Your Future Mac Mini Wish List

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by driftmr2, Oct 31, 2010.

1. driftmr2 macrumors member

What would be on your future Mac Mini wish list? With the recent refresh of the MBA, it got me thinking...

• Smaller Chassis
    • Quad-core processor
    • Flash Nano Storage
    • Optical drive removed

2. lcseds macrumors 6502a

A current generation processor would be nice.
    Since the next jump in computers without an all-in-one configuration is the expensive Mac Pro, I'd like to see a Mac Mini, a Mac Mini Server, and a Mac Mini Extreme. Extreme using more the i5 with more robust graphics and a 500gb hard drive.
    No middle ground with Apple. If you don't want an Imac, you may choose between a Mini with a processor that is 3 years old, or a Pro that's over two grand. Shameful.

3. vert18 macrumors member

gigabyte wifi
    esata external plug
    install disk given on a usb stick
    quad core cpu
    more memory
    3d capable gpu
    ssd x 2 of 2terabytes
    dockable(for rechargeing) wireless keyboard _mini_ with apple trackpad and number keypad.... no not the logitec crap

4. vert18 macrumors member

doesnt need blu-ray built in... an external one is just fine with me

But... support for blu-ray natively would be a good wish list

5. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

I agree. Apple says they don't want to go with another processor because they want to keep the mini at a low power consumption. There are plenty of more modern low power chips on the market now that could theoretically be used.

6. hoopster macrumors member

OH YES!

7. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

i5
    5 USB ports
    At least a decent mid-range laptop graphics card. No more of this 320m type ****.

Thats all I can think of.

8. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

4GB of ram standard
    SSD
    eSata port (there are much more eSata ext drives than fw800)
    Much better cooling!!! Gaming really gets the Mini very hot so I use an external fan to help cool the case.
    :eek:

2GB of ram and the slow hdd are totally crippling the new Mini. Many people say it is supposed to be faster than my old PowerMac dual 2.7 LC. The fact is my old PowerMac was often faster than my new Mini until I upgraded the Mini's ram and hdd. It is now the machine it should have been, straight from Apple in the first place, without me having to perform surgery to swap the hdd.

9. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Very hot? It barely gets to 140 at the hottest after like 3 hours of heavy gaming. My PowerBook used to push 190...

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Three models:

1. Return to $499 price of base model.
    2. Mac mini server needs design mods to be more server-like:
    a. Get rid of sound/speaker, dual monitor connections, less video RAM overhead (256MB is too much!), SD slot. None of this is useful for a server.
    b. Add second FW800 or ESATA. Improves disk bandwidth.
    c. Add second Ethernet port. Allows using mini as router without USB dongle.
    3. Create a new "high end" non-server model with higher performance (like everyone else is clamoring for!)

11. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Make it three to four times as tall. Room for optical drive and two internal hard drives. Put iPhone and iPod docks on top of it. Put jacks, ports and card slots on front where you can reach them. Have a slide out tray to access the RAM.

12. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Bigger Hard drive.
    More RAM.
    Faster CPU (s)
    More USB ports at the back.
    2 x USB ports at the front.
    Programmes (Office, Photoshop etc that can be run from memory sticks.
    Price cap at £100 or $150 subsidised by Bill Gates. :rolleyes:

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

where to begin.

well they made the new design so it will stick around. so how about

no hdd flash instead. 80gb 120gb 240gb.

4gb ram 8gb ram

a 3.06 i3 a 3.20 i3 a 3.60 i5 same as the small imac

an esata slot.

only hdmi 2 of them

1 more usb2

while usb3 is nice not important.

pull the dvd if you pull the hdd and pull the dvd it will run cooler and have more space inside. the esata would give you real connect-ability. the unit would sell. make the base model have 80 gb flash for the hdd and 4gb ram. user can add an esata enclosure and have a real ht setup.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

That's what I'd be looking for. Small Flash HDD to boot and store programs, and a super fast eSata connection to store as much as I'd want.

15. bry223 macrumors regular

My realistic wishlist;

i3
    7200rpm HD's stock
    4gb of RAM stock
    Possibly a Mid Range GPU as a BTO

16. xheathen macrumors 6502

Being remotely realistic?

i3 2.93ghz and 3.2ghz models - the i3's certainly can maintain the very low power consumption Apple's always toted the mini with having.

4gb ram should be standard

I'd like to see a discrete video card, even if it was the nVidia 330m, but seeing so many advancements in the video card department and how newer processors are actually building video into them, I have no idea how this could look next year.

7200 RPM hard drive - I think it would be a really nice addition also to allow an option to add a 40gb SSD for the OS. They can certainly fit that into a mac mini case.

USB 3.0

Those components are certainly within the price bracket they are asking for mac minis. With some of the "bells and whistles" added there, I get you'd probably end up paying about $1000 for a 3.2ghz model with 4gb of ram and a 40gb SSD. But I think that would actually be worth it for those who don't want an imac.

17. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

18. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

i3's maybe a dual core i5 BTO option
    MBA style 64gb ssd BTO to 128 or 256
    Optional Optical drive or 500gb HDD
    Discrete GPU
    I think the current model is good with style and ports, eSATA would be nice, but that's never going to happen.

This package could totally come in cheaper maybe get back to the $499 mark, but probably $599.

19. dcdsguy macrumors newbie

i5 processor
    4 gb ram
    eSATA
    usb 3.0
    too much to ask: blu-ray

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

SSD built in and you get to choose between:

2 Core Duo
    Quad Core
    i3
    i5
    i7

That way you can have a powerful i5 or i7 if you wish, or a 2 core duo if you are on a low budget :)

21. -SD- macrumors 6502

I think the Mini will be the first Apple desktop to go fully SSD and remove the optical drive completely. The iMac won't be far behind with the removal of the Super Drive though.

The Mac App Store is another push towards making the optical drive obsolete. If you really need to burn discs then buy an external Super Drive drive, even though everyone else is generally using USB pens or HDDs.

:apple:

22. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I'd like to see 2 firewire ports with one bieng FW800, and the other being FW1600. I am sick of Apple letting firewire go fallow in favor of inferior protocols.
    esata would be nice, i5 or i7 would rule.
    BLUE RAY! Reading and writing as well.
    USB 3.0. I've used this on the new stinkpads and it is amazing how fast it detects and mounts USB thumb drives. And I dont think we need so many damn USB ports! 3 is fine, I would gladly give up 1 usb for an esata or 2nd 1394.
    And seriously the SD slot is just silly. I use those, but they are hardly pro standard, and the space is better utilized (see above).

PS.Technically speaking the Core 2 Duo in these Macbooks and Minis is not the same one that apple had 3 years ago. Those ran on a 667 buss. These current ones are 1066 buss. The buss speed makes a lot of difference in how fast your data flies around inside! A 2.4ghz core 2 duo from 3 years ago get buried by current chips of the same speed.

23. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yeah but the 2009 had a 2.53ghz with the 1066 sticks.

or as an online factory option you could buy a 2.66ghz machine for 850 with 4gb ram. the 2010 is no better and costs 949 factory setup with 4gb ram and a 2.66ghz this is the non server with a dvd player. the 2010 looks good and seems to be a step towards flash storage like the air book. lets hope so.

24. nylonsteel macrumors 6502a

nylonsteel

All the wishlist suggestions sound good
    Just wanting to keep a tricked-out (wishlist configured) mini around $1000

25. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

iX cores and 3 ram slots plus better GPU. I am looking for a new desktop and love my mini as a plex server but it isn't quite there for me yet.

It is getting there though!