"your computer restarted because of a problem" over and over again

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by joejoejoe, Oct 1, 2015.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

since updating to el capitan, my computer keeps restarting and then giving me this black screen that says "your computer restarted because of a problem, press any key".... etc in various languages.

this has happened about 8 times since yesterday afternoon.

any idea what's going on?!??!?

2. TsMkLg068426 macrumors 65816

Same here it seems to be a issue when your Mac goes to sleep this a really bad start for El Capitan.

3. merrlyne macrumors newbie

I had this exact same issue last night when I installed El Capitan. What fixed my issue was to go into recovery mode and simply shut down completely. After it rebooted it worked fine.

4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

strange--I prevented my computer from sleeping all day yesterday so it could index and this problem still happened a dozen times.

6. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

7. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

were you trying to do anything taxing on your system when it happened?
    i was working on some files in photoshop so i wonder if it was that...

then again this morning i just opened my laptop when all i had running was chrome and it did it right then and there.

8. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

First I got my MBPro 5,1 stuck on startup screen with progress bar for hours. Now I have restart loop with black screen and the message in many languages that asks me to wait or press key for restart...

Things happened fresh after installation of El Capitan. Have not seen logging screen at all.

9. chevalier433, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015

chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

This happened with previous versions of Yosemite too.i have encounter it with El Cap GM one time.With final version too early to tell.I believe is related with app compability.In Yosemite I remember happened after a handbrake sessions.Never happened with Mavericks all perfect.

10. 413x3 macrumors newbie

I have this problem too. 2011 macbook air. Upgraded yesterday. I have vlc and firefox beta 42 running. Maybe it's caused by firefox in full screen mode? That is my only guess. Nothing else running. How can I check the cause?

11. krenka7 macrumors newbie

Happens to me every time I try to enter Time Machine or backup.

12. 413x3 macrumors newbie

Have not had one after not using full screen option on apps. Only maximised firefox. vmware fusion crashes on startup though have to restart the computer going go also try maximized not full screen for that.

13. Write-more macrumors newbie

This issue has also happened to me about 10 times today. How to fix this? I also have Time Machine enabled, so maybe the issue is related to that, but seriously I can't use my mac now for work if it just randomly shuts down. Oh why did I ever update.

14. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I had the problem of it giving me a black screen on the GM. I changed out the adapter on my external display and the black screen stopped showing up.
    Not too sure why it just became a problem all the sudden.

15. siddhartha macrumors member

siddhartha

I had this issue with Yosemite on a brand-new riMac.

Actually upgrading to el Cap solved the problem (mostly). I've had 1-2 of these random reboots in about 3 months of using el Cap.

Did you try the clean install?

16. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Had this issue also in Yosemite. Repaired permissions, etc..Did not have any issues with Mavericks. Did update to El Cap on Wednesday evening and everything seemed to go OK. Have had no issues with TM or other back up.
    This morning, started up and the black window bar hung at halfway. Had to hard close and restart. Everything seems to be OK at this time. At this point, will just make sure backups are current and possibly start testing apps. Somewhat disappointing to have issues. Will see if they have a .01 update soon.
    Running Mac Mini 2012 quad.

17. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

FWIW hasn't happened to me since the first day of updating... but i have been taking it easier on my machine

18. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Hasn't happend to me ever. I'll keep my eye out for it though.

19. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

It started after the installation. I was unable to do anything. Either freeze on progress bar on startup screen either restart loop. :(

20. Judy Terboss macrumors newbie

Judy Terboss

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) is doing the same thing, since the upgrade. It restarts at least every hour & the only program I'm using is Safari. I keep hoping an update will address this issue.

21. Judy Terboss, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  22. dsemf macrumors regular

Remove Symantec.

DS

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Have you tried going to apple site for feedback?

24. Judy Terboss macrumors newbie

Judy Terboss

I honestly thought I would get that comment. Thanks I will.

25. armadillomagic macrumors newbie

Has anybody found a solution for this? I'm running 10.11.1 and it still happens to me.