Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
On the other hand it is reassuring that currency is actually worth the material it is made from, and that its value is not merely dictated by government fiat.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
There have been times when I toss the pennies away. One day last week I stopped at a subway newsstand to buy the paper for fifty cents. I handed the vendor three dimes, two nickels and ten pennies ... it took him just a few seconds to fly into a rage and throw the pennies against the wall. I turned around and said, "I'm not in love with them either, but it still is money ... if you have other issues, speak to those police officers who are leaning against the wall."

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Deepdale said:
There have been times when I toss the pennies away. One day last week I stopped at a subway newsstand to buy the paper for fifty cents. I handed the vendor three dimes, two nickels and ten pennies ... it took him just a few seconds to fly into a rage and throw the pennies against the wall. I turned around and said, "I'm not in love with them either, but it still is money ... if you have other issues, speak to those police officers who are leaning against the wall."

Ha, that is funny. There was really no reason for him to get so upset with you because you paid him in different denominations of coin- the bottom line is that you did pay him. :rolleyes: :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
On my second last day of work in Canada I pinched a bunch of those terrible paper things for rolling the coins (geeze I love being able to use plastic bags here, oh, and not having 1c coins, or 2c coins anymore), and on my last day of work I took in 6 months worth of 1c, 5c, 10c and 25c coins and swapped them for notes.

Get rid of 1c coins people, they're weighing you down. We ditched our 1c and 2c coins back in the late 80's/early 90's and it was a wonderful day. Our neighbours across the ditch are just about to get rid of the 5c coin too and we're apparently going to do the same some time. I just hope we can follow the kiwis a bit further and reduce the size of our massive coins. The 50c coin is just ridiculously huge and is a big problem because we use them just as much as the 5c, the 10c, the 20c the $1 and $2 coins.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
risc said:
See my sig. ;) Actually I chuck them in a plastic container and my GF steals them for coffee.

:D

As an addendum to my earlier post, I made it to the Coinstar™ thing and dumped my change. I got a $44.10 Starbucks card (and that's with no fee, since there are no fees if one gets a gift card). :eek: $44 in change! And $17 of it was in pennies....

I'm starting to think I should've stopped midway and gotten part of it as iTunes certificates! ;)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I see where they could get 600 million if they rounded up the price of each item purchased, but what about slowly phasing out the penny by requiring that the manufacturers make new cash registers round up the total (after tax) to the nearest nickel.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
garfield2002 said:
Cnn.com had a story about this today as well. Attached to the story is an amusing video where the reporter tries to by a newspaper with 25 pennies. One stand turns her away, and at a second the guy tells her to take the paper for free.

That's against the law.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mkrishnan said:
:D

As an addendum to my earlier post, I made it to the Coinstar™ thing and dumped my change. I got a $44.10 Starbucks card (and that's with no fee, since there are no fees if one gets a gift card). :eek: $44 in change! And $17 of it was in pennies....

I'm starting to think I should've stopped midway and gotten part of it as iTunes certificates! ;)

That is a nice sum of change that you had there mkrishnan. :)

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
Get rid of 1c coins people, they're weighing you down. We ditched our 1c and 2c coins back in the late 80's/early 90's and it was a wonderful day. Our neighbours across the ditch are just about to get rid of the 5c coin too and we're apparently going to do the same some time. I just hope we can follow the kiwis a bit further and reduce the size of our massive coins. The 50c coin is just ridiculously huge and is a big problem because we use them just as much as the 5c, the 10c, the 20c the $1 and $2 coins.

I absolutely hate our coins. Especially the 2$ one. Who the hell decided to call our coins 'loonies' and 'toonies'? Like we don't have enough trouble being taken seriously.

Bring back paper!

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
You know I used to laugh at keeping pennies and small change then I started a penny jar , its a 2L glass jar , when it gets 3/4 full about every four months I dump it out and count, there is usually $80-100 in there. Now that isnt small change.
a Stupid FYI : my local starbucks ( less then 80 feet from house) makes over $50 bucks a day in the karma cup / tip cup in small change.

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I saw this in today's paper and thought it was fitting

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
At my last workplace on our floor we had a neat little co-operative vending service called the "pop fridge", maintained by some anonymous "pop fairy". It was basically a fridge that was stocked with various cold pops and juices, and a shelf stocked with chips, candy bars, twinkies, etc. Someone would make a run to Costco periodically to keep the area stocked with food. Everything was 50 cents, and you simply dropped your change into a coin box on the shelf. The proceeds paid for the next round at Costco and any extra money was donated to a charity.

So what I started to do was accumulate my pennies and small change from my shopping trips or visits to the company cafeteria, and keep them in a penny jar at my desk. Then, when I was hungry, I would use them to buy my snacks from the pop fridge. If I was feeling really rebellious, I would exchange my pennies for quarters from the coin box without even buying anything. :p

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Tanglewood said:
I saw this in today's paper and thought it was fitting

<comic removed>

I've adopted a superstition from someone I knew in college: When I see a penny (and it's not filthy or otherwise inconvenient to reach) and it's heads-up, I pick it up "for luck", but if it's tails-up, I flip it over so that someone else might gain that luck. ;)

Anyway, the only way I'd agree to have the US penny dropped is if they prohibitted merchants from rounding everything up and used the Swedish rounding system that frankblundt described on the final total, for cash transactions. And put egregious round-up offenders in public stockades. I've read that in Ireland (and other places, I'm sure) many a shop owner took advantage of the switch to euros to raise their prices, and we don't need that happening here.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
nbs2 said:
I'm firming in the keep the penny camp, and I would love to find the source of my local news's claim that killing the penny would cost consumers $600m per year (thus justifying keeping the penny).

While I want to keep the penny, too, $600m per year is "only" $2 per person. Or slightly over half a penny a day. Hey! We should reintroduce the idea of the ha'penny. :D

When I get pennies I tend to drop them in the "leave a penny, take a penny" dish, if there is one. Those have come in handy for me many times. Otherwise they end up at home in an old globe bank that my mother had when she was a child (it shows such places as French West Africa!).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's been 149 years since the US got rid of the half-penny. I think we've had enough inflation since then to render the penny pretty much obsolete.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
WildCowboy said:
It's been 149 years since the US got rid of the half-penny. I think we've had enough inflation since then to render the penny pretty much obsolete.

Nice factual post WildCowboy, it puts things into perspective. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.