Your thoughts on Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBH928, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hello everyone ,

I want to know other user's thoughts on chrome(on mac).

I recently checked the browser and its faster than safari, it renders pages faster, and it is much more responsive. Safari sometimes takes time to open a new tab for example.
    Chrome loads pages with heavy graphics/flash noticeably faster.

I read on the internet that Safari proved to be faster, but I do not see how that can be possible, I got a macbook that is less than 1 year old.

The browser is still in beta, and looks extremely promising. I know some of you would prefer firefox or Safari right now, but any one feels this is the next best browser?
    Unless Apple acts quick and release a new Safari that is light and responsive to use.
    I am still on leopard

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's a beta that still has a lot of stability issues to overcome. I'll hold off on judging it until 1.0.

3. Scratch4 macrumors newbie

Though it's still beta and has (some) issues, Chrome is my new default day-to-day browser. Everything about it is very quick and responsive (loading of the app, and rendering webpages). I use FireFox for more important web browsing though.

I run Leopard on a 1 year old Macbook.

4. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Chrome is a *POC and will forever play catch-up with safari on the Mac OS X platform. Despite both being developed from webkit (which Apple has pushed and made more mainstream) Safari on Mac OS X is also a Cocoa Application. So for anybody that thinks Chrome for Mac will be this BIG competitor on the OS X platform. I think not.

By time it comes out of beta Safari will be even further ahead and Google will always be niched into the role of catch up on the Mac OS X platform. Apple will never allow another browser to best them on their on OS.

RANT] Google should just stick to there plan of doing there thing on the Windows Platform. That company (google) is really ticking me off with their copying and invading Apple's spaces. [/RANT

*Piece Of Crap

iDisk

:apple:

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's ok, better than Firefox on mac, but I would just stick to safari and only use it on Windows.

Afterall, it isn't as if safari is any where near as bad as IE.

6. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

They already have, its called Firefox. More stable, more customizable, better features (save a session when you close the app)...
    Imo, Safari has a long way to catch up to Firefox before i consider using it.

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Its a very nice browser. I like it a lot better than Safari. Obviously a few bugs, but overall I like it.
    The only reason I still use Firefox is because of I have a lot of addons. Aside from that, its just pure habit to use FF.

8. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

9. 3rd Doctor macrumors member

10. dws90 macrumors regular

Firefox has the most "power user" features of the three browsers, through extensions and things like the Awesomebar. Most people will never use these features, but I do, and this makes Firefox indispensable for me. On the flip side, it can be a rather cumbersome beast, particularly at startup.

Safari is the least "power user" features - it loads web pages and not much else (these days, I don't consider things like tabs to be power user features). However, of the three, it has the best OS integration, and is the only browser to run in 64-bits. This makes it very snappy.

Chrome is somewhere in the middle. It doesn't quite have as power user features as Firefox (at least not yet), but it has far more than Safari. In turn, it's faster than Firefox.

The speed competition is mostly a lie, however - the differences between browser speeds are so minimal that the other differences between the browsers are far more important than which one can execute Javascript 40 MS faster.

Thus, if you make use of Firefox extensions, go with Firefox. may want to give that a try. Otherwise, you may as well use Safari.

11. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Yes. Among other factors, though that's not the main reason.

Full version Safari is better then any "beta" out. FireFox should worry since they really focus on Windows Users, cause thats where Chrome is focusing.

Again Apple WILL NOT ALLOW a competitor to best them on their OS, it's that simple. If you don't believe me then just wait till WWDC.

I'm actually going to go this year. :D. They come included if your an ADC Member

12. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Well currently yeah, Chrome is not best, it is still a beta
    But it sure is a lot more snappier than Safari, Safari seems like a huge resource hog, plus I might be wrong but Chrome's interface looks a lot simpler and easier than Safari's.

As for FireFox no one can beat that browser in extensions , and the awesomebar is really awesome, I have to say its the best bar out there.

Still I see the possibilities for Chrome huge on the mac. As I said if Apple does not catch up with a lighter snappier browser I think Chrome will win.
    I think they are just around the same speed but Chrome renders pages faster, Safari seems to have hiccups and slow downs.

Whoever said that Safari is 64bit and is snappier, I am not sure if that applies to my macbook but from personal experience, its not snappier than Chrome at all.

This is out of topic, but is it possible that FireFox/Camino will not make the macbook as hot as Safari running flash? My macbook is burning at 167F/75C while watching youtube.

