Your extreme measures of protection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AFPoster, Aug 5, 2008.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So basically I want to know everyones stories (or dumb ones) on how careful they are with their phone. I will start off by listing some of mine so you get the idea.

1) I was in the bedroom laid (not tossed) my iPhone on my bed. As I am taking my shirt off my wife runs in the room kisses me on the back which obviously leads to sex. So before I throw her on the bed I tell her to stop. I grab my iPhone and carfully lay it on my end-table next to it's charger. Then I continue with my wife.

2) At the dinner table I have my iPhone next to me, when food is served I carefully place my iphone in a different area avoiding all food, and the chances of someone walking by with food or drinks.

3) I am at a house party, so to impress everyone (which my looks do that already) I whip out the iPhone, and yes eyes glar up saying "wait you got the new iPhone, ah you bastard, let me see". So I show it off, but when I am ready to drink / jump in the pool I walk my iPhone into the house find a kick'n hiding spot and place it there, then cover it with my shirt while still keeping it hidden and then commence to drink.

So anyways those are some of the few I have done and will always do since my iPhone is my baby. Yes this may be extreme, but OMG... it's a flippen iPhone so you must take upmost care of it.

2. kristiaand macrumors member

mine is going naked all the time, i am paranoid about any damage done to it but i tried a crystal case for it,
    A) it looked AWFUL
    B) loads of dust and crap kept getting in between the case and the phone, so i got paranoid about it.

so mostly i keep it in my pocket with nothing else in there except my train ticket. it sits in its dock when im at home and when im at work it sits within my vision on my desk on top of my wallet (convient in case someone want to rob me) :)

when im on the train i tend to hold onto it like a gold bar when people are getting on and off the train, just incase someone goes for the snatch and RUN like hell trick (Still feels sweet to see ppl look at me, u know there thinking ooohh hes got an iphone).

the only time i have given it to friends to look at BOTH of them have dropped it. luckily it was onto the sofa they were sitting on, or i may have had to kill them both....

3. hkftw macrumors member

I tend to place my phone in a death grip if someone glances at me while I'm using it

4. TribalToy macrumors newbie

(1) after touching food I refuse to touch my iphone untill my hands are throughly cleaned
    (2) Before making love to my lady I set my phone FAR far away from my bed.
    (3) I very rarely let my friends *see my phone unless im holding it
    (4) I went camping and before I went to bed, I tucked my iphone into my shoe which I made a mini sleeping bag for...(protect it from mildew)

5. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

not much, i put bodyguardz on it for scratches and i got a sena elega pouch, but other than that I could care less. worst case scenario i break it and pay 200 or so for a repair.

Im sure 1 year from now a NEW iPhone will be out, so i'll just upgrade anyways

6. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Does this make you feel too beholden to an inanimate object? It is taking precedence over your carnial urges to some extent. Sounds like how an addict would care for and keep track of their stash at all times. Reminds me of a classic fight club movie quote by brad pit's character, "things you own end up owning you".

Time to leave the the gas stove on and wait for the pilot light to kick in ;)

7. daniel huxtable macrumors member

im sorry but i dont let anyone touch or handle my iphone 3g. they always look like they are rough with it. they think i'm crazy but tell that to them when they spend $330 for a phone.

8. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Just my .02

Wow. It's a freaking phone! You are crazy. :D But seriously, it's not like it's an irreplaceable object. You break it, go buy another. If you can't afford to spend 350$ on a replacement phone you probably shouldn't be buying the iPhone to begin with.

9. Linuss macrumors regular

So just because someone saved up for a bit to treat themselves, they aren't allowed to have it in the first place if it took more then 1 paycheck to save?

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Meh, I guess I'm kinda rough with mine. Unless I'm gonna be setting it on its back on strange surfaces alot, it's normally naked and protectionless. I toss it on my bed when I get home *haven't missed it yet, knock on wood*, and the bloody thing still looks new :) I've only ever dropped it twice, and those were both onto the linoleum floor in my room. Those are truly heart-stopping moments, watching it tumble in slow-motion.

11. daniel huxtable macrumors member

could you point me in the direction of your money tree?

12. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I tend to hold onto it a little tighter than is probably warranted. Mine is totally naked too, so I only put it down on certain surfaces to prevent scratches. No tile or ceramic, heck, no hard surfaces at all. I always put it down on soft surfaces or cloth.

13. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

its usually in my pocket - its naked about half the time, the only other things allowed in the iphone pocket are its headphones. my keys and whatever else go in the other pocket.

and im careful of where i put it at night - it only goes on my desk on my macbook's microfiber cloth. i put it on the macbook's cloth because its much bigger than the iphone's.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just picked up the Griffin Leather w/belt clip, then I put on BSE. When I'm at home I take it out of the Griffin case, and wipe it down with iKlear and polish it. I place it on top of a piece of leather, and say nite, nite. :p

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

i keep it naked in my pocket wrapped around a microfiber cloth....i dont like fingerprints on it or nothin...so that cloth stays with me wherever i go..and i clean the iPhone screen with it, after every time i 'SLIDE to UNLOCK'

16. JWages macrumors regular

Wow. Arrogant, much?

17. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Ha ha, I had to quote it.

18. Zephgx macrumors member

1. At home, set it on top of microfiber cloth from iKlear and cover it when not in use. Clean the phone sometimes

2. When going out or running, either its in a plastic ziplock bag (sorry but no case yet :( )
    naked, or wrapped in food wrap with nothing in the pocket anymore (learned my lesson about putting the iPhone with wrap and the packaged earphones. Got a nice cluster of scratches on bezel and long scratch on the home button)

3. Eating food, don't even THINK about touching the phone and I go wash my hands to start using the phone

4. When showing it to a friend, just leave it as is since I know they wouldn't drop it carelessly.

19. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

wow.. much MUCH?

People shouldn't "much" so much. It's a little much, MUCH. :cool:

20. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

As you may be right, it's still something most saved for or purchased without any problems. So something I follow is: If I spend a good bit of money for something I know I will take care of it because I know it's not cheap nor does it come by easily. So I will maintain it to the best of my ability.

For example if you buy a new car, you will baby it for a while until it gets it's first nick, then you try and fix it, then it gets a dent and so on. Eventually you will not care for your car like you did at the beginning, but you will have cared for it more than an iPhone at the start because 1 it was pricey, 2 you bought it no one bought it for you or helped you (loans obviously but thats besides the point) so of course we tend to baby things we purchase, even more than we should thats life and thats a Mac user.

21. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

You probably won't insure your house or car because, pff... If you could afford to buy it you can probably afford to repace it if something happens right?

I've heard this "if you can't afford to buy another you shouldn't have bought it" arguement and it's DUMB! I paid for a 200 dollar phone, not 2 phones for 400 dollars. I would not have bought 2 iPhones for 400.

If you can't use logic, you shouldn't be posting on our forums.

22. cubedweller macrumors 6502

This isn't your forum. Sorry buddy. And I'll repeat: It's a freaking phone -- not a collectible-once in a life-time irreplaceable item. If it breaks, you have a bad day and you go by another (after all, most of us buying Apple products aren't looking for the cheapest good on the shelf, we're looking for quality, and we pay a premium for it). But if your so paranoid as to not let anyone "touch or handle" your phone, you have other things to worry about.

23. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Hence me saying "our".

I, for one, can't really buy a new one if it breaks. I'd be buying a junker until I can afford a new one. Just treating things rashly and buying new ones when they break is wasteful. There is no reason not to be careful because you don't want to buy a new one.

24. shrtmkr macrumors regular

why would you guys need to put on a casing for protecting the cheap *ss plastic?It probably costs no more than $1 to make the entire back casing in WS prices, no matter how much you paid for it.

25. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

it might have cost Apple $1 dollar, but it cost me 300+ SO I'm gonna make sure its nice and protected.