Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Worn smartwatches for years, so wrist based notifications, apps, custom watchfaces, remote answering and voice control are not new to me. Nice that Apple included support for them all (well, still waiting for third party watchfaces).

I do love the Glances (at least when they don't hang getting updated info). It'd be nicer if their carousel was infinite, (that is, going to one end should wrap around to the other, so you don't have to swipe back the other direction all the way, just to get to the first one again).

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Owner since launch day. I like it very much - makes it much easier to filter out what's not important and generally speeds up small tasks that would otherwise be completed on the phone. I don't use it as much as my phone/iPad/Mac but that's to be expected. It's a good watch as well - accurate, easy to read; even though it is a 'smartwatch', I still mostly use it as a watch!

Third party apps aren't great still, but I'm hoping once they can be native they'll be a bit better. Hoping.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'm thrilled with mine. I've had an SGS for two weeks and then decided to return it for a SS BLL instead (which I wisely preordered on 5/3 just in case I decided to upgrade). The SS just arrived today and I put it on about 20 minutes ago. The fact that I'm willing to invest more in a nicer version after several weeks with the entry level watch speaks to the fact that I know I'm going to enjoy the watch for a long time.

I did my homework before the 4/10 preorder date and and knew exactly what I would and would not be getting with the Apple Watch. I did not have inflated expectations. It wasn't an impulse buy. I knew I'd be glancing at it throughout the day, not spending 20 minutes at a time on it. I also knew from early reviews that third party apps would not be great, and what the other initial shortcomings were. For me, the shortcomings do not affect the core ways that I use the watch, and I've owned iPhones and iPads since the 2008 and have learned to trust Apple to keep updating the OS, adding functions, and enabling better third party app functionality as time goes on. They do this better than anyone and I'm excited for the future of the Watch.

The core things that I love most about the watch work extremely well. All my important notifications, alarms, and reminders are now gentle taps on my wrist instead of buzzes from my phone. As a busy person, this is a big benefit. The health tracking is terrific. The watch faces are beautiful. Access to Siri on my wrist is very convenient. I also love handling iMessages through the watch.

Both the SGS and my current SS BLL are quality hardware. There is no question in my mind that from both a software and hardware standpoint, Apple has the best smartwatch offerings on the market.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I could wish for it to do ridiculous things for a small thing on my wrist but I don't. I wish for it to keep perfect time, give me notifications and proactive information as it comes along and prompt me to keep active.

I'm supremely happy with the Apple Watch.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Got mine May 15, so it's been a little over 2 weeks. I like it very much. I've always worn a watch, so to me, it's a watch that does more. Nice design. Light on wrist (space gray sport). I interact with it pretty much like I did my regular watch, but also to see notifications, upcoming appointments, weather, reminders, who I've gotten email from. Sometimes I use the navigation while walking, even though I set my route on the phone. I use it for cooking and exercise timing sometimes. Workout tracking. Basically all things that do not require staring at the watch for long periods of time. Nice device. Not essential, but neither is a watch. Apple was smart to try to make it fashionable, because really that's the only reason why most people would wear a watch anymore.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I like it. It does as advertised. I am always curious when I hear people say that SIRI doesn't work. My wife is Japanese and has an accent. On her phone she has issues, but the watch has been great for her. Better than the phone, which is odd. I have only not worn it outside the house once in the month I have had it.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I love it. It has become a part of my life and my interactions. I even enjoy the fashion side of it, changing the color of the face and the band to coordinate to my attire on any particular day. I use the phone less too. I have more than a few complaints, but only because I can see even more untapped (or too-be-tapped) potential, not because the device is really lacking. I am a full convert... when they first announced the watch in September I scoffed, and when I saw the send-a-heartbeat thing, I laughed out loud. I still laugh at that feature, but otherwise I made a full 180 on the usefulness of the device.

Reactions: Cervelo-Van

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Would love to see feedback in a few sentences from users who have made it a part of their lives.. hence the 14 day rule.

