"Your iPhone is waiting at the Apple Store" - Should I pick it up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acejam2k, Jul 9, 2010.

?

Should I pick up my iPhone 4 from the Apple Store?

1. Yes, go for it!

85 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. No, cancel your reservation. The iPhone is not for you!

40 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Just got the email. I've been on the "priority list" for about 1.5 weeks now. Now, I'm debating if I should even pick this phone up. (32GB Black)

Background:
    Picked up an iPhone 3G about 2 weeks after it came out, and switched to AT&T from Sprint. My 3G was a GREAT phone, and was my first real "smartphone". (besides Motorola Q on sprint) After owning the 3G for over a year, I picked up an AT&T 3G Nexus One from Google, the day it was released for AT&T's 3G band this past March. I've been using the Nexus One since, and it has been a great phone. It does have a few hiccups, including a less-than-accurate touchscreen, compared to the iPhone. For me, I text a LOT, so typing fast is a must. Even after owning the Nexus for a few months, I still mistype words CONSTANTLY. If I go into the Apple store, I can type super faster again on the display iPhone 4's they have, without issue. (and on my old 3G, which I JUST sold last night.)

I'm running Android 2.2 Froyo now, and the two main things that I will miss going back to an iPhone are Wifi HotSpot, and Google Navigation. Everything else - I can transition back easily. I also recently just tried out using Wifi Hotspot with my wifi-only iPad, which worked REALLY well. However, I've only done this once, and realistically I never use my iPad anywhere except for my wifi-equipped home. Android is a great experience, but I've noticed that the battery life of my N1 is a bit lower than my iPhone 3G was. I have to charge this phone everyday, or else it will die the next day. I like a phone that can last me all day, and not have to worry.

I figure Apple is giving me 30 days to try it, but I still have to renew with AT&T. However, I have very very good coverage here in the Boston area, and don't have many complaints about AT&T at all.

As you can imagine, I'm a bit concerned about the reception issue. I was able to reproduce it myself while in the store on one of the demo units. However, even if there were no "issues", I would be picking up a bumper anyways. (I always use some type of case on my car, just cause)

So, what should I do?

2. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Oh for the love of .... How about YOU do what YOU think you should do? :)

3. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

I wouldn't worry about reception issues. I have had zero issue really, I am right handed and I hold the phone with my right hand.

Jailbreak will be out soon and you will be able to download MyWi. This will turn your iphone 4 into a mobile hotspot.

The battery life on the iphone 4 is crazy good.

Buy a case, or be careful with the phone. Thats about the only drawback about the iphone 4 is how it can be fragile.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get it, try it out. It REALLY depend on where you are.

You'll either find it's a problem or it's not. If it's not, well, then it's not.

5. tesilential macrumors regular

Go get it, I also live in an area with great AT&T reception and the Iphone 4 has never got close to dropping a call.

Its honestly the most awesome device I've ever used.

6. bat95132 macrumors member

No offense but who the hell gives a damn what you do?

I am not mean by nature but posts like this irk me. Buy it if you want to or don't if you don't. Whatever phone you want more get it and enjoy it. Even if 900 people said don't get it and 1 said get it you would still go off your opinion and get it if you wanted.

Just do everyone a favor, close the poll, close the thread, and think about which phone over the last week you wanted more and GET IT!!

7. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Been using mine for 2 weeks and it's awesome. No reception issues using a silicone case. I would have bought a case anyway, so for me, the whole antenna business is a bunch of malarkey.

8. Telecacher macrumors member

I bet he went to pick it up immediately after posting that lameness.

9. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I too had trouble typing on the Nexus One. The screen on the EVO and HTC Incredible is much more accurate and seems much easier to type on. I still make more mistakes than on the iPhone. I figure its partly due to the iPhone's screen being wider and that the iPhone keyboard supports multi-touch while most (but not all) Android keyboard do not.
    Overall, I think the HTC Incredible's screen is very usable. If you want to stay on AT&T, there's also the Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) that will be coming out in a couple of weeks. I'd wait and try out some of the new phones. There's also the Droid X coming on Verizon and Samsung Galaxy S versions coming out for Verizon and T-Mobile as well as AT&T.
    For me reception with the Incredible on Verizon has been awesome. I forgot what it was like to have coverage everywhere. No dropped calls. Even at my house, even at the beach, even in the middle of corn pastures. 3G everywhere. Awesome.

10. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

11. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, I'm still here! Sorry to those of you posting "who cares" etc. I am posting this thread on an Apple forum, trying to get Apple fans (you guys) to convince me why the iPhone 4 is a great device, and why it's better than the Nexus One.

I've never owned an Apple computer before, and my iPhone 3G was my first Apple phone ever. (I've owned iPods before that) They provide a great experience, and the Apple app store is definitely better than Android's market place. I know this, because I've been using my new iPad recently. :)

Yeah, the typing issue is what really gets me.

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Nah, skip it. Let someone more deserving buy it. You can sit on the fence till the iP5 comes out next year. It's rumored to have all the fixes built in. Built in bumper, foot long antenna, holds D cell batteries, transparent aluminum screen etc. Should be a winner. :)

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

definitely get it. oh wait, sorry, that advice was for Tony34624, another random internet user who also needed convincing about the i4. Or was it Tony44623?

As for you, I offer the same advice I gave to AppleUzer9000, do NOT get the new iPhone. Unless you want to.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

What did the people on the Nexus One forum say?

15. falconeight Guest

falconeight

If you are just going to complain about it in the future don't get it.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The reception is a big issue. But putting a case on it seems to solve the antenna issues. So it really comes down to how is at&t in your area.

17. nosser macrumors regular

+1 lol.. But this is a forum to post questions or comments and ask for help. Hopefully all the people that have been complaining actually return their phone so this forum can be filled with more important polls like "which case should I get?" or "what screen protecter did you buy" lol. But seriously you have already made a reservation so obviously you want the device. I say try it out. I love mine.

18. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I picked up the phone today! So far, it's been working great. Going to leave it on overnight to help drain the battery for a full recharge. (after fully charging it first of course :))

The one thing that I really like is the quality of the recorded video, and just the camera app in general. As stated previously, I'm also a huge fan of the Apple keyboard, and now I'm back to texting at full speed.

I picked up a black Bumper, but I've already ordered a Case-Mate Vroom case as well. (same case I had/have on the Nexus) Also, so far, I don't have any reception issues.

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Nice, hope you enjoy it. Btw, does your phone have the reception issue?

20. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats OP! My wife dropped her 3GS in the toilet and went down to the Apple Store and bought a 3GS for $99 and reserved an iPhone 4 for her on June 30th. The Apple salesperson tried to tell us that she doesn't recommend that we do that b/c we would be stuck with a 2-year contract if the iPhone 4 doesn't come within the 30-day "bring it back period" and then we couldn't purchase the iPhone 4. I said I'd take the risk! Then they said "it may take 72 hours to activate it" and I told her "just sell me the iPhone and let me get out of here!" She was really annoying; anyway, the iPhone 4 arrived and we got our email and showed up in the Apple Store and we were in and out of the store with a new iPhone 4 in about 15 minutes. We are very happy...:cool:

About a 10-day wait for the iPhone 4...

22. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

Some funny stuff. I love some of the posts on this forum. This person could always have their mom pick it up for them:apple:

23. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

I've used my iPhone 4 for about 3 weeks now, and I pretty much have until Friday to return this if I want to. (going away this weekend)

The battery life is amazing, no doubts there. Also the keyboard is much better than my Nexus One's. In addition, I made a couple of YouTube videos using iMovie, and uploaded them in 720p using my computer. (720p 30fps = the win)

Since I've had this phone, I have literally switched my SIM card back and forth with my Nexus probably 5-10+ times. Yes, I'm going a bit overboard but I want to figure out what's best for me. I rooted and flashed a custom ROM on my N1 the other night and while it "worked", the process was a nightmare and it was very unstable. I'm back to stock now. (on the N1)

The two main things I'm going to be missing are Google Navigation and WiFi Hotspot.

Should I keep the iPhone 4?

24. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Definitely not. I would trade it for some heroin.

25. jwilson25 macrumors regular

jwilson25

If you want the Mobile Hotspot back, you can always jailbreak and grab MyWi. I know it's $20, but it works great.