Your Keyboard/Ideal Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CalBoy, Aug 7, 2007.

?

Your Keyboard Spread:

Poll closed Sep 6, 2007.
  1. I would like one of Apple's new BT keyboards

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. I would like one of Apple's new wired keyboards

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I have an older Apple keyboard, and I want a new BT/wired Apple keyboard

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. I have an older Apple keyboard, and I DON'T want a new BT/wired Apple Keyboard

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. I like/use 3rd party keyboards and want a a new BT/wired Apple keyboard

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. I like/use 3rd party keyboards and DON'T want a new BT/wired Apple keyboard

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. I only need the keyboard that is built into my Macbook/Macbook Pro

7 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Basically inspired by the latest update to Apple keyboards. Which setup would you choose and why? Personal pet peeves about keyboards that you feel are not addressed by Apple's notebooks? Anything else keyboard you feel like posting about:)

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

This would be my keyboard if Logitech only made it for Macs

Attached Files:

3. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

I take it that most Windows keyboards don't play nice with OS X?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I own the "old" apple bluetooth keyboard... and let me just say that I feel sorry for anyone who is stuck with the new one.

5. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I would like a bluetooth version of Apple's new wired keyboard. I like having the numeric keyboard, proper arrow keys, and extra navigation buttons.

I'm shopping around for a new keyboard, but I haven't decided what to get. I'm currently using a Logitech mx 5000 keyboard, but haven't decided if I'm going to keep it.

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I was going to buy one the other week...but money was tight! I'm not sure if I'm better off or not at the moment. Part of me likes the compact style of the new BT keyboard....but the other part of the thinks that if you're gonna buy a keyboard it should at least have all the buttons on it. The jury is still out...maybe I'll head down to the Apple Store and bang around on the new one.

7. wako macrumors 65816

I have a BT Apple keyboard and I would like one of the new keyboards however the new ones dont have the number pad, a big downer for me :'(

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think the new keyboard looks crap. I like my "old" white one as well as the keyboards on the powerbook/macbookpro. I'll have to use the new one to answer for certain but I can't imagine myself liking something with so little "feedback".

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i'd prefer a BT keyboard, i've yet to find one that i love. i have the first edition of Apple's BT Keyboard and it just didn't work for me. the new BT keyboard isn't full sized so i don't even bother trying it.
    i do like my macbook keyboard so that wouldn't be an issue.

as it is i'm using a Macally icekey which is pretty great for right now although its wired.

10. dcv macrumors G3

I absolutely HATE the feel of the keys on the old Apple Pro wireless keyboard and I'm also sick of having to recharge the batteries every few weeks so I'm seriously considering the new wireless one. I really like the fact that the BT one is quite compact too. Hate those wide full-size keyboards.

I don't really *need* it though as don't use my iMac very often.

Nothing beats the feel of the PowerBook/MBP keyboard of course though. Shame they didn't just make a standalone version of that.

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

The old wireless keyboard is bulky, ugly, cheap looking, easy to get dirty, hard to clean. It was really not a great item.

This new wireless one is compact, chops off the keypad I never use, easy to pick up off the surface, less batteries, and matches the style better. Got mine ordered.

12. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

See one of the things for me is the lack of a number pad. My mbp doesn't have that, and if I was to buy another keyboard, I would want one that was full-sized. Even though I don't use it too often, I do use it enough to realize that I would want/need it for a keyboard.

The other thing that peeves me about the new keyboards is that they have the Macbook's keyboard look. If it has the same tactile feel to it, I'll have to pass.

13. karlfranz macrumors regular

karlfranz

I have never typed as many typos as I have while using Apple's previous white bluetooth keyboard. Although it's pretty, there's something about the keyboard action being too spongy that causes me to not fully depress some of the keys while typing.

I actually prefer the shorter key travel on notebook-style keyboards which is why I like the Logitech diNovo keyboards. Unfortunately, they don't make one for the Mac. The closest I have been able to find is the Logitech S530 Desktop but even that is not that good—the key travel on it is somewhere in between a normal keyboard and a notebook one.

I haven't tried the new iMac keyboard yet, but I'm hoping the action will be similar to the kind I like. However, I don't understand why Apple chose white keycaps on their new black and anodized aluminum computer and why they didn't use this opportunity to make backlit keys a la MBP. Check out a picture I made of what this would look like on this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339222

Cheers,

Karl-Franz
    http://karlfranz.com

14. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I use a Saitek Eclipse with my PC and sometimes my MBP. Looks cool, works well. Maybe a little loud though.

[​IMG]
    (Click for larger)

15. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

See, I'm the exact opposite. I prefer keyboards that are as narrow (top to bottom, not across) as possible. Those wrist pillows look comfortable, but they are actually bad for long term usage.

The sad part is, I like the narrow part of the new Apple keyboard, but I can't get over the price and it's appearance (too macbook-ish, as I've previously mentioned).

16. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

How so?

17. Toknee macrumors member

DiNovo Edge

The Denovo Edge works fine with my Mac Pro, in fact I am typing this message now on it.

The Volume function works, as does the circular touchpad.

I did not use the logitech BT dongle, but am using the interal Mac BT.

Get a Dinovo Edge, it works great with a Mac.

Also another option, if you like style with your KB, although not BT, but a great compliment to the Brushed Aluminum is the Moshi Delesta Keyboard.

I have one of these KB, and they use the same keys as the ones found on the IBM Thinkpads, which in a lot of peoples opinion, one of the besy key strokes ever.

Here is a great review of the KB:

http://www.lordpercy.com/moshi_celesta.htm

18. LeviG macrumors 65816

Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 is my current choice of keyboard although it will be replaced with a wireless version eventually. I can't stand straight keyboards for long periods, they just feel unnatural after using ergo ones for as long as I have now.

I do want a bt keyboard for a mac mini which is going to be used as a media pc.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I bought a bunch of the Keysonic ACK-5000's and I'm pretty happy with them for Mac or PC use. I've put small stick-on feet originally for audiophile use on the back of them and the height is perfect like that.

The only issue is that unlike the Apple keyboard and also many other USB-hub keyboards, the ACK doesn't deliver a full 500ma of current to each port. Since all I hang off there usually is a mouse receiver it's not a big deal.

A few of the keyboards are however starting to feel distinctly "used" so on the Macs I'll give the new Apple wired keyboard a try for sure, as I like the look of those quite a bit. I just hope the keys are scissor-action and go down cleanly, and don't 'bind' against the aluminium.

Applewise, I miss the old Ergonomic keyboard. When that was available, I bought it every time I bought a new Mac. If they bring that back with scissor-action and aluminium casing? I'll be all over that faster than you can say "Apple QC sucks".

20. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

heh, i think those of us with the "old" bt keyboards should wait a bit and see if they ever hit iSight level prices on ebay...

21. CalBoy thread starter macrumors 604

CalBoy

They encourage you to rest your wrist on the pad and type. However, you should be typing with your wrists suspended a little above the wrist pad region. This is the correct posture, and I'm guessing it prevents Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from happening or happening as fast. Personally, the wrist pads are comfortable (and if they're there, I will use them) but I try to avoid keyboards that have them so that I don't become tempted.

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Unless Apple stop being silly and release a wireless version of their new wired keyboard then I won't be getting a new keyboard any time soon. My bet is that they'll release a new Pro line keyboard when the new Mac Pros eventually come out. They can't expect pro users to give up having a numpad on their desktops. I'd expect a newly stylised mouse too, to match with the new aluminiumness of most of their line up.

23. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I use 2 dinovos and I will never switch unless they die.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Until I find something nicer, I'm using a Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard that I got for $10. It feels much better than the black/white Apple keyboards and has keys for just about everything and includes a left hand scroll wheel.

The last Apple keyboard I actually liked came with the Performas in the early 1990s and then, I bought a Microspeed keyboard because it had a numeric keypad, function keys, four ADB ports, and better action.

25. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I think the new keyboards look great. It is slim, sleek, small and sexy...very Apple-like.