Your Monthly SuperDrive Usage Is...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aCondor, Jan 6, 2011.

?

Average Monthly Use of SuperDrive

Poll closed Mar 7, 2011.
  1. 0 : I never use it.

55 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. 1-14 : A few times weekly.

35 vote(s)
    35.4%
  3. 15-29 : At least every other day.

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. 30+ : I use it daily multiple times.

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. aCondor macrumors 6502

How many times per month do you use your SuperDrive?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm curious to know why people ask these kinds of questions, wanting to know what others do with their Macs. The answers will be all over the spectrum, since some rarely use their SuperDrive, some use it daily, and some in between. Of what value is seeing these responses, since they won't even be indicative of any trends, since the responses only represent those who cared enough to post here. It will also have no bearing on what the OP chooses to do with their SuperDrive.

Why ask? What's the point?

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

At present, mine's used almost daily. Who'd have thought?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The question is not really what he wants to discuss. He likely wants to discuss the idea of removing the SD all together. Think that's a good topic? GOOD because there are at least 2 threads a week on it. :D

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

So, 3 times?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No kidding! I've never understood the point in these kinds of threads:
    How many apps on your phone?
    How many of you guys run windows on Your MBP?
    How many photos do you have in your camera roll?
    How many hours a day do you use your iphone as an ipod?
    How Many Apps are on your iPad This Very Moment?
    How many people are on your Macrumors 'Ignore' list?
    OT: How Many Characters Long Is Your iTunes Account Password???
    How many folders to hold all your games?
    How many times have you turned your iPad off?
    HOw many times do you open or close your macbook lid?
    Aperture: How many photos in your library?
    How many IPAD's in your home right now?
    How many people in your family want an iPad?
    How Many Hours are You Awake Before Starting Your Day?
    Etc., etc., etc.​
    The only thing I can guess is people are trying to boost their post counts by posting inane threads.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I do use mine, probably 1/3 of the time I'm burning, 1/3 of the time I'm ripping either CD audio or a movie, and 1/3 of the time I'm simply copying data.

Maybe, but sometimes a poll is just a poll, you know?

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Very little to be honest.

I used it yesterday to install a game into a new Boot Camp partition, other than that the last time I used it was to import a CD I bought in November. I'm beginning to think a second HDD would be more useful.

10. aCondor, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011

aCondor thread starter macrumors 6502

There are threads discussing the removal of the SuperDrive. I was just interested in how the data skews. People are certainly passionate about this topic and this should help everyone visualize SuperDrive use.

There are easier ways to boost post counts than creating threads. I think this is a valid question with an organized poll. What's wrong with that?

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Seriously, why do you need to take from another thread to make a poll? You are posting in the other thread.

Your stupid little poll isnt gonna make Steve take it out or leave it in. I for one dont care who else uses the super drive, there are reasons its needed and if you want to get rid of it buy the optibay. And I GUARANTEE the other 90% of you that say put a better GPU in it dont even need the damn thing. A laptop is not for gaming, get it through your head.

12. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

While I respect your opinion I think people ask these questions because they want to see if their habits are normal, weird, etc. It's a forum for enthusiasts. Give people a break. Skip over the threads you don't like. Geez, stop being anal.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I often forget I have it to be honest. It is like where disk drives were in the 2000s

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not saying that anything is "wrong" with such threads. I'm just saying I never understood the point of asking what someone else does with their Mac, since it has absolutely no bearing on what I choose to do with mine. As you said, there are already threads discussing the removal of SuperDrives, including polls on the topic. I don't see the need for another one, but if you enjoy posting redundant threads, knock yourself out!

Poll: MBP Owners: Keep the SuperDrive or Loose it for other options
    Poll: Would you prefer the next MacBook Pro to not have an Optical Drive
    Poll: How often do you use your 13" MBP's optical drive?
    Poll: Could you live without an optical drive?
    Poll: The Ultimate Optical Drive Poll!

I have every right to ask why a thread is being posted, just like every member of this forum. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I didn't say the OP shouldn't post the thread; I simply wanted to understand why people posts threads like these and stated my reasons for asking.
    Skip over the posts you don't like.

15. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Plenty of people play games on laptops. What do you think the mobile cards from nvidia and ati are for? A lot of people also don't want to or can't build a desktop gaming rig and buy a laptop for travel computing. Not to mention the space a desktop and monitor take up compared to a laptop. I think you meant to say, you don't use a laptop for gaming.

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

99% agreed. The only reason I even take moderate annoyance to this thread is because Ive seen 5+threads about people complaining about how there superdrive should be replaced by an SSD by default because they feel 100% of the community feels the same.

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The only gaming laptops are Alienware, how much battery do they get? Exactly.

If you can consider that brick a laptop then guess your right, but I think a laptop is something that can go without being plugged in. A mac is not for gaming, you know this when you buy it, you can tell by the lack of support for mac also. Want proof? Look how long it took steam to come to mac.

18. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

The length of time it took steam to come to Mac doesn't mean anything. It's there now. Obviously it took longer because as you said, Mac support for gaming is nothing compared to Windows. Fortunately Apple includes halfway decent hardware and supports Windows through bootcamp.

People don't go around playing games without their laptop plugged in. When people play games on them, they use them like they would a desktop. Then when they need to go somewhere to work on something, they can use the same laptop to do that. Are people who play games and work on their computers supposed to drag their desktops along with them to get their work done? Power user laptops fill an important void between desktops and laptops that include no more than integrated graphics.

And dedicated gaming laptops usually look incredibly tacky. No thanks, I don't need a bunch of fancy blue lights on my laptop.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Like making consecutive posts? ;)

20. tjb1 macrumors 68000

But all of you whining about the super drive would go buy the new MBP tomorrow if it came out. So im sure you can afford a desktop to game on. A decent gaming desktop can be built for under $1000.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

GGstudiosI remember seeing one about "How often should I turn of my computer?" lol

I use it a few times a week, OP.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15-29, if you count my Blu-ray drive as a SuperDrive. If not, 1-14.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The library has a ton of books on CD that just aren't in the audiobook e-catalog online. I like to rip them to my machine when I get them so I don't have to keep swapping discs.

I also need to devote the time to listen as well. Sometimes I get a stack of CDs that I just never listen to.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I use my superdrive about 3-4 times a week. I have an external one that I could use if it were ever removed.

Wait, why is there a which hunt for the OD as of the past couple of months. Are people really that angry? :confused: