Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
This sucks.. This really sucks.... All summer I have been looking for a job, I would go to job interviews (a total of 4) and after all of them I left with the handshake and the "thanks for your time" catchphrase. Then my local apple store calls and I get all psyched up, get the interview, go as far as a background check.. And then get an email saying "thank you for your time".

Man.. this summer.... :mad: :mad: It's like you try and try, and you can't get what you want. :mad:

Things can only get better, I hope... :( :( :mad: :(

~sigh~

Uni starts on monday, maybe that'll change things up a bit..

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Gotta be patient -- almost everyone who's employed was rejected from a whole host of jobs before getting the one they have.

Don't forget, too, that employers make mistakes in the hiring process. If they didn't hire you, their mistake!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
CubaTBird said:
Then my local apple store calls and I get all psyched up, get the interview, go as far as a background check.. And then get an email saying "thank you for your time".
Perhaps something in your background that employers might not like?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You're 19 year old student (i.e. no degree yet) and live in a highly populated area like S CA... I'm not surprised.

In the first place, there aren't many openings and for the few openings there are, there are older and (seemingly) more-qualified people who are also applying for the same job openings. Also, employers don't always like to hire students because they know they won't be getting a long-time employee.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Job interviews are a joke, They know once you walk in the door if they want to hire a person for the job but they just say the usual stuff to make it look good and get your hopes up only to say "we will get back to you" then you wait and wait and NEVER hear anything.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
MacNut said:
Job interviews are a joke, They know once you walk in the door if they want to hire a person for the job but they just say the usual stuff to make it look good and get your hopes up only to say "we will get back to you" then you wait and wait and NEVER hear anything.

You got it nailed man.

opik

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2005
Cupertino, CA
i know how it feels..i tried that last summer with a similar situation of no luck but instead, i began my own business of repairing computers..pays pretty well.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
MacNut said:
Job interviews are a joke, They know once you walk in the door if they want to hire a person for the job...
I don't doubt that that happens sometimes. But overall, I'd disagree.

It's up to you to market yourself as a viable and desired candidate to fit their slot in their company.

And interviews even if they don't result in you getting hired, should always serve to teach you and lend you experience so that the next time you head into one, you'll be that much more prepared.

OP, from your thread title I thought you had been given the job outright, but then the offer was rescinded. That happened to me... I was hired at a Guess? store but the geniuses didn't bother to check my DOB and I was 16 at the time, they only wanted 18 and up. :rolleyes: They actually hired me, had me fill out all the paper work, and then realized two days later that I was too young.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
MacNut said:

Definitely doesn't happen all the time. Didn't happen to me at the hospital i just applied to and got a job at.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
thedude110 said:
Don't forget, too, that employers make mistakes in the hiring process. If they didn't hire you, their mistake!
good way of looking at it... their fault... its their problem they couldn't have you

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Opportunities come in waves. One moment, you can't find ANY work, and then the next moment, job offers are pouring through your door! :)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
steamboat26 said:
Same thing happened to me, i started applying for jobs in may, and now i get a response from best buy. So much for a summer job :(

Why not do what I am doing this school year. I am going to school 4 days a weeks (mon-thur) working at one hospital on friday - sunday and some other weekdays 6AM-9AM and then working at another hospital tuesday, friday-sunday nights

Work my work schedule around my classes

Or something of the sort there.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
puckhead193 said:
good way of looking at it... their fault... its their problem they couldn't have you

There are times you just have to believe in yourself. Of course, sometimes that's impossible, and usually we're all somewhere in between.

Looking for a job can be really trying -- it's a lot of work for a lot of negative feedback and it projects this false sense of permanency while also threatening your identity on the level of adequacy. You're forced to ask questions like "Why am I not getting a job? What's wrong with me/my resume? Am I that bad in interviews?" etc. Fact is there's probably nothing wrong with you or your resume and your interview probably went fine -- you just didn't have the small thing the employer was looking for (flexibility for hours, experience in a given area, the right alma mater, the most charisma -- whatever).

Most employers hire fairly -- trying to read what an employer wants, and trying to feed that to them in a cover letter and interview (assuming you'll take any job) -- that's much harder.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Eh. It's just the way it is. I've probably been on a couple dozen interviews and applied for hundreds (yes hundreds) of jobs over the past few years. But I'm trying to establish myself in the freelance market in LA so the ratio of applications-to-offers is insanely high.

