Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menzo

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
I dropped mine from maybe 30cm once, fortunately it fell on carpet and not the nearby tiled floor *Shudder*.

ringgit

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Be grateful you have a phone. Worse feeling than being OCD about it. Better to have an iPhone 4 whether flawed or not than not having one at all. Luckily, I tend to be grateful with it and try to be careful. No drops on concrete or carpet so far. As long as it works and I haven't lost it yet. The holster case has been very helpful keeping me aware on where it is at all times.
Amen to that. I have to keep in mind as I have a phone with temperamental home button.

mike423

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
It was Horrible

The day I got the iphone 4 which BTW is my first iphone, I was going to work in the afternoon and I dropped it as I got down from the car, and when I realized it's the iphone me and my heartbeat were stopped, and I swear i still get goosebumps when I think of it, anyways the thin rubber thing on the side of the screen was damaged from 2 corners....

I hope no iphone owner would drop their phone again ever...

TomNJ07104

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
iPhone 4 v. Dremel

After my second iPhone 3G was stolen at 4:00am in Greenwich Village, I finally bought the iPhone 4. Sure enough, walking down W. 17th several weeks later, I stumble and drop the damn expensive new toy on the sidewalk. The little plastic part between the metal and glass had the only damage. That's where a Dremel comes in handy. First a sander, then a buffer, then a polisher. No sign of damage. (And no, I won't use the bumper-condom to uglify this jewel.)

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
LUCKILY, in my case, the cheap ass screen protector that got put on it free by the place I bought it from saved the day. It had several horrible scratches and I was terrified they'd follow through to the glass... but they didn't!.

I'm never leaving a screen protector off a phone again. They protect you from clumsy partners!

I don't think that scratches appearing on the screen protector necessarily means that the screen protector was necessary.

I say this because if it's a screen protector, it could be manufactured in such a manner that it is less scratch resistant than the glass underneath it. In other words, just because something could scratch the screen protector, doesn't mean it can scratch the glass of the iPhone.

Cases, at least the squishy ones, should have a role to play in minimising damage though, at least theoretically.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Got my iPhone 4 the day they came out and never had a bumper/case on it. Dropped it many times - onto wood, tile, furniture... never a scratch.

...Until about a month ago when I dropped from waist-high and it landed directly on its corner. On concrete. Shattered the front glass and cracked the back glass all the way through in two places. Yes, I cried. :(

Looked at my options and was dreading taking the phone apart to replace the parts - and I hated the idea of a $200 Apple replacement even more.

Went to the Apple Store with no expectations, no attitude, and no excuses. They gave me a new (maybe refurbished, but perfect) phone. No questions asked, and no charge. :)

Two results of this learning experience:
1. The next computer I buy will be another Mac.
2. I have the Apple bumper on the phone now. :D

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Saw a scene today that made nightmare on elm street look like Sesame street.

Was at the gym and a guy on a tread mill in front of me dropped his iPhone 4. It hit the tread mill and shot off the back of it like a bullet, hitting the treadmill I was on. I looked down and saw it in two pieces.
It looked like the back of it had popped off or something.
I could only imagine the horror and emotions he must of felt. We both stopped and got down to look at it. He gingerly picked it up and smiled.

He holds up both pieces, then snaps the back part on, looks at me directly and says "Thank God for phone cases". We shared a laugh, a lot of relief on his part, and went back to running. Only this time he held the phone in his hand instead of his pocket. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.