Your mac mouse choices...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by splashtech, Dec 13, 2007.

1. splashtech macrumors regular

Just wondering what mouse to choose for my new iMac. I dont fancy anything with a cable (so the supplied mm is out), and I would also like at least 1 more button than the mm... preferably 3 or 4.

What do you use, and what would you suggest? :)

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Any of the Logitech mice work pretty well, in my experience. When my Mighty Mouse bit the dust after about 3 months, rather than messing with it, I just dug my old Logitech MX 518 out of the drawer, plugged it in. Works great. I didn't need to install any drivers.

They have at least a couple of nice cordless mice too.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/&cl=us,en

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I like my wireless MM - It has more than one button, but in a different way than most mice. Sensors inside it pick up on right and left clicks, the little scroll ball on top can be clicked, and squeezing the sides is like a button too.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I found the ergonomics of the Mighty Mouse to be uncomfortable. It was hard to squeeze the side buttons (although it seemed to be easy to do accidentally), and I really did get tired of dirt malfunction of the scroll ball. I finally concluded that the Mighty Mouse was mostly a good example of form over function.

5. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

How did you find it for configuring the various buttons? Ideally I would like all the standard (left, right, middle, scroll up, scroll down, scroll left & right) along with a back button for safari and a "spaces" button. If possible, a forward and maybe an exposé too.

I have the wireless version of the MM which I use with my macbook. But for my iMac which will become my new main computer (replacing a vista PC), I would like more buttons. :D I do agree with you though, the MM is a nice mouse, certainly the wireless one. I just want more buttons for frequent use.

6. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

If you can live with a cable, the Razer Pro is nice.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

After I unplugged the MM and plugged in the Logitech, no configuring was necessary. Right and left click were the same as the MM, scroll wheel worked normally, button three activated Dashboard. Button 4 brought up Expose. I don't think button 5 does anything - can't remember. The MM doesn't have a fifth button, and I don't recall if I configured button 5 for anything. Scroll speed and acceleration work normally from the Mouse control panel in System Preferences.

I have some kind of little wireless RF mouse on my Macbook. It's only a three button. I noted yesterday that button three didn't do anything, so I went into the Expose control panel and selected it to come up with button 3, now it works normally.

8. dazed macrumors 6502a

im using my old logitech mx700. its done me well and once i installed the drivers all the extra buttons were usable just like in my old XP days :).

I tried the mighty mouse and didnt like it. Was a case of design over usability.

9. Tom J macrumors regular

Agreed !!

Remember Apple's hockey puck mouse? Worse mouse EVER.

10. splashtech thread starter macrumors regular

Haha... the round one with the old colored iMacs?

11. Digitalflick macrumors regular

I just picked one up off ebay for my 2-1/2 yr old, fits perfect in her hand.

12. Tom J macrumors regular

...and it's also her first game? Trying to make the cursor go in the intended direction.

13. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I've gone for the Logitech V470, it compliments my new MacBook rather nicely even if I do say so myself. As Hmac said you can't really go wrong with a Logitech, especially when you compare the price with that of the Mighty Mouse.

14. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I bought an MX Revolution when my BT MM broke. I like it but I do miss the MM's scroll wheel.

PS. I use it with Steermouse which is great.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

16. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I use the MX Revolution also. It's great being able to program all the features to work well in each app, to suit individual app requirements. Functions like Copy and Paste go waaaay easier - you wouldn't think it would save a bunch of time over CMD-C and CMD-v but once you get used to doing it with the mouse it's better.

Funny - I hooked the same mouse up to the family's Dell and it took me 45 minutes to get it working, from new drivers to installing the software twice. I plug it into my MBP and it works straight out of the box!!! :apple: :D

17. mag2001 macrumors 6502

i use the logitech vx nano with the small reciever:D

18. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Don't buy a Mighty Mouse (wired or wireless). There are much better and cheaper ones on the market. :apple:

19. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Hey guys,

I own a Logitech MX Revolution and use it on my macs with a program called Steermouse. It lets you customize the buttons quite well!

IMcD23

20. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i love my wireless mm....it took a bit of time to get used to, but now any other mouse feels weird.

21. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

22. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I have a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. Say what you like about MS software*, their hardware is pretty good.

* Note that I use it without the MS drivers, which actually make the performance worse - I just let OSX do it's thing.

23. volvoben macrumors 6502

I like my logitech mx1000, but the logitech software is just awful. it's also a little picky about the type of mousepad you use (the desk works fine but i prefer a smoother feel...regular cloth types make the pointer jump around, but the plastic coated type are perfect). You can't use apple's software because it has 5 extra buttons, and logitech's junkware hasn't worked for me on leopard at all so i just bought steermouse. i finally have all 5 buttons set up as i like them, but in firefox 3b my plugin to allow a button to be 'open link in new tab' doesn't work...

still, i get a wireless experience, good weight, battery that lasts for weeks and weeks, normal right and left clicks, normal & side scroll, double click, expose, spaces, open link in new tab (middle button), and i still have another free button waiting for some new feature.

I do like the feel of the MM, and the scroll ball is better than any wheel, but i activate expose at least twice an hour when using my girlfriend's computer, and having double click, expose and spaces buttons really speeds things up and keeps me from constantly searching around the keyboard for F keys.

I also have a microsoft wireless notebook mouse for the macbook, a bit small for my hand but it sure beats a trackpad.

24. Veri macrumors 6502a

left hander

Anyone have feelings on the Logitech MX610 (either hand)? Someone's even written a Linux driver for the LEDs. I'm left-handed, so I'm fairly limited in my choice of ergonomic mice. Any other good left-hander ergo mice recommended? I've seen Evoluent's weirdly shaped offerings, for example.

25. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

agreed, I love that mouse, especially with the customization capability with steer mouse.