Your "goto" browser

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by eclipse01, Nov 12, 2013.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I really wish Safari was on Android, so I end up using Firefox (which is ok) seems pretty pretty buggy at times and freezes. Chrome I can not stand, Dolphin I tried also which seems pretty nice (also buggy at times however)

2. walie macrumors 6502a

Chrome (beta) is working awesome for me. Haven't even bothered trying anything else

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I personally love chrome...love how it saves my bookmarks on any device.

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

You might prefer Boat Browser. It has a more Desktop look, desktop style bookmarks and transparent buttons you can set for quick scroll to top and bottom, similar to iOS tap the click to scroll to top. Has toolbars, themes, quick settings and supports having 30+ tabs open at once. Also, there is a tablet specific version if you need that too.

I personally use Chrome Beta and it works perfectly for me, but Boat is my back up browser.

5. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Why Chrome beta, why not full Chrome?

I notice Firefox has a beta version outside of the full version too. Don't understand why people would choose these over full.

6. streetfoldsfive macrumors 6502

streetfoldsfive

I Use chrome beta, but I want to give Opera a try.

7. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Chrome Beta is "Chrome", but with more options and gives you features not found in regular Chrome. This is why we like it and use it. I dont like to settle for 'decaf' when I can get fully caffeinated! :D

8. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

It is the full version, with next versions features in it to test.

I use Chrome, but no the beta.

9. macred macrumors regular

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Chrome works best on my 2013 Nexus 7.

Tried Dolphin and Firefox and they just seemed buggy.

11. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I use Chrome on my phone (SG3). On my Transformer tablet, I use Opera Mini because the tablet is a first generation and is rather slow. Opera Mini makes viewing web pages a lot faster on slower devices.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

My go to is Chrome for the bookmarks. I tried out a bunch of other different browsers and the other one I like is Boat browser.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I use Chrome as well on any of my Android devices but only because it's the only option available if you want syncing across all devices. Otherwise, I find it to be pretty awful, especially on tablets.

I like Dolphin best of the other one's I've tried (AOSP, Boat, Firefox) but again, no syncing so I won't use it.

14. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm the other way, my Acer A500 (came out around the same time as your Transformer I think) is MUCH more capable than my phone (Thunderbolt) so I use Chrome on my tablet and struggle with even the default browser on my phone.

15. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

I have come across so many browsers that are faster and more fluid than Chrome. Boat, Mercury, Next, etc. Chrome just isn't as fluid as any of these, or even as fluid as Chrome is on iOS. However, there are 3 reasons I keep coming back to Chrome. Bookmarks sync (which can be simulated on Next), open tab sync, and proper URL bar auto hiding. All 3 of these are a must. Chrome is the only one to do all 3 of them the way I want. However, it is also one of the least fluid when first opening a page. And I am on a Nexus 5.

16. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I use the stock one on my phone lol

Flash is useful to have the very few times I actually bump into something that needs it and text wrapping is nice too.

17. PollyK macrumors regular

By far the best browser for me is a Firefox Beta. Love the layout. And it works with no hiccups despite it being beta.

18. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I love Chrome.

But I absolutely hate that they changed the tab swipe so you have to reach all the way up to the address bar to do it. Such a pain on larger phones like my Note 2. I'm having to use an old version that still has the old tab swipe.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Well, one main reason to switch to Chrome on KitKat is because Google has implemented access for developers to now index links. This means if you are websurfing on Wikipedia or IMDB and you click a link, it will open the mobile application (if you have the mobile app installed) and not another mobile web browsing page. This is one of the biggest improvements to date in Chrome, along with moving to Chromium for quicker and smoother rendering of webpages.

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

YOu should Try Opera. They do have few versions though.
    There is also UC Browser which seems pretty good.

firefox and chorme are decent but they do tend to use more memory.

21. lazard macrumors 65816

22. WilliamBateman macrumors regular

I cannot stand Chrome, it doesn't even have a reader. I use the stock browser on my One, far better than Chrome IMO.

23. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. Absolutely hate this about Chrome. Especially since most of the time the URL bar is hidden.

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

On android it was Chrome.

Now it's Safari on iOS and Mavericks.

25. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Chrome...although ever since they removed the tab switching gesture, I've been trying out FireFox.