragmentation.)

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I don't know why....but I cannot stop laughing at the fact that the on-screen keyboard has enough room for a number pad.

9. iCandii macrumors member

10. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

Hahahaha same here and I find funny not even iPad has that included.

11. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Hopefully the build quality WON'T be on par with that of the Inspiron laptops. Otherwise Dell has a Dell-Fail on their hands.

12. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Like many have stated, it is meant to be a tablet and not marketed as a phone like the iphone.

13. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Yeah but I saw a bloke outside a pub phoning someone using a Streak a couple of weeks ago. Holding it to his ear like a total spanner. I smirked. Was actually tempted to take a photo but thought it'd be a bit rude...

14. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

15. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It's different, all the iPhones (that support OS 4) have the update available, the iPad is more complicated and has more features, thus it takes more time.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Yawn.

Uk's only had this phone about 2 months :rolleyes:

It's really nice to hold, the screens good, responsive, couldn't have it as a main phone, but i'd love to play around with one.

Supposed to get 2.2 VERY soon.

17. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Come on guys. The iOS line will eventually become fragmented as well. As a matter of fact it has already started (iPad 3.X, iPhone 3GS/4 4.0.1, iPhone 2G 3.X) Thats not even mentioning the iPod Touch line either. Its just the way of things. There are too many devices to be worked on at the same time. Cant we all just love technology and enjoy the fact that our phones and computers are cheap because they compete in various ways? :)

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 2G doesn't count. As of July 11, 2010, every iPhone 2G is no longer under warranty support.

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

20. labrat1996 macrumors 6502

labrat1996

I have been waiting for the Streak to be released for months. I gave up and got an iphone 4, since my original iphone was starting to act up.

I think it has potential for me. I like the idea of a tablet that makes calls. It would fit nicely in my purse as well. Still - I am waiting for a red one that comes with 2.2. I know - it's insanely huge - that's what I like about it. I am getting older and my eyes are getting weaker. Also - typing on the iphone is no picnic. I told my daughter that she should get an iphone last November, but she ended up with a Samsung Mythic (which was $199 at the time too!) because she liked the feel of texting on it better than the iphone.

To each his own. Of course now I do love my new iphone, but that doesn't mean I won't also end up with a Streak in the near future.

21. wreckshop macrumors 6502

So? 3G still is and it gets a gimped version of iOS which isnt so bad except it runs SLOWER than the version its supposed to replace. 3GS will get fragmented off soon too since it only has 1/2 ram and 1/2 resolution of ip4.

ipad is already fragmented.

22. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I would rather them push forward with better hardware and software that run together than holding their software back so that it keeps running on old hardware.

iphone and ipad don't have to be on the exact same software since they are very different devices despite both running iOS.

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I've heard it's a pretty great little device, even if it is selling itself mostly on potential right now. Dell plans to upgrade it to Froyo, too.

I'd like to try one out.