Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosshatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
The ability to zoom in and crop videos in the browser, very annoying on an Android phone when i have to watch a 'cinematic video' with massive black bars around it.

Also the ability to tap the top of the screen to go to the top of the page

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
It's hard to decide on just one.

1. I like that I can basically copy my old phone to a new phone by hovering the circle over that blue cloud.
2. As someone mentioned before, I like the seamless integration of products in the Apple ecosystem. I only use an iPhone, but I've spoiled my parents with iPads, Apple TV, and AirPods. Logging them in and/or pairing devices is so easy.
3. I like that the menus are the same regardless of which iPhone is being used. My parents are first generation, so their phones are set to their first language. Whenever I have to troubleshoot something for them, I simply use my phone to follow along. This wouldn't work with an Android phone. The menu on a Samsung will be different from a Google Pixel, which will be different from a OnePlus.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
There are a lot of features that incorporate the ecosystem but my recent favorite is AirPods Pro seamlessly switching between devices. It was buggy for a while but now it just works so smoothly.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I guess for me, the number one feature is battery life. I am ending the day with my iPhone 13 pro max at around 70%, and while it's to be expected of a new device with fresh software, I expect it to remain an all-day phone years down the road as well, simply because it has so much extra juice to spare. A few months ago, I was running out and about all day due to some family matters and it was nice to just not have to worry about your phone running dry before the end of the day.

I like the Apple Watch for the numerous conveniences it brings (face unlock, Apple Pay, notifications, shortcuts, music controls), as well as the AirPods (still getting used to Siri controls). That said, while I have previously said that I am fine with the watch's battery life, it is coming dangerously close to running dry before the end of the day (usually around 20% when I get home from work). I guess being a teacher is busy and hectic work? ?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
A simple feature that I’ve newly discovered and found very helpful is actually the Magnifier app. I’m still too stubborn to get glasses lol, so it’s very useful for me reading tiny print and also to see things far away more clearly. Great little app that I’ve never thought about before 🙂

Reactions: arkitect

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
The hardware mute button on the left side-probably the thing I find most convenient about iPhones and I use it multiple times daily.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
TouchID used to cause me endless frustration, especially in the winter when my skin is dry so I'd say FaceID as the top. AirDrop is incredibly handy, especially for sharing photos. Apple Pay is great but I completely stopped using it on my phone once I got an Apple Watch. I still love the Night Mode with the camera. Makes photos look drastically better than if they were just taken with a flash.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some great listings in this thread. Great thread idea to be honest, something Apple should focus on too in the spring and summer months after each release to keep sales going without letting any dips.

For me, so many things, more of the years to:
1st: 3G/3GS = Music playback. Long before the Motorola ROKR was announced, I was using SonyEricsson phones for music and their phones, always new having both was the holy grail (as I’m sure many here felt when the OG iPhone was announced with ‘a wide-screen touch ipod’; sorry if I screwed that up). Music playback had always sucked on phones or PDA’s (even Sony’s Clié lineup). Apple got it right!

2nd: 3G/3GS = Safari & browsing. Even without Flash back then browsing the internet was smooth, worked very well, and was easy to use. Sure I surfed on SonyEricssons (Opera Mini WAP browser with some HTML), Nokia S60 phones (N80 onward had the exact same KTHML support as Safari just much smaller screen so they implemented ”mini-map” to zoom in on such a small screen. Steve Jobs incorrectly criticized the Nokia E61's browser as a WAP (baby internet) browser, which was incorrect. E61 had a full browser that supported HTML/KTHML, JavaScript, and FlashLite. (Just informing because many don't know that Nokia worked with Apple on their browser before the N80 launched April 2006.

The new S60 browser, based on Safari's WebCore and JavascriptCore components, is also found on the N80. The 'minimap' feature allows you to see a full page at a glance and navigate around it, while other new features include 'visual history' and support for RSS feeds. The new browser will provide Opera and NetFront with significant competition. However, Opera, with its recent 8.5 release, comes close to providing similar functionality and continues to innovate at a pace unlikely to be matched by Nokia because of constraints imposed by being part of the platform offering

Still browsing on iPhone was just a better experience due to the larger screen and no need to zoom in.

3rd: Touch ID/Face ID: The amount of work Apple put into this, along with Phil Schiller being the PERFECT person at Apple to explain this and the face of trust for any Apple fan at Apple, right down to his voice was delivered expertly! After seeing biometrics first come into smartphones with the Motorola Atrix (Android) which failed (biometrics first appeared on the Compaq iPaq PDA bout 2-3yrs before) was junk! Every Android phone that had it until iPhone 5S also SUCKED, buggy, and useless. The fact Apple implemented Secure Enclave was pure genius!

4: App Store: Many here may not have used smartphones or phones as long as i have or remember issues with carrier apps you couldn't take when you switched phones (even with the same carrier) or the very first sort of store was via hardware with Nokia NGage platform that got hacked and many company's LOST millions! I find it funny how now so many want the iPhone to be an Android or computer in terms of payment etc. no thanks not for me - it's not broken.

There is so much more I or anyone here can say and EACH would be incredibly valid ... but the top of it all, or to sum it all up is ...

I enjoy USING my iPhone!
From powering it on, picking it up, using it for whatever - sure there are some improvements that can be made, oversights adjusted here and there but overall, day to day, month after month, year after, model after model ...

I enjoy using my iPhone!
- I can thank Apple and all the incredible developers out there that have made this all possible and continue to do so. Last but not least is the entire community here and abroad that has helped me and many others learn things, share insights, corrections, tips etc, which I've helped as well.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
In addition to everything else mentioned, I’ve found the scanning feature in the native Notes app to be very useful. I’ve used it several times to scan documents into PDF files. Works great (for those who might not be aware of the feature) ?

Last edited:

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
In addition to everything else mentioned, I’ve found the scanning feature in the native Notes app to be very useful. I’ve used it several times to scan documents into PDF files. Works great (for those who might not be aware of the feature) ?
An excellent feature indeed. We’ve been involved in an intense business transaction recently and it has proven to.be quite useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbareren

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That reminds me. Live Text is insanely useful. I've used it for translating text, tracking a package from a paper receipt, calling a phone number, sending an email, etc.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
A simple feature that I’ve newly discovered and found very helpful is actually the Magnifier app. I’m still too stubborn to get glasses lol, so it’s very useful for me reading tiny print and also to see things far away more clearly. Great little app that I’ve never thought about before 🙂
I thought the magnifier was great to until I discovered that it had a camera feature incorporated into it.
Now I think it's EXCELLENT!:D

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.