iPhone X Your # of iPhone X bat cycles?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigserve100, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bigserve100, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

bigserve100 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just wanted to get a gauge of how fast I was going through my iPhone X battery as far as number of cycles. I downloaded coconut battery a bit ago and have been monitoring the number of cycles I use. I live in NYC and am constantly on the subway and bus a lot... so I often charge about 2 or 3 times a day. I use my iPhone as my primary device for studying, work, and general communication. I also watch Netflix and TV on it in the evening. I don't have a TV. I have a computer that I use, but I'm still using my iPhone in the background.

As far as charging I use the dedicated 29W charger with USB-C to Lightning cord (2m). It's so helpful to have, but it's somewhat fools me because I can charge it so fast.

Current stats:

Iphone X - 256 GB black ATT (66% space used disk), IOS version: 11.2.6
    (bought 3 weeks after launch day)
    - Manufacture date: 10-23-2017
    - Cycle Count: 140
    - Current full charge capacity: 2628 / 2716 (96.8% / 100%)

Is everyone else going through their iPhone battery at this clip?

I feel like it's pretty fast, but I have no basis for comparison. Thought we could all chime in.

Thanks.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have had my iPhone X since launch day, and I currently have 80 cycles per Coconut Battery.

3. bigserve100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. Wow, I am going through my cycles faster than I thought. I will let you all know how the battery holds up.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am not even looking. Just going to enjoy my phone!

Too many worry too much about the battery.

5. bigserve100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't really worry about it either. The iPhone has become so fast and comprehensive as a device that I use it almost for everything: emails, video, studying, work, reading, FaceTime, gym, etc. was just curious how my usage stacked up.

6. TechNismo macrumors 6502

TechNismo

The iPhone X I had since launch had like 60 cycle counts (3 months later)
    My new iPhone X, has 6 cycles (2 weeks old)

7. rdy0329, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

rdy0329 macrumors 6502

You know what, we are at the perfect opportunity in time to go ahead and deteriorate our batteries this year.

$29 Battery Replacement (applies to 2017 iPhones as well)

Come November, you could have yours replaced and then have a launch-day capacity (and speed?)

TBH, any cost saved from having your phone DO EVERYTHING also makes the regular $79 replacement justifiable.

I know some people who their only device is a smartphone aka digital swiss army knife.

8. bigserve100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the battery replacement plan really apply for the iPhone X as well? I understand you are saying it's for 2017.... but I was under the impression it did not apply to the iPhone x or the iPhone 8. If I'm mistaken I will def. be taking advantage of that by the end of the year.

9. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

10. bigserve100 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Apologies for the mega bump, but I’m just curious as to what my battery’s cycle count is, not that I’m concerned about it. Just the geek in me... :D

People mention “Coconut Battery” as a good App to see your cycle count, but I can’t find it on the App Store. Maybe it’s not accessible in my region?

Is there another (free) App that tells you your battery cycle count?

12. Shadowbech macrumors 601

If you have a Mac, you can install it there and connect your iPhone to your Mac to get the readings. There isn’t coconut battery app on the iPhone.

13. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 12.10.26 AM.png

Battery Health 3 and Coconut Battery - Max since day 1! I keep my device charged between 15-95% using the original 5watt charger.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Hmm I don’t have a Mac.

Any other way to view cycles?

15. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

My original battery for my X.

Changed around 220 cycles when it was 97% in iOS and around 96% in Coconut. Till around 150 cycles it was 100% in both.

My new battery for my X:

Around 160 cycles. iOS 100%. iMazing 100-101% approx. Sometimes a bit less/more.

16. now i see it macrumors 68040

Battery Cycle count data is still recorded by the iPhone and was always accessible to the user until they blocked it in iOS 10. Now only Apple has access to it. 3rd party iOS apps can no longer access it.

But Cycle Count isn't an accurate method of gauging battery wear. A charge cycle is designated as using one battery unit of charge, either all at once or a little bit at a time.

Charging to 100% then discharging to 0% flat = one charge cycle. And charging to 75% then discharging to 65% ten times also equals one charge cycle. CoconutBattery would show either scenario as one charge cycle....

But

The battery that was always charged to 75% and discharged to only 65% would last maybe eight times longer and outlive the phone where charging from max to empty all the time would kill the battery pretty quickly — so cycle count really isn't all that helpful unless everyone charged and used their battery exactly the same way

17. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

My iPhone X is 14 months old and at 90% health. Not sure how many cycles.

18. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I didn’t know this.

Well for my scenario, I’m pretty consistent in that my battery drops to 60-80% during the day, & with mini-charges, it gets back up to 75-95%, but then I charge it to 100% overnight.

I found this method of finding out your cycle count which I’m yet to try...
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/How...ycles-is-your-Apple-iPhone-battery-on_id69150

19. JDnLex macrumors newbie

470 cycles and 95% health here for Nov 3 or 4 2017 delivered X. The battery exceeded the “design” capacity on delivery... I believe it was 102-103%. Even so, this is the best performing iPhone battery I’ve had yet. I frequently top it off at my desk using a wireless charger during the day and leave it on a wireless charger at home overnight.

I’ve had my share of bad iBatteries, as well. My 6s plus fizzled out with less than 200 cycles and 1 year and my Air 2 made it 3 years but only 170 cycles before plummeting to 40-60% capacity. I have an SE that’s 2 years old (used for a back-up phone/semi-permanent CarPlay module) that’s still at 100% with fewer than 100 cycles, although that’s still impressive given the age and less than ideal car temperatures it sometimes endures.

20. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

21. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

at exactly 13 months of ownership, iPhone 8 and i have a whopping 537 charge cycles.

IS THAT NORMAL? holy fackkkkkk....

22. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Are you constantly draining the device below 0-15% and charging it back up to 100%?

23. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

yeah because the battery was the smallest ever in an iPhone, and even so, it like should be around 390 or so given 13 months?

24. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

With my X in 4.5 months I’ve done 160+ cycles.

25. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

There are better 3rd party tools to find out cycle count and battery health. Up until a month or two ago, this one actually used to display the full charge capacity (where it says 100 now) so you could calculate battery health. I'm not going to name them because I named this one on here a couple of months ago and then suddenly it no longer worked like it used to but if you do a bit of googling you should find them easily. I will private message them to you if interested.