13. AJasken macrumors newbie

I've been using Chrome since it has been available to the Mac. I also have been using Safari as well. I would have to say that they both have their ups and downs...as I would expect. Safari loads some sites faster than Chrome and vice versa. The thing I like about Chrome is the extensions...which was just released through the developer build. I can see that bringing a lot of Firefox users once it becomes more stable, even though the power Firefox users probably won't budge for some time.

It's all about what your particular needs may be, if want speed then go for speed, hell check out Opera it's really fast (not exactly the most stable thing ever). If you want to be able to customize and really use it for more than surfing than it's basically Firefox. I am also glad that there is a company (Google) out there competing with Apple on more than one product. The more competition the more excellence.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My thoughts on Chrome?

Since google created it, I'll probably ignore it. They've quickly becoming the Microsoft of the new millennium. I don't think I want to give them any more access to my computer then needed to. Their EULA's are quite slanted in their favor, i.e., allowing them perpetual use of your data/images when you use their apps.

15. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I use Chrome on my MacBook and I love it.

I think everyone needs to back off on the Google bashing. Yes, Google has a web browser, a phone and mobile operating system, and soon to have a netbook OS. So what? They're not going to replace Apple. Don't worry. The great thing about Google is that they want all of their products to work on everything. Have you seen Google Goggles on Android? Well it's coming to the iPhone too, so don't worry.

Google's not trying to put Apple out of business, so I don't know why everyone says that they're sick of Google moving in on Apple's turf.

Get over it.

16. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

competition is always good
    even if it is against apple

17. dbwie macrumors 6502

Safari and Chrome feel about the same speed at loading pages to me. I like Chrome, but have gotten used to Safari. I like how easy it is in Safari to enable private browsing, it does well at blocking popup windows, and the "show all bookmarks" is a nice feature. On the flip side, I like how Chrome handles tabs. I have never been a big Firefox on Mac fan, however Firefox is my browser of choice on a PC. Browser competition is good for us.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You basically confirmed my own statement. They want to control everything and have restrictive EULAs. I think you'll be seeing an increase in google bashing because they are operating like a monopoly just as MS had in the 80s and 90s. Just look what they tried to do with copyrights and scanning books. Basically they attempted to control the sector ignoring (read trampling) on the authors/publishers copyrights. People caught wind of that and started making it a big deal.

19. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I have Safari, Chrome and Firefox on my MacBook and MacBookPro. But 99% of the time I use Safari because it is fast, and just work great. I switch to Firefox when I find something that doesn't work. But I can't seem to find a good reason for ME to switch to Chrome. It's OK, nothing wrong with it, but doesn't seem to give me, or offer me anything that Safari doesn't.

(NOTE, I don't use any extensions)

20. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

Chrome is excellent. I've had so many problems with safari such as freezing and doing other strange stuff. Chrome is by far perfect but it's a hell of a lot faster than safari. I like it's simplicity.

21. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I can see myself replacing Firefox with Chrome when it comes out of beta.

Unfortunately it's unusable to me at the moment as I can't use the Bookmarks Manager, which is a known issue with Chrome for OS X at the moment.

Once everything works though, I'll seriously consider switching. It's a hell of a lot faster than firefox on my macbook (which is slow as hell for some reason...) and it looks good too.

22. doctorfresh macrumors newbie

Safari, Chrome & Firefox

I've never had much reason to use FF - like many users (I suspect/hope), I have no idea what 'extensions' are on web pages. I use a web browers for, uh, browsing the web. So, generally I use Safari. For the same reason, I have had no reason to try out chrome.

Out of interest, a friend of mine who thinks (or used to think) that Windows is the ultimate platform (he has become less devout over time) told me that despite his best endeavours, he now uses Safari to browse the web as it is far better than IE, he doesn't like Firefox and could see no advantage to using Chrome. A windows user on Safari. Hmmm

23. NewRevolution88 macrumors member

Just don't understand that, why use safari until you 'find something that doesn't work' and then switch to Firefox? Why not just use Firefox to begin with? Maybe I'm just lucky but I haven't come across a single page that Firefox had trouble with. You may just find some use for those addons too, if you do a little investigating you'll find they can be quite useful (AdBlockPro baby!).

24. craigc1264 macrumors newbie

I LOVE Chrome! It seems to run so much better then Safari.

25. Greenman85 macrumors regular