Your Primary OS is???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by squeeks, Sep 11, 2007.

?

What OS do you use most on your most used computer?

1. Tiger

133 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. Panther

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Older OSX

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. Leopard Beta

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Windows, Linux, or Other

15 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

what os do you use most, on your most used system??

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Tiger. I'm undecided how long I'll wait before upgrading to Leopard. I guess it depends on finances at that time. I'm buying a condo, so funds will be better spent elsewhere for awhile, I'm sure.

3. GuntherS macrumors member

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wow, the results seem quite skewed @ the moment.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Who would've thought that most of the users on a Mac forum are using the current version of the MacOS? :eek:

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

OMG you're using Tiger too? you too?! yeah me too!!

waiting for Leopard...

7. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, i posted this poll because a bunch of people in the ipod forum are bitching about the new ipods needing 10.4 and apparently to my great surprise a lot of people didnt bother upgrading to tiger, dosent look like it from my poll at the moment though

p.s. i cant believe i actually created a poll where theres no one complaining about the poll choices!!:D ...yet

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's no surprise if you take a step out of MR and into the real world. Lots of people still use older versions. Why bother spending the money for the upgrade if what you've got gets the job done? I know a few people who still use OS 9.

Speaking of classic OSs -- where are they in your poll? And why are you lumping Windows with Linux? That's blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. ;)

9. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

oops, i had planned to make an option for OS 9 or below, my bad

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Windows, and no you can't make me feel worse :p
    Every time I boot into OSX it's like a dream. But I'm only in XP for about 30 minutes a night as I organise media and set it to convert my dumped DVD iso's into iPod media.

Shame the applications I use aren't being ported to Mac :(

A necessary evil.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is that the overall penetration of Tiger on computers that meet system requirements is quite high, considering it's age, but not necessarily in absolute numbers. Jobs reported that 2/3 of the OS X install base uses Tiger, as of 6/07. If you factor out Macs that are not compatible with Tiger (pre-Firewire macs still in use), that number might be slightly north of 70%.

I would guess you see more outliers here -- meaning that both people using very old macs are overrepresented here and people who upgrade are overrepresented here. So there are probably more Jaguar users here or people who still use OS 8/9/Classic than there elsewhere, but then there's probably simultaneously a higher rate of Tiger users (i.e. a lower rate of Panther users) here.

But anyway, also, no one is posting threads that go "OMG!!!1111 iPod rekwires Tiger!!1111 Iz a gud thing I haz Tiger!!!!1111" right?

12. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

:D

Priceless.

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

maybe your poll only supports 10.4 LOL

14. faust macrumors regular

faust

I'll use Leopard when it's released in October, but for now I'm running Tiger.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Vista Business and Ultimate.

That was unexpected, wasn't it.

16. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok now THATS priceless:D:D:D

17. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Tiger...

I usually wait for the first update before i make the OS jump.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

At Work: Mostly Linux (Fedora) in my Office for development work.
    Solaris in the labs for production. I run Windows XP inside VMware Server on the Linux system for a few minutes each day.

At Home: Tiger on a 24" iMac. mostly. But some stuff runs in VMware Fusion under either Windows XP or Linux (Ubuntu)

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

For those that have the Leopard beta, is it even stable enough to run right now? I mean, is it really plausible to use as your primary OS?

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

10.4.10 here...always update a.s.a.p, and I will with 10.5...

22. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Panther 10.3

Tiger 10.4 didn't offer enough for me to upgrade. 10.4's major features are things I'd use if I had them, but aren't useful enough to me to spend $129 on.

1) I don't care much about dashboard - all it does it save a click or two from opening a web page or other application.

2) I don't care much about automator - applescript covers my needs

3) I don't care much about spotlight - I've never needed to find a file on my Mac that the Finder's find file function didn't find easily.

However 10.5 offers a bunch of stuff that I would find REALLY useful

1) Spaces - I usually have a bunch of different programs open because I switch back and forth between different task, which results in a cluttered workspace. I'm A.D.D., so all that clutter makes it very hard for me to focus on the task I want to accomplish. It'll be so awesome having dedicated workspaces that only includes the open windows of programs I want for the task at hand and having all the other non-associated programs disappear

2) Time Machine - built in no-think backup is a master stroke! I back up waaaayyy too infrequently, maybe once every couple of years. And when I do need to find a file off an old backup there's a big risk that I can't easily locate the version of the file I'm looking for even if I do in fact have it backed up somewhere. With Time machine the backups are automatic and live searchable! Awesome!

3) Quick Look - instant large and live previews of every single document viewed from directly within the finder without having to launch a viewer app! That's almost worth $129 by itself!

4) Major under the hood improvements - I can't tell you how many times my computer has come to a screeching halt because OS X can't handle an unresponsive network drive. Some of the back end networking stuff in the current OS X is so terrible that the effect it has on the user interface is just embarrassing. 10.5 should fix all that.

5) Niceties like Finder Stacks, etc. - these are similar to the type of minor improvements that 10.4 were about. They aren't worth upgrading for, but they certainly sweeten an already awesome deal.

6) Application improvements - Updated and new features in all the iApps like Mail, Safari and iCal are collectively a significant upgrade to your computer all by themselves.

7) Boolean operators in Spotlight - this finally makes the spotlight search a much more powerful tool over what you can do with the Finder's Find File. This is a major upgrade to OS X's capabilities.

All that AND the minor enhancements 10.4 brought make the move from 10.3 to 10.5 a slam dunk!

23. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

These two apply going from 10.3 -> 10.4 too.

24. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Where's Commodore and Atari!!! This must have been planted by an unfair and unbalanced source.;)

25. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I hate to admit it but I own 4 computers and only one of them's a Mac! :eek:

I'm working to remedy the situation....I promise....but I'm afraid I had to tick the Windows box!

Please down kick me out...I like it here! :apple: