YouTube Links Opening YouTube App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kwjohns, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Now that YouTube has released a much improved mobile site, it sure would be nice if YouTube links stopped opening the built in app with the terrible 3G video quality rather than the mobile site in Safari.

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Settings>>general>>restrictions>>disable youtube app.

Do not forget your passcode though :D

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

done, just wish they would update the video quality on the app rather than the link app. I don't get why they don't?

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I see all the iBooks updates lately and keep yearning for the day they can update all their apps like that.

5. bluer101 macrumors regular

Thank you, worked like a charm!:D

6. dranakin macrumors 6502

Thanks. So, this forces all YouTube links to be opened over the webapp now?

7. Lostsol macrumors regular

Works perfect. I've been trying to figure out a way around that crappy app for weeks. You, sir, are awesome. Now the videos load a thousand times faster and you have the HQ option to choose. Thanks !!

8. JustinSaneV2 macrumors 6502

JustinSaneV2

Why waste the time/money on fixing an app on one platform when they could issue out a web app that is compatible with multiple platforms?

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

This "fix" sounds great, but it doesn't work. For example, open up the full version of the Macrumors full site with no restrictions and scroll down 3/4 of the page where you will see valid YouTube links. Now enable the restrictions and refresh the page and these YouTube links are now disabled.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Your welcome people!! To the last poster I just disabled the YouTube app and it doesn't affect opening YouTube links at all for me they just open in the mobile site now!

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Did you try the example I gave? It doesn't affect hyperlinks but it does affect embedded videos.

12. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

This is what I experienced as well, am I doing this wrong?

I also clicked the one link in the text that wasn't disabled and while it took me to the youtube site it would not load the video.

13. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I thought I read somewhere that they were originally supposed to play embedded like the iPad.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Hmmm yeah it doesn't work line you said. I suppose it ok for some videos but not for others.
    Apple need to update the YouTube app and maybe integrate an option to use the mobile site as prefered.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

I think if the YouTube videos use Flash features (ads, annotations, etc) it forces the video to go to the app. If the video doesn't require Flash, then YouTube is now defaulting to the HTML 5 player, which should play in-page on iOS.

16. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Could just be bad luck on the videos I have tried this on but every video does not play smoothly and I am on a wifi connection ATM 1000k down 600k up... Might be a weird fluke... Will have to try it over 3g when I leave in a bit.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, all 2 of them (for the iPhone at least). And both have been a waste of an update. iBooks still doesn't offer the basic reading environment that the Kindle App or Stanza give. I've come to expect this of native Apple apps.

18. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

It probably has something to do with the coding the App which can only be changed by Apple.

19. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

I thought the youtube "app" was made by Apple and therefore their responsibility to update it?

20. dranakin macrumors 6502

Hmmmm...I just tried opening a YouTube link in my RSS reader, and it opens it in the (crappy) YouTube app, even with the restriction. Can someone post a link of an example where clicking a YouTube video will open in the mobile app for sure?

21. tariqi macrumors newbie

Just curious, what more do you want from the iBooks app?

22. Lostsol macrumors regular

You're right about embedded videos. I guess for now I'll leave the restriction on and if I need to open an embedded video, I'll disable the restriction . Will be a little more work but I seem to click on links most of the time.

23. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

one of the many reasons I can't wait to JB...want to delete this ****** app

24. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Apple needs to just update the app....in the mean time, I will be using the mobile site