Your opinion on i4 unlock release

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CZK, Dec 5, 2010.

?

When do you think ultrasn0w v1.3 be released ( 02.10.04 )

1. Before Christmas

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. 1 month

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. 2 months

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. 3 months ++

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. CZK, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

CZK macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

MuscleNerd was reffering to monday november 29th.

Considering this, and considering previous time frames for developping utrasn0w when do you think the unlock for the iphone 4 02.10.04 will be released.

This topic is for opinions and objective arguments, don't take anything as factual.

----------------------------

In my opinion Dev Team should charge 25 $ each unlock. (you provide your iphone IME or serial number on purchase and they lock the unlock program to this serial number simply by adding your serial number value in the script and shipping your purchase via email. This is totally do-able i've seen this before ( not with cell phone but with something similar))

This way they would be able to work on this 8 hours a day for xx days.

Who cares paying 25 bucks once and get the unlock before iphone 7 gets out.

2. labman, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

labman macrumors 604

labman

when it's released but not before! more interested in a untethered jb for my I4 4.2.1 but I'm not going to start a poll about that! ;)

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It will be a while. A baseband crash is a long way from a stable unlock.

4. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do they did to make the unlock for the first baseband of the iphone 4 a couples of weeks after its release ?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

each time there is a Jailbreak or Unlock Apple / AT&T get smarter it becomes more difficult for the Dev-team and even Geohot to crack. it is a very complicated process to find jailbreaks and unlocks and then trying to make the device still stable. If AT&T would allow factory unlocks this would be much better for everyone except maybe AT&T but it could help them too. it takes as long as it takes. these guys are also allowed to have personal lives imo.

6. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

In my opinion they should charge 25 $ each unlock. (you provide your iphone IME or serial number on purchase and they lock the unlock program to this serial number simply by adding your serial number value in the script and shipping your purchase via email. This is totally do-able i've seen this before ( not with cell phone but with something similar))

This way they would be able to work on this 8 hours a day for xx days.

Who cares paying 25 bucks once and get the unlock before iphone 7 gets out.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

agree 100% now convince AT&T and then we have one less thing for the Dev-team and Geohot to worry about! now if only it was that easy even a $100 a pop would be worth it for those that want and or need it.. but this situation is not the Dev-teams fault and many of them are not affected by AT&T some don't live in the US

8. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

Convince AT&T of what ?

(I meant dev-team charging 25$ for the unlock, who cares paying 25 $ when not waiting for 6 months)

Also i live in canada and my phone is locked to telus the worst company of all.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

bottom line the Dev-team do not want to charge a few accept donations I don't see that changing for many reasons.

also if it were that this simple they would have done it probably for free the process is much more complicated then you think it is. you honestly think if the Dev-team could do what you said above they would spend there time working ion Ultrasn0w?

10. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

-Locking the unlock process to a single iphone'serial number is easy...

-Yes because 25$ x 100,000+ users is alot of money, they would be able to live out of this. ( the real question is: Is it legal or not?)

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

ok you win Dev-team just like to waste time hacking stuff! :rolleyes: and it's easy great entrepreneur thing for however does it including you. 2.5 mil according to your estimate.

12. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Look! OP is the same impatient troll from the previous thread!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058925

In my opinion, you should stop b!tching about this, and develop your own unlock.
    Yes, there, I said it.

Or do what this guy said:

13. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

u mad ? :O

14. bella92108 macrumors 68000

What's funny is that people talk about unlocks like it's the most amazing thing ever.

Put it this way...

$400 = $299 + Tax & Gas to Apple Store to buy an iPhone 4 32 on 2 year contract.

$2,655 = Price you pay for normal iPhone + Text + Smallest Voice Plan over 2 years.

That means the cost of owning an AT&T iPhone for 2 years is $3055

Now, if you buy a UK Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 like I did, it costs $867 (and if you actually go to the UK like me, you get about $100 VAT Refunded, but let's assume you don't)....

$867 = $867 to buy a 32 GB iPhone 4 FACTORY UNLOCKED

$2,655 = Price you pay for normal iPhone + Text + Smallest Voice Plan over 2 years. Even though I quote the price, you are free to leave ANYTIME since you can get a month to month plan on AT&T since you have NO CONTRACT.

That means the cost of owning a FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone for 2 years is $3522

Owning a factory unlocked phone costs you $467 more over 2 years, than signing your life over to AT&T, being forced to stick with them or pay their $325 Early Termination Fee, and having to deal with the BS of waiting for jailbreaks and unlocks and baseband issues, and not being able to just upgrade.....

.... All this hassle for $467, which equates to 15% more in total cost of ownership, which you're going to probably make up half of when you re-sell the device because factory unlocked devices sell for more.

I spend $1300 a year at STARBUCKS like many people. The US Cellular Companies have done a great job distracting you from the realities of cost of owning cellular service by hiding behind contracts, locked phones, and blurring the total cost be subsidizing a tiny piece of the total cost to make it look like you're getting a deal.

Be a smart consumer.

15. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, i consider myself as a smart consumer.

1- Bought my iphone locked to telus 779 $ ( cheapest iphone plan here is like 85 per month ( if you do not own it)... thats a real joke)

2- Activated it for a plan 25$ / month since i have wi-fi everywhere i am ( no need 3G)

3- went home to find out that where i live there is no coverage even if it is marked as covered on their map.

4- now i am waiting for the unlock ( i have another unlocked iphone so its not that bad)

16. yanr macrumors newbie

I'm sorry you are having problems with Telus. I am using my iPhone 4 on Telus' Student 55 Plan and yet to run into any issues.

As a "smart consumer" why would you have paid $779 to Telus for a locked phone? A factory unlocked iPhone 4 would have been the same price directly from Apple. The only reason to buy a locked iPhone in Canada is to get the subsidized pricing. I didn't want to pay $700 right now, so I signed and agreed to a locked phone for significant savings on the hardware (I would have the same plan regardless).

Just sell your phone and buy the unlocked version.

17. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had it for 700 (taxes included, didnt mentionned that price since it changes nothing) since i know some people there. Also when i bought it they were impossible to find , so imagine an unlocked one.

Calculated that it would be better to buy the phone and take a 25/month plan instead of 60-100$ plan for 36 months.

I'll wait for the unlokc, im not in a hurry.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right:D
    You could've fooled me.

19. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

lured

20. andy9l, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

A smart consumer? If you are smart then you wouldnt whine about getting a iPhone 4 as an iPod just because the dev-team haven't release an unlock for your model. You should have bought a official unlock iPhone 4.

22. CZK, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your arguments about androids are correct, but the only thing you seem to miss is that the app pool for the iphone rapes every argument that tyou could bring. There is like 100's of apps for androids and like 100 000's for the iphone. Now if you prefer iOS or androids is another thing and is subjective.

All their computers sell for 200-500 $ more than the competition for the exact same specs or better specs from the competition.

Example: Macbook vs SONY VAIO F Series VPCF13QFX/B NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM

For the same price ( 1099) sony's viao laptop owns the macbook.

Not even talking about desktops.. they are a real joke for the price.

You'll tell me yeah but they have mac OSX .... I'll tell you get a pc with a osx VMware for your xcode. No logic reason to own a mac besides scripting and a vmware can do it ( or beign a girl who likes shiny things).

Also all your arguments bringing personnal experiences are not valids. I bring facts, try to do the same.

23. andy9l, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  24. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

At least in Canada you had a choice. You could have bought an unlocked phone at full price from Apple and not be stuck with a subsidized phone from Telus. Those in the US don't have a choice. There are no unlocked phones sold in the US through Apple.