YouTube App on Apple TV Updated Following User Complaints Over Subscriptions Layout and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It's been just over two weeks since YouTube updated its Apple TV app with a major redesign, essentially bringing the app in line with YouTube on other products like Android TV, smart TVs, PS4, and Xbox One. While the original YouTube Apple TV app was never widely favored, the new update was met with even more blowback from some users, who referenced laggy controls, poorer playback UI, illogical changes to the subscription tab's channel list, and more.

[​IMG]

This week, YouTube pushed out version 1.01.04 of the app for Apple TV 4th and 5th generation devices, and it addresses a few of these user concerns. The major update is a "modified" subscriptions tab that nixes the long horizontal list of subscribed YouTube channels -- which made it take much longer to get to channels at the bottom of the alphabetized list -- and reverts back to a grid layout akin to the original app. YouTube said this was done for "easier channel selection."

Although it's not mentioned in the update notes, one user on Reddit said that there have also been a few tweaks to video scrubbing, so users can "go through the video with the touchpad again instead of slowly rewinding/fast forwarding." When doing this, thumbnail previews of the video pop up to give you an idea of where to land as you jump through the video, but YouTube still doesn't use Apple's systemwide playback UI and there isn't any support for quick 10-second jumps forward and backward.

[​IMG]

Otherwise, YouTube said that the update fixed an issue with the search keyboard when people were using "non-Siri TV remotes," and it includes the usual bug fixes and stability improvements.

Article Link: YouTube App on Apple TV Updated Following User Complaints Over Subscriptions Layout and More

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Just change the playback layout to the way it was before and I'll be happy. I'm fine with the layout on the menus.

3. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

Every tech company like youtube snapchat keep ruining there apps its like they wanna annoy people

4. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why does YouTube insist on using its own player code rather than the excellent built in video player API? That's my only complaint about the new app. Apple's API works well and is consistent across all of TVOS. There's no reason not to use it.

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Is there anywhere to download an IPA of the previous version and manually install from iTunes? This update has been a dumpster fire

6. Wackery macrumors 6502a

why? to give an inferior experience so they can say it’s so much better on an android device

7. leesweet macrumors 65816

leesweet

You always wonder WTF testing went on for these UIs... an account with ten subscriptions?

First time I tried the previous arrangement, I just turned it off...

8. nimbusthegreat macrumors member

nimbusthegreat

youtube's new app on the apple tv is a garbage fire. the old one wasn't great but at least it felt like an apple product as opposed to this new abomination. whoever made this decision should be fired and never work in tech again. are you listening youtube?

9. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Thank God. This new YouTube app is a total disaster. I don't understand why the felt like replacing the existing app. It was great, but it isn't great anymore. These fixes improve the experience a bit, but it's nowhere near what it's supposed to be.

10. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

It is so butt ugly. What design language is that even supposed to follow?

Looks like something from the old Nokia Symbian days

11. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

Who thought this was a good idea. I am so happy that it was changed back. I will give it a try later. Hopefully the sluggishness/clunkiness was fixed too.

I have barely used YouTube since the change, it was so annoying using the app, I couldn't use it for more than a few videos at a time.

The tvOS app was way too basic and barebones, and while the updated app added some basic features that was needed (imo), the UI was horrible.

I actually prefer the ATV3 YouTube app, as it is so simple to use, while having many of the features that are on the new tvOS version, but was missing from the original tvOS version.

I wish YouTube would use the ATV3 version of the app, and build off of that for adding new features.

12. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It still feels like absolute ****.

The real issue isn't the layout or feature set. It's the fact they appeared to have replaced the old native app by a web view that performs poorly, and where touch inputs are inaccurate.

The whole app is choppy rather than the smooth 60fps we're used to. Touch inputs don't feel native, you constantly skip over the elements you want to select while navigating. Navigating the app is unpredictable, you don't know how it'll respond to your input, and the animations don't always have the same speed for some reason. It's like the app can't keep a steady framerate, and animation length are based on the number of frames drawn rather than duration in seconds.

It's a super frustrating experience all around. Hoping a dev can make a native 3rd-party app. I don't care if it's really basic feature wise, I just can't stand this kind of poor input quality and UI performance.

13. justiny Contributor

justiny

Glad it wasn’t just me. This update made me want to throw a random puppy at my television screen.

Here’s hoping the newest update is better... But probably not.

14. superduperultra macrumors regular

Great, just take random jackass from reddit and put it in the news.

1. Thumbnail preview scrubbing was available before this update.
    2. You can jump 10 seconds back and forth with the timeline selected using standard gestures.

How about some fact checking?

Yes the app still sucks.

15. Rheinlaender macrumors newbie

...still missing automatic framerate switching. This is the major feature that came with tvOS 11.25 for the ATV 4K and worked brilliantly with the previous version of the YT app.

What a bummer!

16. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

That's definitely not my ONLY complaint with the app, but it is my biggest one. Along with the slightly larger thumbnails for videos, which make it harder to see a lot of videos at a glance on my home/recommended pages.

17. Xavier macrumors 68030

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It’s the PlayStation 4 YouTube app, copied wholesale.
    It’s attrocious. The previous app was a UI mess too, but this is even worse.

19. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

What I want is the option to choose whether to auto play when I go into my playlist. It used to be nice that it showed a list and started with the item I chose. Now it auto starts (usually with an ad) before I can select another item in the playlist. And sometimes it doesn’t even show the playlist but only suggested lists. Hate that.

20. EatinPonies macrumors member

I really appreciate the UI changes!

Why? Because they remind about the not-so-long-ago-past when I used Android phones, with Google's atrocious reasoning for changes and removing/stripping features on a whim... When I find myself entertaining a change back to Android, I try to think about those times where I had to reboot just to take a photo, or install a previous version of an app to get features back that I relied on, or wait until the modding community delivered the features that Google ignores we all want.

lol @ all the people griping about this single app. Go use a Nexus / Pixel device for a couple years! You'll experience the joys of this single app on a much broader scale.

21. PoppaKap macrumors regular

At least fix the playback controls-fast forward and rewind. It shouldn't be hard.

22. Muzzakus macrumors regular

Still clunky and unfriendly to navigate. The Apple TV remote is unique being specifically designed with inertia in mind. This app ignores the whole concept treating it as a generic d-pad controller. It feels unresponsive and strange, and totally out of place on an AppleTV. Apple should not certif apps that cannot follow basic principles off the platform.

23. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I think we will all look back on it as a big mistake that Apple did not put more restrictions on the design of video-centric apps. They should have to use standard playback methods and UI elements—and Apple should have continued adding new UI element options such as, for example, DVR menu functionality. It's quickly becoming a bigger mess every day and the fact that they even allowed apps like Amazon special access to UIWebView on the Apple TV makes me think that they really just don't give a crap any more.

24. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

The app still behaves horribly with the touchpad on the remote and features we had before like automatic frame rate switching and dynamic range switching it still gone...

I would like to remind everyone;

The best way to provide feedback would be to go through the official channels;

You can give feedback directly to Google/YouTube; https://www.youtube.com/tv_feedback And you can also give feedback directly to Apple; https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

And it doesn't hurt to give everyone a tweet as well;

@teamyoutube @youtube @google @Apple

There is also a thread over at the Google forums for feedback; https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/O_QjzLHptbc

25. Altis macrumors 68030

Absolutely.

I ended up deleting all the apps and just using the browser versions of YouTube and Facebook. Better experience IMO.

They're just changing the apps to lock users down the path they want them to be on.