Youtube Options in 2016?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RamCpu, Aug 2, 2016.

1. RamCpu macrumors member

since youview and mactubes don't work anymore is there any other viable options for making youtube run? so far all I've found to work well is loading it in a tenfourfoxbox

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

3. Dronecatcher, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

For Tiger:

TenFourKit - plays Flash ok use this Flash Hack:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/flash-v21-0-0-216.1967041/

TenFourFox plus Greasemonkey/Viewtube/Coreplayer
    You can use any videoplayer instead of Coreplayer but that's the most efficient.
    I've done a guide here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/integrate-coreplayer-with-tenfourfox.1970281/

and a video of it performing here:

Omniweb with a mobile phone user agent.
    I've done a guide here, go to post 12 as Youtube has broke the previous methods:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/realplayer-vs-quicktime.1980864/

For Leopard

Use any of the above or:

Leopard Webkit playing Flash (use the hack)

Leopard Webkit plus ClickToPlugin

Leopard Webkit plus NinjaKit/Viewtube.
    This is the same method as the TFF/Greasemonkey/Viewtube solution but instead using the Safari extension from here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ninjakit-safari-extension.2030842/

I've found this to be the best solution of them all, as you have every video format available which you can play in browser or download and play later.

All the suggestions for Tiger I've used successfully on a 1.33Ghz iBook and Powerbook, the Leopard ones on a 1.67Ghz Powerbook.

Higher machines wont have any problems - my G5 Quad happily plays Youtube with Flash at 1080P.

4. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

That is.....incredibly impressive. Coreplayer has no equal.

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

My only gripe with Coreplayer is it's interface, which is very much of it's time but after having the luxury of VLC playback floating as a window with no buttons, bars or borders, it really does shout 2005 in your face....unless of course you go full screen, which is actually more efficient anyway.

6. RamCpu thread starter macrumors member

I did the same things for webkit and tenfourfox and got webkit working , and it runs great and conveniently then clicktoflash, but for tenfourfox I get this : [​IMG]

while webkit looks like this: [​IMG]

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Unfortunately TFF will not allow plugins, so the video can't be streamed, however if you click get instead of play, a dialogue will appear asking whether you want to save the file or open it, clicking open will open the video as soon as it's been downloaded.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nothing but the ancient Flash seems to work for YouTube livestreams. This is what I get using the HTML5 player in the latest TenFourFox 45 beta:
    Picture 1.png

And this is what I get using PPC Media Center or Quicktime Enabler:
    Picture 2.png
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2016 ---
    Has anyone had success with CorePlayer? Have not tried it yet.

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I don't know whether HTML5 worked for live streams previously as I didn't try it.
    A work around to avoid using Flash in your main browser is Realplayer - it has it's own mini browser that uses Flash and plays live streams well - 55-60% CPU with no stuttering for 360P on my 2.1 G5 iMac.
    I will add that Realplayer was supported for streaming playback on PPC long after Quicktime had been abandoned.

10. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

I tried to get the NinjaKit extension for Safari, but the download link appears to be dead. Does anyone have a copy of this extension still? This seems to be the best solution and I would love to give it a try.

Dustin