Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
If fall 2024 introduces a new mechanism, that means bands will have lasted 9.5 years (since early 2015). That seems fair to me.

Not sure if I agree or disagree. That statement is fair enough on the face of it. But they released new ones each season and discontinued the old ones. They treated them like a fashion / collector’s item.

I’m genuinely not sure what one’s expectations should be based on that. At least unfashionable clothes are still useful. I don’t have a huge collection but I bought more than I need. Probably won’t be doing that again when and if I do upgrade to an incompatible watch.

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
The new band system must come with serious benefits over the existing one otherwise it will be a big disappointment.
I disagree with commenters saying 10 years is fair enough, as if most people had acquired a band collection with the Series 0 apple Watch and have been using them for a decade.

I think there are a lot more people that have started using apple watches more recently and purchased extra bands even more recently.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
They have done a lot to make all bands compatible all this time - including for the Ultra, so guess they would have a good reason not to - like completely new design or new features or something like it.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
The new band system must come with serious benefits over the existing one otherwise it will be a big disappointment.
I disagree with commenters saying 10 years is fair enough, as if most people had acquired a band collection with the Series 0 apple Watch and have been using them for a decade.

I think there are a lot more people that have started using apple watches more recently and purchased extra bands even more recently.
Ok and if they have bought a watch recently they don’t NEED to upgrade. They can keep the one they bought recently.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Not the most environmentally-friendly thing they could have done. Does Apple want to be known as the company that produces tons of waste unnecessarily? These bands will all end up in the ocean. If Apple was truly interested in being environmentally friendly, they’d keep the same connector.

Of course, I have a vested interest in keeping my 2021 stainless steel Nomad band (which I love).

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I have a rather large collection of 3rd party bands so this would be disappointing if it ends up being change for change's sake. However I guess we will see how they innovate.

Reactions: Stiksi

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I wouldn’t trust a magnetically attached band during workouts or, even worse, ocean swimming, with my life.
Said this for golf or tennis too.

Personally, I don't think the mechanism will change. I have no evidence or any design qualifications, but just by looking at it, I don't see why it needs to.

Reactions: Razorpit

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Said this for golf or tennis too.

Personally, I don't think the mechanism will change. I have no evidence or any design qualifications, but just by looking at it, I don't see why it needs to.
According to the article it needs to change because it takes up a lot of space that can be used for a bigger battery and other innovations. I suspect they are also looking to make a it a smart connector like the iPad, where people can add bands that provide additional monitoring, or charge the watch, etc....

Reactions: rbramseyjr

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Will buy a series 9 to upgrade from my 6 if this becomes true. Not interested in rebuying the link bracelets.

mattym42089

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
I would happily have a celebratory bonfire for all of my old bands if it meant the watch would get a new design.

Reactions: bigjnyc

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I didn’t buy many bands honestly, the one that came in the box because color choosing was an option and I feel when they release a new model, people will get a new band no matter what, and if they want to get any extra that’s on them. So this is not a huge issue, just people need to know that nothing is forever including watch band capability.

Reactions: krspkbl

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I dont mind swapping my soft bands, they get replaced periodically now. My disappointment will be my Apple branded stainless link band. It has the ability to last a lifetime. No longer being able to use it on future models would be too bad. That said, I would still support the change since I understand things need to evolve.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i don't plan on buying next years model. i'm keeping my S9 for another 3 years at least. and when i do get a new model i'll sell it or recycle it. so i really don't care.

Reactions: Basic75

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
If fall 2024 introduces a new mechanism, that means bands will have lasted 9.5 years (since early 2015). That seems fair to me.
Unless you were a 1st time buyer with the S9. Then your bands lasted 1 year. How many years was the 3.5mm audio jack around until Apple had the courage to drop it? I think the bands should last that long.

Reactions: PaladinGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.