Your NEW favorite app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by porcupine8, Nov 2, 2011.

1. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

There have been plenty of "favorite app" threads, with all the same answers - FlipBoard, icab, atomic, Netflix, angry birds, PvZ, etc.

So now that you've had your iPad for a bit, what is your favorite app that you've discovered within the past couple months? (Even if the app's been around longer than that.)

And let's split it into a game category and non-game category, and please tell us what the non-game apps do. JB included!

Game: Scribblenauts Remix
    Non-Game: A tie between Baby Geek, which is helping me track my baby's sleep patterns (and can track all kinds of other stuff), and the Photobucket app, which combined with an Eye-Fi card in my camera and the new FB app has helped me go all-iPad with my photo sharing and print ordering. It's far nicer than the Photobucket website.

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I just got an iPad 2 days ago. I am in no way adding knowledge to this thread other than saying after downloading Flipboard last night that it is AWESOME.

actually I am just here to learn more about any great apps to download.
    especially child/educational for my toddler.

3. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I got my iPad yesterday. Flipboard is amazing, I find it hard to believe its free!

4. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

5. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Bluemeanie1976: Not free on the UK store. They do offer a lite version though.

6. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

You can check out this site for some educational apps. I am looking for some for my 3rd grader and Kindergartner. Found a few letter apps for the younger and some decent math apps for the 3rd grader. Now to find a good spelling app for the 3rd grader as well. That is his weakness.

http://www.bestkidsapps.com/

Another vote for FlipBoard. I just installed it last night and looked at it for a few minutes. Amazing all the information at your fingertips.

Also, we have been looking at apps that can be utilized on two iPads since we picked up 2 for our 10th anniversary. Scrabble is amazingly well done. Also, have Battleship, though haven't played it yet.

I am going to have to look at Reckless Racing. That is multiplayer as well, it looks like across multiple iPads?

7. matt90036 macrumors regular

iCab - i love the new module they added that allows you to convert websites into PDF. Very useful especially when you are doing something online that requires your to print and confirmation. You can instead convert the page into a PDF.

8. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Slayer Pinball Rocks HD. Plays just like a real pinball machine.

9. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Reckless Racing is great.. shame they didn't have a career mode / league.

Camera+ is a great app.. better than the default camera. Shame Apple limitations prevent setting Camera+ as the default Camera application.

10. gatearray macrumors 65816

Animoog, Animoog, Animoog

And since it's release on 10/17 it's only 99 cents, but soon to go up to $29.99! Even at this price it will be a tremendous value, it's just that great.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/animoog/id471638724?mt=8

Animoog is really for everybody, not just analog synthesizer nerds, and Moog Music did such a wonderful job with this release, it feels as polished as any Apple-made app. Kids love it, too. Read the rave reviews, download it, and thank me later! :)

11. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

Easy, Cash Flow HD. I was finally able to retire my PITA Excel spreadsheets and use this app to easily project estimated balances at any point in time based on my expected expenses. I don't remember what I paid for it (no more than $3), but WELL worth it for an anal number cruncher like me!

12. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I've rediscovered the Kindle app. When I set up my iPad 2 back in March, I got the Kindle app and set up an account to get the free books being offered. At the time I wasn't sold on reading on the iPad.

Since iOS 5, I've been reading magazines in Newsstand apps and found it worked great - I can zoom to read the fine print! Recently, I was looking at a chunky book in the store, and the on the back it said there was an ebook version available. When I found the ebook on Amazon, there was a button to download it right to my iPad! I'm sold. I fly for work several days a week. I spend a lot of time in airports and on tiny (14 seat) airplanes. I am thrilled to be able to bring books and magazines without adding weight to my carry on.

13. Nokaoi macrumors regular

Robotek HD. MOst underated game ever. Download and play it. You'll see.

14. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Pageonce. It's a great financial app. Also keeps track of all my bills and you can pay them straight from the app which is very handy. I don't believe the Mint app allows you to do that.

15. iPutz macrumors member

This, Animoog is incredible. I have no idea what I am doing but it is fun. Easy way to kill an hour or two.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I really enjoy my iPad 2, but if you think reading on an iPad is good you'd be speechless after seeing the clarity, ideal fonts, liquid ink and perfect illumination of the latest Kindle. Not to mention the ergonomic excellence. I can read for hours while flying to the UK, without a hint of eye strain. Purpose built just for reading, the product of several generations, it's stunningly ideal.

I'm so happy to have both, since each of them excel at what they were designed for.

17. iPcdebb macrumors member

iPcdebb

i think Photobooth is hilarious. I send a "photo of the day" to my brothers :D

18. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Codify
    Duke Nukem 3D (been had it on iPhone, sick on iPad)
    Animoog
    MC3 (gameloft)

Tons of favs tho. Just listed 4 new jawns.

19. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Forger for the iPad provides a virtual way to visualize and manipulate clay sculptures on the iPad. Alex Lindsay demos it at 1:42:00 of this week's episode (#271) of MacBreak Weekly.

To coin a phrase: it shows we've just scratched the surface of 3D manipulations on this kind of device. $2.99.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've got my first iPad app, just need an iPad to go with it. :D

21. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

The "Poop Analyser" App got a lot of laughs at work.

22. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Jetpack Joyride

Game : I've been obsessed with Jetpack Joyride... it's so simple yet so much fun! It's easier to control on iPad than iPhone too, IMHO.

App : StockTouch - If you follow stocks, Stocktouch is a BEAUTIFUL and intuitive way to do it. It's literally as if Apple designed the app itself. I can't say enough good things about it.

23. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

24. psonice macrumors 6502a

Codify <3
    And animoog too, I'm not really into music apps but that one is just seriously cool and fun to play with.
    But mostly codify :D