Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
What is your favorite feature in the iPhone lineup?

I have the iPhone 12 since last April. Before I had the 4 and 6S Plus. I’m amazed constantly at how seamless, fast and easy FaceID works combined with its security.

I’ve tried face unlock previously on different Android devices, but none are as secure because they just use the front camera. They aren’t as fast as FaceID either.

I just tap the screen to turn it on and it unlocks right after. Knowing it’s the most safe face unlock method in the industry makes me love it every time more and more.

Way more comfortable than using any fingerprint sensor.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Ultra wide camera lens, AirDrop, and easy battery replacement options.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Consistency. For the most part, model to model, things work the same way they always have. When things change, it's usually because Apple introduced something new.

With other manufacturers, each one seems to have their own way things work and even with pure Android (Pixel), Google changes stuff from version to version.

Rom-Cool

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2021
I'm still a big fan of TouchID, which is also why I stick to my SE 2020, and will probably also buy the next SE if it also gets TouchID.

I use the Back Tap feature a lot, and was really happy when they introduced it. I love shortcut options.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wi-Fi calling and SMS forwarding. Means I can get all my calls and messages on iPad and/or AppleWatch even when I forget my phone at home. iCloud Sync's great, too.

Also, little touches like 2FA codes from SMS auto-populating when I log in to websites.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Consistency
Agreed. The core elements of the iOS experience have been remarkably stable for a long time now.

'Consistency' it's a positive theme in lots of others ways. For instance, the iPhone cameras - the camera to me is a way of capturing special memories, but it's also a day-to-day workhorse: every day I need to snap documents, notes on whiteboards, room layouts, make short videos for my students, etc. Very rarely do I have to go back and reshoot because the white balance, focus or something else was wrong. This reliablity is often mentioned in iPhone vs other phone camera reviews too.

Consistency is also a strength in terms of the different iPhone models year-to-year. Some generations have a real 'wow' factor, and others feel more like incremental revisions. But (unless you are a TouchID or headphone jack bitter-ender) Apple basically doesn't release bad iPhones.

Reactions: eyoungren

bunnyechoes

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2017
Slovenia
Airdrop, Handoff and iCloud documents are my favourite features, as is the camera (I'm not a fan of overly saturated photos, so iPhone's camera works great for me).

Reactions: Barbareren

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Lots of great answers here, and I agree with most of them, but for me the single best feature I've enjoyed on iPhone is iCloud Photo Library.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I'm still a big fan of TouchID, which is also why I stick to my SE 2020, and will probably also buy the next SE if it also gets TouchID.

I use the Back Tap feature a lot, and was really happy when they introduced it. I love shortcut options.
I agree with this a lot. I DID opt to upgrade from my SE 2020 to a 13 mini, and I don't regret that decision...but replacing Touch ID with Face ID I have found a big step backwards in usability, for reasons other than masks, and only some of the issues would be solved with an under-the-screen reader. It's the only thing I've been disappointed in about my new phone.

Of course, the iPhone X came out in 2017, so many many users have made the transition in the last four-plus years. I'm expecting that by a year from now I'll be fine with it.

Reactions: arkitect

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
I use AirDrop quite a bit, also Apple Maps and Dictation where ever I can. Being a photography hobbyist I like the camera on the 12 Pro Max also. And although I haven't use it much yet, the Translation app in conversation mode is pretty cool. Being someone who only speaks one language but lives in the greater Los Angeles area with multiple cultures, at least it's there if/when the need comes up.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
for me the single best feature I've enjoyed on iPhone is iCloud Photo Library.
Great shout! Over many years, many upgrade cycles, across endless combinations of devices, with a library tens of thousands of photos and videos, iCloud Photo Library has been absolutely rock solid for me. I can't ever remember having had a significant problem with it. Google Photos is very impressive too!

Reactions: lkalliance

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2018
Apple Pay without a doubt.

Before this came along mobile payments either needed a secure sim card (which no networks ever supported in the UK) or you had obscure features like Google Wallet in the US.

Apple as usual took an obscure feature and made it essential overnight. I very rarely take my actual wallet anywhere these days.

Reactions: lkalliance

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just came to mind: no carrier bloatware.

Before the iPhone, I remember even feature phones purchased on plan had carrier bloatware installed. It was the same with Android as well. Regardless of whether you bought top of the line or $0 with 2 year contract, phones were riddled with carrier bloatware. On Verizon CDMA, you had no choice but put up with it since you can't use unlocked GSM phones on their network.

Haven't bought a carrier-branded Android in recent years so dunno if this is still the case.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
I'd have to say iCloud Keychain. It's such a pleasure to not have to remember the hundreds of passwords that I have. I know there are third-party apps that might be slightly better but the seamless integration is great.
And now they have two factor authentication built into it, which is a massive improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.