You Won't Need A Case For iPhone 5 !?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Scottyee, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Scottyee macrumors regular

Just read this interesting article by John Brownlee on the "Cult Of Mac" website explaining why he thinks that, contrary to earlier (more fragile?) iPhones, that the new iPhone5 has been "redesigned" to resist scratching the screen (utilizing Gorilla Glass 2), and prevent damage from dropping, making the iPhone 5 "the first iPhone that even the clumsiest individual can carry around in his pocket as Steve Jobs intended:au natural".

Read the article here:
    Why Apple is killing off the bumper and Why You Won't Need A Case For Your iPhone 5

New iPhone 5 owners: After reading the article, whats your assessment?
    Will you be purchasing or foregoing a case and/or screen protector for your new iPhone 5. Though I recently ordered an inexpensive temp. $6 case and screen film, I'm having second thoughts about needing them now. Interested to hear other people's thoughts on utilizing a case and/or screen protector with iPhone 5.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I will be buying a leather case, probably stilgut, a new Just-Mobile stand to replace the current ones which won't fit the newbie.

I like to have the phone in a case when I'm out and about, and on a stand in the house. It's the same policy I have used with all my iphones and every one has remained in mint condition.

Just putting it in a pocket and hoping for the best won't work for me.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That article is a bit ridiculous. Glass is still glass. It will break. Also, there is still glass at every corner, the most vulnerable spots.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'll still be buying a case. I have idiot hands when handling my phone.

5. alexmish macrumors newbie

The article incorrectly states that the front glass is flush with the metal band - it is NOT, as very evident from multiple screenshots. The front glass is still slightly raised above the band, although not as much as on 4/4s, I think it is still good probability the glass willl crack if dropped on an edge... Beside, do you always plan the droping to control how it lands !?

I am also concerned wrt durability of the back side, made from presumably thinner aluminum than the side band. I suspect it will scratch (especially on the black models), as well as ding - just like your car's side walls when parked in tight parking at a mall.

Thus in the past regular Apple bumper case would work as it didnt have to protect back side from dings (glass doesnt ding)... So at the moment I have a dilemma, as I am looking for a good bumper+back protecting case, which will survive falling without adding bulk to otherwise much slimmer device... Suggestions to address all of these?

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm going to be buying SquareTrade insurance and a whole-body film protector, but no case or bumper.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This is great news I hate cases with a passion, and have never used one on any of my iPhones..... I always throw on a screen protector to avoid scratches and go on my way. I'll be doing the same for my iPhone 5.

8. wlasikiewicz macrumors newbie

I will only be buying the screen protectors for the front and back, i wont be putting this iphone into any case + ill be getting it insured also.

9. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I didn't use a case on my iPhone 4, the phone still looks great but the camera on the back is all scratched up (I can't even use it). I'll pay a case fore the 5 just to protect the camera lens

10. wongulous macrumors 6502a

With the glass back gone and the camera lens made of sapphire, a majority if my concerns ha been allayed. However, I feel that dropping is inevitable for me as my current phone has been dropped probably 25-35 times. No screen shatters, but it is plastic so I feel that absorbed the shock. I think I do need some kind of case with ho clumsy I am... and maybe a GLAS.t to protect the front glass.

11. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I rarely use cases, but when I do, I use the Incase Snap Case because it's so thin—the thinnest I've yet to see. I'll probably go the first month without a case, then notice some small scratch or ding, and then buy a case.

I always seem to have problem with my jeans. That stupid little metal button above the pocket always scratches my phones. I hate that damn thing.

12. Powrie macrumors 6502

That sounds backwards to me.

The black iphone 5 has an Anodized surface, while the white phone does not.

Anodized Aluminum is harder and more scratch resistant then non Anodized.

Therefore the White phone will be more prone to scratching over the Black one.

13. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

This has got to be the dumbest article I have ever read and I will still be protecting mine with multiple layers of protection

14. Thrilledge macrumors regular

15. Copronymous macrumors newbie

I've planned on going completely case & screen protector free on the iPhone 5 since day 1.
    I got AppleCare, and if I drop it I'll pay the $50 for a replacement.

16. julienpdx macrumors member

definitely will be using an otterbox commuter case when its finally availble (i want a cool color)

and some cheap TPU one with invishield while i wait

17. courtma41 macrumors newbie

Just my opinion here but I won't be using any case or protector.

First the 5 will use the new Gorilla Glass 2 for the first time. If you aren't familiar with it check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8xI4PEU8c&feature=player_detailpage

This is by far the most crack/break resistant and scratch proof glass ever created.

Second, the camera now has a sapphire lens cover. For those of you that are familiar with high end Swiss watches you know what this means. Sapphires are second to only Diamonds in scratch resistance. This means a crystal clear camera lens for the life of your iPhone.

With all this being said I WILL be purchasing AppleCare+. Until they find a way to create iPhone innards that match the strength of the outer shell I'll need some piece of mind.

18. charlesdayton, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

That article has its facts wrong. According to Corning, Gorilla glass 2 offers the same strength as the original Gorilla Glass but is 20% thinner. So the screen has the same resistance as the 4S. In the article they say it is 20% stronger which is wrong.

Here is a video of a galaxy SIII (uses Gorilla glass 2) being broken just by dropping a hammer on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4wzDdU7GZk&feature=fvwrel

@courtma41: You don't have to go high end Swiss to find saphire cristal, $200 Japanese Orient watches have it, as well as some Citizens.

19. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

one grain of sand could scratch your phone so why take chances ?

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'll be going with an Element (or knockoff, once they become available. I like to have more than 1 color) Vapor Comp and/or Pro and a skin on the back, just like I have with my past 2 phones. Doesn't add a ton of bulk but did protect my 4S when I tripped and slung it down the sidewalk.

21. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Still purchasing a case. I don't care how break-proof or scratch-proof people say the iPhone 5 is. I will not feel comfortable throwing my phone in my purse with my keys and makeup.

22. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I will be using the glas.t for the front and looking for a nice back one.
    I'm thinking wrapsol.
    I liked the idea of a bumper. Hopefully there will be some nice ones out soon.

I don't believe in scratch-free glass. We will see in a few months...

23. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I am hoping that Apple offers a bumper. I like miminlist protection. The bumper gives the iPhone a nice grip and a lay on the table design.

24. Mickyvai macrumors newbie

25. VivaLaFisica macrumors regular

I've actually never had a case for any of my phones and they always turn out all right after two years. Thing is, I am very careful about where I place my phone and I never pull it out of my pocket while walking.

I'm getting a defender series otterbox case for my 5 because it'll be nice for once to be a bit lazy with my phone's care. Maybe I just want to toss it in my beach bag and be on my way, or in my arts and crafts bag. Or maybe I want to walk and talk over some sidewalk. Also, If the next iPhone stays the same size, I can just use the box again, too.