Your favourite Coffee

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Schtumple, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Guys, I love coffee, I love trying new coffee, so I thought I'd create a thread seeing what coffee people call their favourite.

Mine is Don Francisco's Vanilla Nut.

[​IMG]

It's smooth, a little sweet and the best morning coffee I've ever had. It pains me that it can't be bought in the UK, my last tin ran out a few months ago now and I've yet to find a single replacement for it.

What's yours?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have the good fortune to live in Portland OR where the variety of good coffee is only challenged by the variety of good beer. I am not sure if any of the coffee is available Nationally or regionally, but I do like STUMPTOWN. One of the bigger Portland roasters...

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I order green beans (unroasted) from Sweet Marias website, and roast my own.

The blends I enjoy are New Classic Espresso Blend, Monkey Espresso Blend, and Liquid Amber Espresso Blend...for any who roast their own.

5. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Metropolis batch of Redline right now is phenomenal. Otherwise some of my fave roasters I order from are Klatch, Fair Mountain Coffee Roasters, Stumptown, Cafe Don Pablo, etc. Anything prepackaged and preground is a no no, stale.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmmmmm, I'll have to check them out!

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Agreed ^^^

One of the Rule of 15s states that once roasted, if properly stored, coffee is good for 15 days. Best to buy coffee from a place that roasts it and packages it immediately. Most pre-roasted packaged coffees have been in storage of unknown duration and unknown conditions.

For really fresh coffee, getting whole beans from a source no more than a few days after roasting is best...if possible.

8. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Coffee is coffee. Don't be influenced by marketing or coffee snobs.

You can't beat Folgers Crystals. Freeze dried, which preserves the freshness until you drink it. With Folgers Instant Coffee crystals, you can have that rich aroma and delicious taste whenever and wherever you want it—just pick your style.

;)

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The Best Part of Waking Up!

;)

10. Mr. McMac, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I wake up to a few cups of percolated Kirkland Signature Colombian Coffee every morning. I guess you can say it's a favorite of mine

Edit: Forgot to mention, I drink coffee black with no sugar.

[​IMG]

11. And macrumors 6502

And

Let the coffee flaming wars commence...?!

I will drink any filter coffee which has a strength rating of 3 or 4 and have no favourite. But I will never drink instant coffee. Bleurgh. :D

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no favorite - any port in the storm so to speak. I don't like overly strong coffee, so I opt for a mild blend and I'll buy what ever is cheapest at that point.

I use Kerurig k-cups and so I'm able to find something fairly decently priced

13. SandboxGeneral, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My favorite coffee for drip is from Tim Hortons, a Canadian coffee shop chain. For espresso, I've just fallen in love with Sweet Maria's Liquid Amber blend. I think some pretentious coffee madman snob in this thread may have mentioned that blend already. :D

14. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Of all pre-ground, pre-packaged coffees I really like:

[​IMG]

Un-ground beans I would have to say Formula Rossa as sold by the 'Algerian Coffee Stores' in London's Old Compton Street. That stuff is amazing! :eek:

And to rile up the coffee snobs, I also don't mind a cup of Kenko's Decaff once in a while, to keep things in perspective. Yeah that's right... I went there. :D

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

As I am familiar with the posts of the above two MR members, I would warn readers that both were just recently released from their local laughing academy and are heavily medicated and under the care of many doctors.

It's sad...but we do try to humor them....be kind!

:p:p

I can't imagine to whom this individual is referring...but it is true that lurking among us is a dangerous and deeply demented coffee freak.:eek:

The above comments are a public service to the readers of this thread.

BWHAHAHA!

Just a note that I should have included in my initial post...no matter what coffee you use, or what method of production is employed----the most important rule is...if you like it, and the coffee pleases you, that's all that matters!

16. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

A lot of local coffee shops serve it, freshly roasted and ground.

-t

17. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

18. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Ack, outed!

OK, fine.

My current favorite coffee is Sweet Maria's Espresso Monkey Blend, roasted by yours truly and used up (or down?) 4-8 days after roasting.

Also greatly enjoying Blue Bottle Decaf Noir, suggested by one of the Espresso Nuts from the other thread.

19. Shrink, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Tha last of the Rule of 15s states...coffee should be served within 15 seconds of brewing.

Perhaps just a bit of an overstatement (to stay constant with the other "15s")...I wouldn't spit out coffee if served 30 or 40 seconds after brewing!;)

But coffee is best when served immediately after brewing is complete.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Funnily enough, I tried Blue Bottle a couple of times, and thought it was lackluster. Much better coffee can be had, that's for sure.

Stumptown, I agree, is excellent. Up on the top of my list, easily.

Klatch... is an interesting one. The one in Ontario? Ok-ok. The one in Rancho Cucamonga? The second-worst cup of coffee I've ever had (the worst was at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf... *barf*)

But the one in San Dimas? One of the best cups of coffee I've ever had.

21. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Coffee is NOT coffee. Some of us can taste and smell the difference between Starbucks and others, and even different blends of Starbucks. Coffee is not coffee.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, I must have missed something in this thread.

Did anyone suggest that there was no differences between coffees?

It seems to me that the essence of this thread is the desire of folks to share their favorite coffees...pretty much diametrically opposed to the notion that there is no difference between coffees.

23. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Someone above said coffee is coffee, I'm just correcting him.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Kona is my favorite. I had it for the first time in Hawaii and sadly haven't had it since :( Anytime I try and buy it its a blend that tastes nothing like Kona :(

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I found the post to which you are referring. I know the poster...he was just kidding. He's a pretty sophisticated coffee guy and was teasing.:D