Your view on the design of the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gghootch, Oct 13, 2010.

1. gghootch macrumors newbie

Among my peers, many thought of the design of the iPhone 4 as rather unapple-like and disappointing when they saw the first screenshots of the device.

Now that many of them have actually held the iPhone 4, their opinions have changed. All of them like/love it. I'd like to know how the MacRumors crowd relates to my peers.

[ ] Liked the design at first, still like it.
    [1] Didn't like the design at first, like it now.
    [ ] Didn't like the design at first, still don't like it.

2. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Always liked it, but its too small in the hand for me to use without a case. Which is fine, considering I need a case to keep a phone call. And even with the case they're always dropping. After using it you can't say the design is good. The thing drops calls like crazy. Cosmetically though the things a beauty.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Personally I like it. I never really liked the 3G/3GS style since it was too round. The iPhone 4's edges are clean cut and give it a very clean look. What I did like about the 3G/3GS models were that they felt better in your hand and the iPhone 4 doesn't since it's a little skinnier. Overall though, I like the design change for this phone.

4. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I liked it when I first saw the design, and love it now. It just looks and feels so sleek, much more so than my 3G.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I loved my 3GS it was the best phone I ever owned, then I bought my iPhone 4, well still love my 3GS even gave it to my son just to keep it in the family, however I would rather not have a phone at all if I have to give up my iP4, so I guess that sums up my feelings.

7. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

When I first saw the i4, it made my 3GS look like yesterday's tech. I like the design a lot. Even though it might be more fragile, design wise, it's killer.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I like the design when it comes to looks, but technically and the choice of materials aren't met with such joy.

9. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I like it beacoup...however it's too slippery in the hands without a bumper or Apple sock on it

10. iRance macrumors regular

What about,I liked it first,don't like it now.

11. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm in this boat. I still love the looks of it, but it's one of the most unergonomic phones I've ever owned. The more I use my iPhone 4, the more I appreciate the design of my older 3G/3GS's more. Those just sat in the hand so much better than the iPhone 4 does, at least when the phone isn't in a case (bare iPhone). It's very hard for me to use my iPhone 4 bare, as it's just too thin, slippery, and angular to hold and use comfortably. I feel more like I'm holding a very pretty, but awkwardly made piece of jewelry instead of a phone. The corners/hard edges of the phone don't hit your palms/insides of your fingers at natural points, and it just feels like the layout of the human hand wasn't considered at all in the phone's design. Of the 3 employees I have that have all upgraded to the iPhone 4 from a 3G or 3GS, not a one of them say it's a more comfortable design than the one they came from (just asked all of them). But they do agree that it's speed and the Retina display are features that more or less make up for the boxy design.

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I think it is possibly the best thing that Apple has designed, and that's certainly saying a lot, as I don't think they have had a poor or even mediocre design in quite a while.

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm considered to have averaged size hands for a six foot tall man. At just under 59mm wide, the iP4 is too small to be comfortable to hold for any period of time while on a call.

I have found after trying a variety of other sizes, a 63 to 65mm wide phone like my Samsung Captivate, or Droid X are just right and very comfortable.

The shape of my iPhone 4 is very attractive and functional in my opinion. Although it makes the phone fragile, I really like the glass for its stellar look. While I've never liked nor used a case, as we all know its a must so I'm now using a Speck Pixel Skin (not HD). It increases the width to 61mm, and adds a nice grippy texture which makes it secure in hand. I like it far better than the HD, which I've also tried.

Other than destroying the gorgeous look of the phone, the case is worth it since now the phone will make calls and is comfortable and secure in hand.

Finally, the overall size now seems anemic after enjoying the 4+" displays on my various Android phones. I truly hope to see Apple join the present day phones with larger displays.

Apples excellence with design would allow them to move up to the larger display size while barely increasing the overall size of the phone. A move I believe would serve them well.

14. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Liked it at first, like it even more now. beautiful and functional. Feels just right in the hand without a case. I have Ghost Armor on it now (professionally installed so NO annoying bubbles). now it is perfect.

15. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I think the screen is a great size, though of course more landscape without any increase in overall size would be fine. Most of these other phones feel too big in my opinion. I have an iPad for anything requiring a larger screen. Please Apple keep the iPhone no bigger than it is now.

16. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Love at first sight! I think it's the most beautiful piece of technology ever and it feels just right in my hand size/weight-wise.

17. synagence macrumors 6502a

I gave my wife my 3GS when i bought my 4 and every now and then when i have cause to use the 3GS again i'm shocked by it.... feels cheap to me, the screen is poor compared to retina and just shows how much denser the pixels are

Would never leave my 4 behind now

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Didn't like it at first, but love it now.

Like others said, we may like/love the design, but it isn't the most comfortable to hold and it is too slippery. I'm not a case guy but this model needs it which defeats the purpose a bit. I don't mind. You could say I don't fall under Apple's target audience where aesthetics first is over most things. Personally, I am practical and just want features over form. I'm not trying to impress friends, family, or strangers with a phone. Once I saw the keynote back on June 7th and it officially showed us the features, I was sold on it. My original iPhone went on Craigslist the same day. The glass on both sides wasn't its main reason I got it. The previous iPhones were getting close to where I wanted it to be. This model is the closest to exactly where I wanted the iPhone to be in the first place over three years ago. Nice screen, camera, faster CPU, better battery life, etc.

19. SR2 macrumors regular

The design is great except for the antena blunder. It's by far the best looking phone on the market. Unfortunately the crappy reception is forcing me to use my Aria at work.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I know I'm in the minority here and will get flamed, but I think the design is quite ugly and very clunky looking. I think they took a step backwards aesthetically from the 3gs. It always amazes me that the ip4 is in reality very thin, as it looks thick. My Samsung captivate is soooo much thinner, until I actually put them on a table side by side and my senses actually realize again that the ip4 is actually thinner.

21. ninjax00 macrumors newbie

I Love the new design. It feels solid when held and looks modern, especially when compared to the 3gs. I really like this form factor and hope that future iterations will be at least based on this device, sans antenna issues (obviously). Many people at my school think the new design is too boxy and looks like a thin brick.I whole-heartedly disagree

22. solman macrumors member

Stunning

The reason I never jumped in to the previous iPhones is that I felt it was too wide. To hold the phone meant all my fingers were spread out. I always said "if only it was narrower" And by gosh Lord Jobs answered my prayers :)

When I look at or hold the 3Gs now it feels so yesterday. Glad I entered the game in Gen 4.

23. Raj24v macrumors member

I at first didn't like the design at all, I thought it was a step back from the 3GS but now I totally love it. It's so slick with great features, definitely a huge improvement in what they previously offered.

Just couldn't do without my iPhone 4 now.

24. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Polls ****************, do you speak them?

(bad attempt at lulz)

I like the iPhone 4's design except it's slippery as hell.

25. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

greatest design on a mobile phone to date

seriously, no apple fanboy, I switched to ATT solely because of the hardware aspect of the IP4, I always wanted a phone that felt very sturdy and solid in your hand, sharp shaped, love the cold metal feel, flat back and front

its just gorgeous