The worst thing you can do is go into an interview and appear frustrated, demoralized or desperate.

Lethal

ejb190

macrumors 65816
MacNut said:

As someone who has done my share of interviews (from both sides of the table), there have been a few people I have rejected as soon as they walked in the door (lack of professional dress, bad attitude, language, smell of alcohol), but you have to do the full interview and sometimes (but not often) you are surprized by the person sitting across from you.

And very often that "we will get back with you" is an honest summary of the situation. Canadate 1 takes a week to think about it before saying no, so you ask Canadate 2 and so on down the line. Sorry you happen to be number 5 and number 4 said "yes". It is tough on employers too. They want to get the position filled.

And a lot of canadates "say the usual stuff to make it look good" too. Some people will say anything to get a job. Why does a certain very-short-tenured Notre Dame Football coach come to mind?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Interviews for jobs you don't get serve as good practice for bigger interviews for bigger jobs you won't get. ;)

Nah, they're good practice, and one day, when you've done the 1 on 1 interview, the 2 on 1 interview, and the group interview where there's like 10 people going for the same job and are being interviewed simultaneously, you'll have seen it all and will do a better job at these interviews.

CubaTBird said:
... get all psyched up, get the interview, go as far as a background check...

Maybe it's because of your dodgy, evil past? What did you do?

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Abstract said:
Interviews for jobs you don't get serve as good practice for bigger interviews for bigger jobs you won't get. ;)

Nah, they're good practice, and one day, when you've done the 1 on 1 interview, the 2 on 1 interview, and the group interview where there's like 10 people going for the same job and are being interviewed simultaneously, you'll have seen it all and will do a better job at these interviews.

Maybe it's because of your dodgy, evil past? What did you do?

NOTHING! I even opted to get the printed copy sent back to me, I got a clean record. I got nothing! I don't understand...:( :(

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Onizuka said:
When I was hired it took a month to actually start me...
Hell, I once got a job where it took them seven months to start me. Had to get all the paperwork approved, they said. (I shoulda took that as a harbinger of things to come right there.
yeahright.gif
)

Cuba, in my experience they are looking half at your experience and half at your attitude. The former takes time, but the latter is something you can do something about immediately. :)

Not suggesting you have a bad one, just that that can be the difference-maker between you and somebody else. And yeah, it's a cruddy job market anyway. You have to claw even for some of the crummy jobs. Just keep reminding yourself of what they keep telling us: the economy is recovering, and the job market is actually quite good. :rolleyes:

tektonnic

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Bucks, UK

For the second time this week I'm mentioning my real job, I'm a recruitment consultant, and what you say is perhaps true for 2% of job interviews, its difficult to remember but an interviewer is not a super magical human being who want to upset people, they want the right person for thier role, they don't go around lifting hopes for no reason. Although, sometimes they know who they want but do have to interview other people just so it looks fair to their boss - which is crap.

Job interviews are a joke, ...

I read that the first time think Steve Jobs' Interviews are a joke, ...thinking he was doing Apple store interviews, DoH!

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
CubaTBird said:
This sucks.. This really sucks.... All summer I have been looking for a job, I would go to job interviews (a total of 4) and after all of them I left with the handshake and the "thanks for your time" catchphrase. Then my local apple store calls and I get all psyched up, get the interview, go as far as a background check.. And then get an email saying "thank you for your time".

Man.. this summer.... :mad: :mad: It's like you try and try, and you can't get what you want. :mad:

Things can only get better, I hope... :( :( :mad: :(

~sigh~

Uni starts on monday, maybe that'll change things up a bit..

Just try to stay positive. You'll get a job you really like, and you'll be so glad you didn't get those other jobs. Also, take it all in stride...you aren't looking for your career....just a PT job.

When you get to college, get a job on campus. Colleges always have tons of jobs for students that are really, really flexible because, well, they know you are a student. Plus, you can do just about anything if you go to a larger campus. At my college, students could work PT with anything from landscaping to food service to parking services to pencil pushing for a department. Not the most fun jobs, but very convenient because you won't have to drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.