"You're not connected to the internet" message after waking from sleep, help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by baryon, Aug 15, 2011.

1. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

For the past 3 days only, when I wake my computer, sometimes I will get this dialog:

Screen Shot 2011-08-15 at 9.28 AM.png

The message isn't lying: It's true that for a few seconds after waking the computer, there is no internet connection, it's totally normal, and it connects within 2-3 seconds.

What I find very strange is that the message has an iChat icon. What the hell? I don't even use iChat, and it's NOT running (at least not in my dock).

I did try iChat 3 days ago, to see what it's like, but I quit it and never opened it again. Could it be still running somewhere? Is there a process that's related to iChat that could be causing this?

I just find it very annoying, since the internet connection comes back after a few seconds, so it's totally pointless to notify me about it. By the time the lid is completely open, I'm online.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Open Activity Monitor, check for any process that says iChat or anything related.

3. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Somehow I don't suspect Lion to be the culprit. I am getting this with my MacBook Air and I don't have Lion installed, but I think some of the updates that I used did this.

WW

4. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

I can't find anything iChat related in the Activity Monitor... Does anyone know any processes related to iChat but don't have the word "iChat" in them?

One thing I can say almost for sure is that this message only started popping up after I opened iChat for the first time since I installed Lion. I never ever opened iChat since, and I have rebooted many times, unchecking "Reopen Windows", yet I still sometimes get the stupid message when opening my laptop.

I'd still appreciate anyone's help, it's getting really annoying! Thanks!

5. Oldandintheway macrumors member

I'm getting this frequently with my 2011 MBA but never got it with my 2010 MBA. It has to find my network and then I have to select it. It doesn't do it every time but it does it many times. My 2007 MBP and white MacBook do not have this problem only the MBA with Lion.

6. baryon thread starter macrumors 68040

baryon

Is your MBA the only computer running Lion?

I tried restoring an earlier .plist file for iChat with TimeMachine, from before I ever opened iChat. So far I haven't had the message appear, but I need to give it more time to be sure.

The .plist is located at Home>Library>Preferences>com.apple.iChat.plist

7. jadea3 macrumors newbie

Seeing the same thing here with Lion freshly installed on my MBP. I opened iChat yesterday out of curiosity and have quit out of it, but I get that g-d error everytime I wake from sleep.

There is no process running with the word iChat in it, either.

8. morphos2 macrumors newbie

My MBP does the same!!!

My :apple:MBP with :apple:Lion does the same.
    Could it be that someone is trying to access my webcam while my MBP is at sleep?

:cool: "Conspiracy Theory", I mean...