Your Snow Leopard boot times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I was planning to get Snowey and a SSD at the same time, but the latter had to wait. So far, I´m seeing at least a ten seconds improvement in boot time with Snow Leopard:

17" Macbook pro unibody 2.93 Ghz, 4 GB ram 7200rpm HD

before SL: boot up from 39 to 55 seconds

after SL: boot up time from 30 to 39 seconds

P

Ok, so there is no interest in this topic.
    For me boot time is a rather important criterium.
    And I think the fact that SL reduce this with almost 10 seconds is AMAZING.
    Can anyone else confirm though?

2. kolax macrumors G3

You reboot often..?

One of the amazing things about a Mac is its ability to wake from sleep almost instantly and be fresh to use. I rarely restart - only when I need to boot into Boot Camp or an update requires it.

I don't understand people who shut their Macs down every time they've finished using it.

3. TripleJJJ macrumors member

Yes, same for me, except for bootcamp users, you must use the sleep mode.

4. Pagga thread starter macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    The practical advantage of the sleep mode doesn´t make the boot time
    less relevant in theory, and thus not for quality rating the new SL system.
    I think it´s a limited way of viewing a computer, when you base it on your personal usage. Good for you, but not entirely relevant.
    Boot time may be highly relevant for others; boot campers, plain travellers, program installers, onyx users, gamers, et cetera.

If you´re not interested in boot time because you mostly use the sleep mode,
    perhaps you are not as interesting to listen to.

with respect,
    P

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

About the same, might even take a bit longer. What is really noticeable is when it loads the desktop. Everything seems ready in seconds rather waiting for everything to load - items load up faster.

6. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

About to install Snow Leopard... after reading many posts about the performance increases it seems as though most get boot times up to 10 seconds faster or more.

If this is the case for me I will be most pleased....

Now: 13 - 20 second boot time.

Theoretical with SL: 3 - 10 second boot time.

7. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

8. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Hmm... right now with Leopard, my machine takes about 35-40 seconds to boot. When I get SL, it should be around 25-30 secs, right?

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It's so fast on booting that I haven't bothered to count the timings.

10. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Some people shutdown their macs, as its much faster than waiting for the laptop to sleep. usually when the laptop sleeps I wait till the hard drive spins down fully and the white light pulses slowly which can take longer than a straight shutdown which takes about 5 seconds.

11. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Leopard boots faster than windows 7 even, that's all I care about. With an SSD it's even faster (26 seconds to stable desktop in mine).

If SL improves the boot times, better yet.

12. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I find sleep drains the battery life. Anyone else?

13. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Of course it does, it uses the battery to keep the RAM powered, so that it can wake your laptop quicker.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The amazing time issue for me is shutdown. I have an SSD, and mine now shuts down IN LESS THAN ONE SECOND! Before it was like three seconds... I am amazed by it. Boot time has improved by about three seconds... but was already at 21 seconds. SSDs are incredible!

15. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Download and install SmartSleep. It's a preference pane that allows you to choose when your MacBook (Pro) goes into sleep and hibernate or just sleep. I've set mine to go into sleep and hibernate at <20% battery life. Any other time, right when you shut the lid, the hard drive spins down immediately and the light begins to pulse.

16. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I boot up in 9 secs and shutdown at 5 secs. Does that mean I'm gonna get 1 sec and 0 sec respectively for SL?

LOL.

17. vanakaru macrumors newbie

When you are on a hurry to get out of the door shutdown is much safer than sleep. Lets say you put to sleep by closing the lid, then you see that you forgot to unplug external monitor, you try to do it before sleep is complete, you shove your mac into the foam(neoprene) sleeve.....You take it out and it is baked due to hang on screen reconf and overheating.

18. kolax macrumors G3

Really.. it is quicker for you to shutdown your Mac than it is to put it to sleep?

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Shut Down in 1 second and Boot up in 5-10. With my Intel SSD.:p

20. adamk77 macrumors 6502

How are you measuring your boot time? I also have the Intel X-25M SSD.

I shut down my machine, then start the stop watch at the same time I hit the power button on my MBP. The time it takes from the time I press the power button to the time I see my desktop wallpaper is around 35 seconds.

How are you getting such a speedy boot time? I'd like to know ! :)

21. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Leopard on my 2.66 17" uMBP is 25~30seconds depending
    Testing snow leopard its around 13~19seconds pretty quick (similar to what my old MacPro 2.8 got with Leopard)

marginally ... i left my 17" uMBP sleep overnight on battery and it was at 95% and in the morning (around 8-9hours later) was at 90% but i didnt leave any apps or programs open when i put it to sleep so there wasnt much to bank to the ram or anything like that.

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Shut down is blazing fast, and power up is right at about 40 sec. I think it has to do with the fact that I did the upgrade, not the clean install. My HDD is just as full as it was with Leopard, so the boot up time would only be improved by very little. I do have some items set to automatically start with login, so that might shave a sec or so off my time.

SLEEP is my favorite thing about a Mac. It was one of the things that attracted me from the WIndows world. A Mac handles that so much better than a PC. I love closing the lid and packing up the MB. I have been doing that for months now, without waiting for the HDD to power down, and i've not had any issues yet. I take my MB to work with me, so it's really convenient to sleep it on the drive there and back.

23. benrockwood macrumors member

benrockwood

Shutdown is blazing fast.. but the system boot up is gone up.. i think by 5 to 10 secs when compared to snow leopard :mad: . maybe its my system.. i am thinking to do a fresh install. but any suggestions from the experts where i can look into and make the system boot faster

Ben

24. iphonehk macrumors member

Doen't putting it to sleep and packing it up and going off increases your chance of the mac being spolit. I have heard some people telling me that when you put you mac to sleep, try not to move it around as the harddisc is still in motion. So you might crash the machine. And most of them told me to shut down instead. That is what I have been doing, shutting down.

25. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Call me old school but I just think that any electronic device in the "off" position just lasts longer than one where electrical current is constantly applied (No matter how miniscule).