Your Opinion on Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFanaddic, Aug 30, 2009.

?

How do you feel after trying snowleopard?

1. Go Buy it Now! I love it

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. It does what it said it would. I like it.

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. It doesn't do what it's suppose to do. I don't like it.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Undecided, wait am I on Leopard or Snow Leopard?

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Going back to Leopard... I hate it

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. WTF? Where are the new features!? :o

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I would like to know your opinion on Snow Leopard

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Sorry, I attached a poll to this thread you just read it before it was done. Ya I wouldnt make a thread with such a stupid question

4. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Very impressed so far (I've installed it on 3 machines w/ 2 to go). I picked up an average of 6GB of disk space on the machines I've completed. Programs seem to open much more quickly. The support for MS Exchange is nice. I'm still checking out the other features. Not a lot of bells & whistles, but some pretty solid behind-the-scenes improvements.

I only have two programs that don't work on it at all. One is info.xhead, but I was already in the process of switching to 1Password - which has an iPhone version - so that's not a big deal for me. SmithMicro's Internet Clean-up is the other (I've pretty much lost faith in Smith-Micro: I've always found their stuff kind of clunky, so it's not surprising they weren't ready for SL). Quicken required me to download Rosetta to work.

Programs I use extensively, and with which I've had no problems include:

Photoshop CS4
    PS Elements 6
    Aperture
    Logic Studio
    MS Office 2007
    the iWork suite
    Final Cut Express
    Safari 4.0
    Diskwarrior
    Techtool Pro
    Accordance Bible
    SuperDuper
    the iLife suite

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I wrote this Friday night, after a friend asked the same question:

So far, awesome. Very elegant refinements in the UI, and the work under-the-hood is noticeable in the overall smoothness and responsiveness. Orders of magnitude better rev-point-zero than 10.5 was.

I haven't checked out all the "goodies" yet, but I'm not rushed for time ;) One thing I did play with was the screen recording feature in QT-X. It works very well - it even mixed my voiceover with an on-going audio chat. It'll be a very useful help aid and for some, worth $30 itself.

I'm getting used to the changes to Exposé. They changed the layout a bit, but added the ability to use the Dock and you can now get directly to an app-window-only Exposé from the app's Dock icon.

On the footprint side, my MBP gained about 11.2GB (base 10 - get used to it), our MBA gained 8.1GB. I suspect the difference might be because I had already weeded out a couple of GB in printer drivers on that machine prior to installing SL. The elimination of unneeded printer drivers is responsible for good part of the smaller footprint.​

Since I wrote that, I've had almost two more days experience with it and I still have the same impression. A lot of the little, rough edges in 10.5's UI have been smoothed out. The speed improvement is very noticeable in launching apps, the Finder, Mail, Safari (yes, "snappier"), and just a general responsiveness. We are already seeing some of the fruits of the massive labor which has been accomplished under-the-hood, and we'll only see more of it in the months and years to come.

Some reviewers have been disappointed by the lack of UI/noticeable changes. Overall, I have a different take: the fact the user doesn't have a new OS "in their face" is a good thing! There is no reason to make changes for the sake of change. Apple (as they've said all along) has put forth enormous effort in developing the operating system itself - something a lot of users don't have an in-depth knowledge or understanding thereof; or, for that matter, even care about. It's no wonder there are so many dreary, "I don't see anything new" reviews. To those reviewers, I say go back and re-read the sales brochure. Apple has more than delivered as promised. To see the very few glitches in a point-zero rev is a testament to all the hard work which has gone into both Leopard AND Snow Leopard. Good job Apple!