Had mine since April 24:

- Activity tracking is part of my daily
Worn smartwatches for years, so wrist based notifications, apps, custom watchfaces, remote answering and voice control are not new to me. Nice that Apple included support for them all (well, still waiting for third party watchfaces).

I do love the Glances (at least when they don't hang getting updated info). It'd be nicer if their carousel was infinite, (that is, going to one end should wrap around to the other, so you don't have to swipe back the other direction all the way, just to get to the first one again).

1. I reach for my phone less because:

- The watch shows me notifications
- The complications I have set up give me the information I need that I used to reach for my phone for. (Time, Calendar, stocks)

2. Loving the activity tracking. I use it daily to try and be more healthier.

everything else is a bonus.

Prattdizzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
NSW Australia
Well the thing is I was making a video and talking a fair bit and when doing that your heart rate will rise a bit. Also I filmed this video pretty quickly after I got back from a run :) so I would expect my heart rate to be elevated.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
Had mine for 3 weeks as of today and I must say it's brilliant! By no means is it a "must have" and that's what I have told people when I have been asked about it, but at the same time, now I have it, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Notifications are great, I would always check my phone to see if I had missed texts, now there is no need, my watch notifies me, and even if I do miss the watch haptic (happens occasionally), I check the time quite often anyway, so I notice the red dot at the top and see what it is without having to pull out my phone.

Voice dication is also helpful. I thought I would never use it, but there have been occasions my phone was upstairs and I was downstairs. Managed to quickly reply to a text without having to go get my phone. The same applies for answering the phone. Means I not longer miss calls when the phone isn't with me and I can answer on my watch then go upstairs and handover to my phone to continue the conversation.

Siri is great for setting reminders. I ask her to remind me to do "xxx" in 15 mins or at a certain time and she just does it. I know that can be done on my phone, but again, sometimes the phone isnt in the same room as me and it saves me taking it out of my pocket. Before the watch I never used Siri....ever!

Apps on the watch are alright, but not great. I did find them handy when passing through airports to check my next flights boarding times, gates, etc. A lot better than digging through my pocket.

Fitness tracking is brilliant. Motivates me to move more, the HRM is accurate to within 5 BPM of a Polar chest strap HRM I tested with, calories burned is quite accurate and it automatically adds the data into MyFitnessPal which is brilliant. Just go for a run with the workout app and it's added automatically.

Overall I would give the watch and 8.5/10, and with WatchOS 2 it looks like it might jump up to a 9/10 with the new features!

Still not a must have device, and its more of a "nice tech toy" than anything, but it is now integral to my life and it's great.

wanderfowl

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Michigan, US
It's a great start, like the first-gen iPhone. Needs 3rd party faces and better software, but give it time. Current battery life is barely adequate if you charge overnight, barely inadequate if you wear it overnight. Only nerds and devs should buy Gen 1, everybody else should buy Gen 2 or 3.

ElctrcJellyfish

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
As a fitness tracker, reliability is ennnnnh, but it's the best fitness motivator I have ever owned. I am 1000% less forgetful with a combination of Hey Siri and reminders. I no longer forget to put out the garbage, put the laundry in the dryer, or any of the other myriad small tasks that I always used to forget. I've never had to use power reserve mode, although I got to 1% battery at 10 PM the night I went for a 3.5-hour hike.

I can't imagine my wrist without an Apple Watch on it, and this is just Gen One. Bring on Gen Two.

sodaftl

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Got it since launch day. Don't reach for my phone every time a text, email or app notification comes, simply look quickly at the AW and dismiss or get to the phone or PC to react. Answering texts on the watch is super fast.

Some apps are better thought than others: the American Airlines app give you actual remaining flying time while still in the air (you have to be connected to their Wi-Fi and have Bluetooth on for the AW, which is okay) but the jetBlue app tells you after 10 min waiting at baggage claim that you have landed (useless!) and their bar code readers at the gate have the same issue as Quantas has: not enough room to insert your wrist and the AW (oops!).

