YouTube App for iOS Gains HDR Support for iPhone XS and XS Max

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

YouTube this week introduced an update to its iOS app, quietly adding HDR support on the new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models, as pointed out on Reddit.

Both the iPhone XS and XS Max, like the iPhone X, feature "Super Retina" HDR displays that support HDR videos. HDR videos offer up a broader range of colors and luminance compared to non-HDR content.

[​IMG]

When watching HDR videos on YouTube, to ensure you're watching at the highest possible quality, you can tap on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then select the "Quality" option. HDR listings will only be available on devices that support HDR, and the highest available quality on the iPhone XS and XS Max is 1080p60 HDR.

Apple added HDR support for the iPhone X back in May, but the feature was not originally working with the iPhone XS and XS Max until the latest update.

Article Link: YouTube App for iOS Gains HDR Support for iPhone XS and XS Max

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I wonder if they've fixed audio sync issues with Bluetooth headsets yet.

YouTube is the only app where I have a/v sync issues when using my Bose headset. Everything else is perfectly synced. They're obviously doing something different to play video than other apps.

3. Danbrown521 macrumors regular

Does anyone have any links to these HDR videos?

4. willdude macrumors regular

Oh wow. This is my first time seeing HDR content outside of a movie theater or big box showroom, and I'm amazed how good this looks. (Now I'm side-eyeing my 1080p plasma TV.)

5. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Just go to The HDR Channel for starters. There's a hundred or so vids.

6. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 68000

Statusnone88

The new Apple TV already supports HDR. Currently watching an HDR movie on my 4K Apple TV as I post this.

8. shurcooL, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Did you mean “YouTube added ...”? Or “Google added ...”?

(The YouTube app is made by Google, not Apple.)

9. adamjackson macrumors 68000

Can HVEC and VP9 work their **** out so YouTube for iOS / AppleTV can properly play 4K video?

10. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

This one is pretty good just be sure to crank up the brightness to get the full effect.

11. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

The app has ads. Anyone use the desktop site with the xs max and still get the option?

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That probably ain't never gonna happen cuz I'm pretty sure Google ain't gonna pay licensing fees for H.265. Won't matter soon enough though (fingers crossed). Apple joined AOMedia so they're probably gonna rock the AV1 codec... making the HEVC/VP9 codec bruhaha a thing of the past.

13. M33-1 macrumors regular

M33-1

The sunset at 2:03 is pretty cool in hdr. Like being there.

14. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Ok, now give me HDR for the iPad Pro. It supports it.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

They are not all real HDR though. Unfortunately people set a lot tags on their videos to flag HDR, but it's not real.

Not via the YouTube App you're not. Are you saying they updated the YouTube tvOS App to support 4K HDR?

16. midkay macrumors regular

Just tried it. Looks amazing. Wish all my screens looked this good :p

17. MadDawg2020 macrumors regular

Great Finally all 5 YouTube videos created with HDR can now finally be seen in its full glory!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    There are currently no consumer level devices that can create true HDR video- you need prosumer or pro level cameras for that! And even then - most actual HDR content is provided by major film studios, and not for free on YouTube. It is unlikely the average person could ever detect the difference anyways - especially on a 6” screen!

18. 69Mustang, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Most don't care. As long as they have access to it, whether it's real HDR, unreal HDR, or HDR Super Retina A12 3D Touch, it's the access that matters. I could count on one hand the number of people who know the full HDR specs, what they mean, and who complies with them. After counting, I'd still have all 5 fingers of that hand to use for counting.;)

I am almost 100% sure @Statusnone88 means he's watching an HDR movie on the ATV4K and not watching a movie in the YouTube app.

19. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

I always thought h.264/5 were open standards. Didn’t realize they were licensed!

20. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Wow I should get an ultran4k tv. It’s amazing.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Not only licensed, but heavily licensed and in a convoluted manner. The 3 different groups seeking licenses shot themselves in the foot with greed that exceeded the desirability of what they had to offer.

22. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing that. My daughter and I were glued!

23. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Wow! I know. Just hard to justify a tv when I hardly watch it. I use the phone and MacBook more often.

24. genovelle macrumors 6502a

I think it was just more than companies that have an unsustainable freemium model doesn’t sell things for profit wanted to pay.