Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
It may not be the oldest thing we own, but the coolest thing is two photos my wife inherited: the 1904 and 1905 team photos of the University of Chicago football team. In 1905, they went 10 and 0, with a combined total score of 245 to 5. They beat Michigan in the final game of the season by a score of 2 - 0, to become champions of the West. My wife's great grandfather played tackle on that team and, family legend has it, he made the tackle for a safety that won the game.

The university dropped its football program in the 1930s, but by the time my future wife and I attended the school in the 1980s, it had been reinstated as a notoriously bad Division III program. But we still have the glory years of the early 20th century, and we have the first-ever Heisman trophy winner, Jay Berwanger.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The oldest thing I have is a 4 cent stamp. LOL. Yeah, I'm not much of a collector.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Not made by man: a fossile (amonite), and some rocks (quartz and stuff like that).

Man-made: two bullets from the 1879 war between Chile and Peru. Both were fired in battle, and later found by a collector who gave them to my dad (that guy goes to the dessert with a metal detector to find stuff from the war; he's pretty much obsessed I think). One is in pretty good shape; the other hit a rock when it was fired, so is totally deformed.

Attachments

• bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Me: The name tag that was on my crib at the hospital when I was born. 51 years old.
Not related to me: A clay pot from Iraq. About 4000 years old.
Definately related to me: The atoms of my body. Some are as old as 17 billion years. (That's about 4,000 fundamentalist christian years)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
ecclesial dagger made from human femur and damascus steel. Been in my family for hundreds of years. :cool:
The object I have had the longest is my umbilical cord and lock of baby hair in a red velvet pouch...
:rolleyes:

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
mad jew said:
My penis.

Apart from leasing it out every now and then, I own it outright and have done for quite some time. :cool:

"you can call it a one night stand, but we can call it paradise"

There are less fulfilling things...

The oldest thing I own is a US coin from the 1930s. However, I am told that the atoms that make up my body are as old as the universe...so, I have that going for me, which is nice.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Thomas Veil said:
Umm...you do know what the title of this thread looks like if you just glance at it quickly, don't you? :p

prostitute.jpg

Your oldest session?
Your Oldest prostitution?
... :confused:

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
"No possessions?"-John Lennon in Forrest Gump

jefhatfield said:
i did also see the title and for a second, and thought PROFESSION...and i thought, "what a stupid question, duh!" ;)
But what's the second oldest profession. "what a stupid question, duh!"
assassin.jpg

When I saw this thread I thought it ment a possession you've had since you were really young.
My house is a little over a century old. I know. I live in America and everthing was built yesterday, but there's a lot of old buildings in the north east. Especially in Massachusetts. Of course that's nothing compared to you guys over in Europe.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
mojohanna said:
I have a battle hardened Colt 45 that a great uncle carried in WWI. It is in great shape except for a gash in the barrel caused by shrapnel that took my great uncle's leg off. I think it was manufactured in 1913.

That's pretty amazing. I've been meaning to add a WWII-era Colt 1911 (.45) pistol to my collection, but decent ones are running $700+ these days. My grandfather (MP in the 8th Air Force) and his brother (US Infantry, Italian campaign) carried one but didn't bring them home. WWI-era models are pushing four figures. You've probably already heard this but he should have that weapon appraised and insured. If you can document the ownership and shrapnel damage it would be quite a valuable relic indeed, besides its significance to your family.

blueflame said:
i have a full bayonett, fully functional, the knife, the sheath, the gun everything. still has the original oil on it. oh, its a japanese model. this thing ways a milion lbs, i can barely aim the thing.
andreas

Sounds like an Arisaka Type-99. Pretty scarce nowadays.

And just to complete your opinions that I'm a gun-nut, the oldest things I own are also rifles. The oldest is a Swiss K31 dating from 1935, followed by a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 from 1939; I also have a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 from 1943...among others.

I also inherited a stamp/coin collection from my grandfather which dates mostly from the 30's/40's; it has some very interesting stuff in it.

I am an archeologist by trade and though I regularly deal with artifacts dating back 3500+ years I don't collect such things as I consider that looting/theft.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Aarow said:
I have some National Geographic magazines from the early '50s.

At my grandparents' house can be found the largest collection of National Geographics I've ever seen, going back to when they were first published. Bookcases upon bookcases upon bookcases of them.

To add to the list, I've got an amber [maybe] paperweight carved in the shape of a whale that belonged to my great-grandfather, and one of his childhood toys: a metal horse drawn wagon. I've also got the high chair I used as a baby that's been in the family at least five generations. You can still see the teeth marks we've all put in it over the years. Somewhere in the family is a Civil War revolver supposedly once owned by Robert E. Lee.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Lord Blackadder said:
That's pretty amazing. I've been meaning to add a WWII-era Colt 1911 (.45) pistol to my collection, but decent ones are running $700+ these days. My grandfather (MP in the 8th Air Force) and his brother (US Infantry, Italian campaign) carried one but didn't bring them home. WWI-era models are pushing four figures. You've probably already heard this but he should have that weapon appraised and insured. If you can document the ownership and shrapnel damage it would be quite a valuable relic indeed, besides its significance to your family.

Sounds like an Arisaka Type-99. Pretty scarce nowadays.

And just to complete your opinions that I'm a gun-nut, the oldest things I own are also rifles. The oldest is a Swiss K31 dating from 1935, followed by a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 from 1939; I also have a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 from 1943...among others.

I also inherited a stamp/coin collection from my grandfather which dates mostly from the 30's/40's; it has some very interesting stuff in it.

I am an archeologist by trade and though I regularly deal with artifacts dating back 3500+ years I don't collect such things as I consider that looting/theft.

you know i know this dude, because he likes many girlfriends at once but no children, who got an operation and his gun shoots blanks ;)

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
The oldest man-made thing I have is one of my antique book collection. It is a book that I bought in Italy a few years ago, date 1622, originally published in 1572.

View attachment 44155

"(Perugia 1368–L’Aquila 1424)
A condottiere, he (Braccio Fortebracci) was exiled from his own lands of Montone, and fought in the service of various states and seigniories. In 1416 he became lord of Perugia, and later of Umbria as well. During his rule he surrounded himself with artists and commissioned a number of works. Named prince of Capua, he died from wounds received during the conquest of L’Aquila."

i found it in a bookseller's and it cost something like $10.

And the next oldest thing is another book, "Ward's Algebra", used as the standard maths book for the Mathematics Tripos at Cambridge University for many years, published in 1724

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
UKnjb said:
The oldest man-made thing I have is one of my antique book collection. It is a book that I bought in Italy a few years ago, date 1622, originally published in 1572.
Nice, but I think I can just improve on that: "The Customs of the Turks", printed in 1555, about the same date as my childhood home was built.

Attachments

• old tome.jpg
    old tome.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 54

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
skunk said:
Nice, but I think I can just improve on that: "The Customs of the Turks", printed in 1555, about the same date as my childhood home was built.

Nice one!!!! Why does it seem that there are so many more VERY old books, and with intact original bindings, in Italy than here in the UK? Climate? Care? But a lovely book of yours. *envy*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.