The Apple Passbook app should show the bar code of your boarding pass at the top of the screen rather than all the way at then bottom, so that you don't need to scroll down to find it while trying to go through TSA or board a plane.

Apple Pay is amazing on the AW.

I never finish a day with less than 40% or so of battery charge, which is not too bad.

AW: 38mm SS Link Bracelet
Apple WatchOS: 1.0.1

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I love it! I have to say, I think my most used item is the STAND. I'm quite anal about not only getting my 12 in a day to complete the ring, but i NEED every hour that i'm awake!! I have an office/desk job so STAND (and the fact that I use it) has been a godsend!

i love getting notifications on my wrist.

Now that I've work it for several weeks... i'd REALLY miss it!

I agree with the poster upthread: we need more sport band colors!!!!!!!

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Interesting hearing thoughts from people who wouldn't otherwise wear a watch. My biggest impediment to getting this thing is that I don't want something on my wrist. But, maybe I'll give it a shot anyway.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Love messages. Love being able to easily add to my reminders, shopping list, calendar with Siri. Love not missing texts and phone calls (used to miss them all the time with my phone and could never figure out why). Love using it for golf (took 3-4 rounds to get used to it, now I wouldn't be without it). Milanese Loop looks great wearing a suit. Like the fitness apps (having an accurate measure of calories burned while golfing in an electric cart is valuable all by itself). Like having a black sport band for the weekends. Now that I know how to set favorites for maps the navigation aspect is great. I like not missing turns because I'm listening to music or on the phone because I get a tap on my wrist. Like having the temperature right on my watch face. Like setting custom texts to let my wife know my progress during a round of golf or while I'm out. Everybody who sees me use the Watch wants one. Can't wait for my wife's 38 mm midnight blue to arrive next week so I can send her dopey digital touch drawings during the day.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Owned for over a month. It has fantastic build quality, great software (however with a few bugs here and there). Not essential to my life, however it has motivated me to workout a little more and track my fitness patterns. Great for notifications and taking the quick call here and there. Overall, a great little addition to the Apple family, however, hopefully increased function with more software updates. :)

Echo my thoughts exactly. I am growing quite attached to it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Looks great (SS Classic Buckle w/Chronograph face in off-white) and can be useful when you're on the move and can't keep checking your phone for notifications. Battery life is not a worry at all, and it is a great way to track your daily exercise/fitness/calories. Favourite feature is the timer on the chronograph face, so I can see how long my tea has been brewing. Yes really.

According to my Watch, the above takes about 30 seconds to read out loud.

Reactions: rihia and amcalexa

amcalexa

macrumors member
May 6, 2015
Midwest US
Mine arrived a little over three weeks ago, and I've worn it daily. I've always worn a watch -- This replaced a 22-year-old Mickey Mouse watch that I bought at Disney World, that still looks and works like new. In other words, there was no reason I NEEDED to get one, but I WANTED to get one. I'm on my fifth iPhone (due to upgrades -- I've passed my old ones on to other family members) and my second iPad (same).

I have the 38mm SS with Med Lt Pink MB, and later got a blue SB. I also tried on an ML and loved it, so will probably buy one soon.

Overall, I LOVE the watch. I'm so glad I got it. I'm also glad I waited (several extra weeks) for the pink MB band. It looks great, feels great, and fits great.

Some pleasant benefits:

- Being able to quickly check the temp on the watch face.

- Having Stock Market information available in a glance.

- Being able to easily switch bands and change the watch face to match.

- I hadn't even thought about this ahead of time, but I travel regularly between two time zones, and I've always had to manually adjust my watch. Now it just happens.

- Using ApplePay on the watch is even easier than on the iPhone, and setup is very easy.

- I love the reminder to stand every hour. I sit at a desk a lot and often don't think about how little I'm moving during the day. This nudges me to stand up and stretch or walk a little every so often.

- Third-party rewards card scan codes from Passbook on my iPhone can also be used from the watch. (I've used Walgreens and Speedway Gas so far, and it's easy-peasy.) I also have loaded tickets for a couple events to Passbook and am looking forward to them just scanning my watch for entry.

- I appreciate the ability to customize the text responses. The one I put in immediately, because I text it all the time to my husband and kids, is, "I'm in the driveway."

Some things I'd like to see added in the future:

- A setting to specify the amount of time before time-out when the watch face is active. It's too short now. I'm willing to sacrifice some battery life (within reason) to have a longer display.

- For my news apps to play their videos, or at least the sound, on my wrist instead of on the phone. When I launch them on the watch now, they start playing on the phone in my pocket. Sometimes I do this accidentally, and it's not always cool.

- The ability to pair directly with my Bluetooth car sound system, much as I'd pair with a set of Bluetooth headphones, so I can play what I select on my watch through the car speakers. I can pair, but it doesn't play. My only option is to unpair the watch and pair my iPhone instead, and play from there.

- The ability to record an audible version of words, especially proper nouns/names, that I've added to Shortcuts, so Siri will be more likely to recognize them. Since I can't type to edit on the watch, this is significantly more problematic here than on the iPhone (although it's definitely an inconvenience there. too). Some of the words for my hobby and chorus (barbershop, Melodeers) end up looking really funky. (I get barber her shop and mellow deer's or mellowed ears a lot!)

- A true hot pink or purple Sport Band (not just the salmon that they call pink that's currently available). They made this mistake once with the iPhone 5C, so I was really surprised to see that they made it again with the watch band.

- A stretch, slip-on link bracelet, with a much lighter weight than the Link Bracelet that's currently available. I thought I'd love the Link Bracelet and was going to buy it as a second band, but when I tried it on in the store it was WAY too heavy.

- To be able to send touch drawings and emoticons from my watch to iPhones, not just to other watches. (This may already be coming with the next iOS release. If so, then yay!)

The only thing that has confounded me so far:

One day I looked at my watch and there was a tiny blue crescent moon at the top center of the watch, where the notification red dot usually is. I couldn't figure out what it was and how to remove it. I probably spent 30 minutes messing with it, until I Googled and eventually came across something that mentioned "Do Not Disturb" mode on the iPhone (which I never use). Sure enough, somehow I'd accidentally selected this in the Settings glance on the phone. Once I went back there and deselected this, the little moon disappeared.

Thanks to all of you for your posts, too. I learned a few things! And sorry -- I know it's over 30 seconds, but I was on a roll!

IMG_7845[1].JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac2me

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
When friends ask how I am liking it, I reply that it is actually a lot more useful than I thought it was going to be. I really thought I may either wind up taking it back or else only wearing it sometimes and still wearing my dressier watches but I haven't taken it off my wrist since (except at bedtime). Its the first thing I do in the morning whenI get up. The watch has really simplified my life, even though I have the watch, I don't feel as connected anymore, whereas I can't be without my phone in my hands at all times and it's also greatly helped with my motivation and helping me to work out more.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Maybe one way to put it is: "It doesn't replace the iPhone, it makes the iPhone better. It does this by providing a convenient way to access critical info from the phone much faster and without having it in your hand. And, it's a nice watch."

Reactions: amcalexa

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Had both the Space Gray Sport and the SS Classic Buckle. I took them both back because I didn't really think I was getting enough notifications to justify the purchase. Now I miss it. There are times I will look at my regular watch expecting either the temperature or an alert and am always disappointed. I may end up waiting until they show up on stores again before I decide if I'm buying another one...

Brian Sweeney

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Had mine 8 days....

Definitely can be buggy in setup especially with the calendar. Since getting it working properly I've had no issues.

There are workout algorithm differences compared to traditional running apps & HR monitors. IMO the watch has been consistent in its readings, standing up reminders etc.

Love quick access to my work calendar, time, remote grilling thermometer for BBQ'ing with iGrill

Look forward to native apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.