Your Favourite Commencement Speech

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bradl, May 19, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I thought I'd put this to an open-ended poll, to see which one you'd like, and why.

As it's that time of the year again, NPR recently hand-picked over 300 College Commencement addresses going back to 1774 and posted them in a searchable page online. The speeches included are from people from all over the celebrity spectrum, from Bill Cosby, to Hank Aaron, current and former Presidents, Kermit the Frog, Mother Teresa, Steve Jobs, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Tim Cook, Chuck Norris, Angela Ahrendts, Alan Alda, Seth MacFarlane, JK Rowling, Glenn Beck, Dolly Parton, Bill Clinton (you know how he loves podiums! ), Denzel Washington, etc... all over the map. Right now, I'm watching the full post of Seth MacFarlane's speech, and it's hilarious.

which one is your favourite? and why? I know that with over 300 to choose from, it's hard to put together a poll, but have a read or watch some of the videos of the speeches, and tell us what you think the best is.

BL.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I loved the Peter Dinklage speech. Timothy Shriver was mine. He was quite good. The Jobs at Stanford one has become iconic at this point.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

4. Eva Thyssen macrumors newbie

Eva Thyssen

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The commencement speech delivered by J. K. Rowling at Harvard in 2008 was pretty impressive.

Entitled: "The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination" she raised the sort of issues not usually addressed (let alone acknowledged) in such speeches (nor, indeed, to such an audience.)

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

What I noticed by browsing through some of these was the presentation. Jobs, for being such a dynamic keynote presenter, stood there and read his, barely looking up. Conan O'Brian came off like a standup comic (go figure), but his message hit home. Church Norris seemed a bit meandering. Adam Savage was very relatable to the audience. I'll have to take some time and listen to a few more.

Thanks for the link!

7. arjo macrumors member

arjo

Adam Savage's speech for Sarah Lawrence's Class of 2012.

http://www.slc.edu/news-events/even...adam-savage-commencement-keynote-address.html

My favorite bits:

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young...

"Wear Sunscreen" is one of my favorite faux commencement speeches...

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

Conan O'Brien's was pretty impressive to me. I always liked his quote -

"But today I tell you that whether you fear it or not, disappointment will come. The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality."

J.K. Rowling's might be the best overall.

Jobs' was pretty great as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of equally awesome speeches from non-mega celebrities that deserve some attention too.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks for this it is wonderful. Over the last couple of years Adam Savage has quickly becoming one of my idols. It all stated with his TED talk (My Obsession with Objects and the Stories They Tell) - everything he does is so consistently infectious. And that commencement speech is no exception.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You people are amazing! I'm woefully inadequate and ignorant to have a favorite. :p