Youtube/Jasmine running in background on iOS 6.1?!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by insovietrussia, Jan 30, 2013.

1. insovietrussia, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

insovietrussia macrumors newbie

Dear Readers!

After having faced severe battery and reception issues I decided to get my concerns fixed with the latest update.
    So far soo good - battery life has been tremendous and the whole system seems to run more fluid and less laggy.

Whereas most of things got fixed other new issues came up :( :confused:
    I used to listen to music on Jasmine (switched it on, then closed the app and continued listening via double-tapping the home button)

Anybody knows how to listen to Youtube without being forced to watch the video (what counts to me is browsing the web or writing messages while my favorite tunes are on).

Remember: in Soviet Russia music listens to you!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Might have to do with Google not allowing this 'feature' anymore. Certain YouTube apps can still do it but will probably be updated, and ability to listen will be goner.

3. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Solution:

1. Download Google Chrome browser
    2. Navigate to m.youtube.com
    3. Background Chrome and double tap to continue playback

4. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Nope. Doesn't work. It appears that they have disabled the ability to listen to background audio from any video playback.

5. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

I have noticed this as well! I made a youtube video on it! (be sure not to watch it in the background lol)

Is it just youtube? What other video sites can we test to see if its just youtube!?

Google only recently added this ability as a feature to Chrome so WTF... :-/

UPDATE: Ok break.com doesn't play in bg either! It's an iOS bug! Brilliant :-(

6. C DM, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems like the ability for background audio (from videos) was removed from Safari as part of iOS 6.1 upgrade. Not sure if this affects other browsers (like Chrome) or apps (like McTube). Also, not sure if this just applies to audio from videos playing in the background or even simple audio sources, like a podcast playing on a web page or something like that.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not true. I listened to streaming music on safari for four hours today. And yes. Safari was in the background .

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, that's part of what I was actually asking--not being sure if it just applied to videos (and audio playing back from those videos while the browser/app was in the background), or even audio in general (like streaming music, podcasts, radio station feeds, etc.).

9. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

It seems to affect video playback in any app.

10. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Wow this is terrible. So much for me updating to 6.1 now. What the hell is going on at Apple lately? Are they on a mission to slowly ruin every good part of iOS?

11. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Yep, just tried it myself with a different video file.

Video playback in the background is broken. Unfortunately the way Apple works, we won't be seeing a fix in 4 months or so.

12. DirtyDanPwns macrumors newbie

Alright everybody listen up If you want to hear youtube videos in background audio this is what you need to do 1st double click home button while YouTube video is playing 2nd hit the sleep button then the sleep or home button then the sleep button again and that's it problem solved sorry if you can't understand my instructions.

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Its not broken, they took it off

14. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Does this work in iOS 6.1?

15. mattoligy, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

MCTube still works in the background fine! So it's more likely that apple disabled this feature than it being a bug! Dont expect a fix, what apple say go's, and we all know how stupid and pig headed they are! Then again Chrome worked and now it doesn't :-/

Thanks Apple, nice one...

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

EDIT: Chances are they will also refuse app updates that re enable video backgrounding! Who knows...

EDIT2: If MCTube can do it then the official App should! To be honest Google are as to blame as Apple, google apps are just a complete joke! Go and download MCTube and just behold the feature set and tell me that the official app comes anywhere close!? And google only had like nearly five months or more as well... It must be a lack of funds... Oh wait, there one of the richest companies in the world... Ok Google, guess what...

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Scareeeeeeeeew You

16. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Question to op: so you can no longer double tap home to listen to Jasmine in the background??

17. mattoligy, Jan 31, 2013

mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

I can confirm that! All apps (Including Jasmine) are broken! The only app that is still working so far is MCTube

EDIT: Let's just hope Google at least (and can) fix this in Chrome and then we can just write Safari off...
    When the Jb is released in three days we can use a tweak to change Chrome to the default browser!

18. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Well that settles it then. Google forced Jasmine (and other apps) to use a specific API to stream audio, and then slyly went right to Apple and made them disable this API completely... What a dick move.

I'm certainly not going to do them any favors by making their browser my default, a browser which logs any key press in the address bar and sends them Google's servers to be stored indefinitely.

19. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

Who knows, its all speculation at this point! Why would google do that just a few weeks after they update Chrome specifically with this feature... It just doesnt make sense! Also, its not just Youtube thats broken, go to a site like break.com and you will see that video backgrounding is broken there also!

It is definatly down to Apple Not Google! More than likely they have decided playing audio from a video in the background is a drain on resources etc and have disabled it, but then that doesn't explain why MCTube still works...
    It's doing my head in...

20. insovietrussia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yo folks!

Thanks a lot for your input. McTube is working flawlessly.

As far as AAPL are concerned... If they don't step up the game they're doomed. Pity to see them going down the drain recently.

21. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Glad I spotted this thread before I bothered to update. No 6.1 for me.

22. mattoligy, Jan 31, 2013

mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

When the upcoming Jb is released there will be more options...

1) Redsn0w will more than likely be updated with downgrade support for all devices (A4|A5|A6) [With blobs]

2) Cydia tweaks will more than likely emerge to fix the broken video backgrounding... Promoted as a new feature!

And on top of that, there is obviously still an API that works for this functionality as the dev of MCTube is using it! Developers including Google need to use that same API...

----------

You know on second thought i have a strong feeling i know what has caused this, it is probably that the API for this functionality has been updated and any apps using the API such as Chrome and Jasmine will need to update their apps to fix the problem! It doesn't explain why Safari is broken as that should be running the updated APIs, but you never know with apple...

EDIT: However this would suggest i am wrong https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ipad/#releasenotes/General/iOS61APIDiffs/

UIKit and Mapkit are all that have been changed...
    [​IMG]

23. martinrioso macrumors newbie

thank you very much. i didnt find mctube until i saw this topic. awesome app

24. RenoG macrumors 65816

Its the best youtyube app..The only one worth using..

25. Skika macrumors 68030

If it means anything, AirVideo can still play audio in the background while "playing" a video.