Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transamman1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
so i'm fairly disappointed with iPhone's YouTube app. EVERY SINGLE video that i have a bookmark for is unplayable, i search for all kinds of videos on my iPhone and get no results, yet i get hundreds searching on my MacBook.

why would Apple bother incorporating YouTube when it seems like MAYBE 2% or less of YouTube's videos are playable???
i know there are millions and millions of vids, but you'd think Apple would have either made the iPhone flash capable, or would've left it out until at least 10-25%+ of YouTube's videos were converted.

anyone know if they're actually working on getting more vids converted?
is there a special file type that i should convert my videos in before uploading them to YouTube that will make them viewable on my iPhone??

ps: i love the heck outta this phone, just wish i could view and show people my favorite vids wherever i am.

joelk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
so i'm fairly disappointed with iPhone's YouTube app. EVERY SINGLE video that i have a bookmark for is unplayable, i search for all kinds of videos on my iPhone and get no results, yet i get hundreds searching on my MacBook.

why would Apple bother incorporating YouTube when it seems like MAYBE 2% or less of YouTube's videos are playable???
i know there are millions and millions of vids, but you'd think Apple would have either made the iPhone flash capable, or would've left it out until at least 10-25%+ of YouTube's videos were converted.

is there a special file type that i should convert my videos in before uploading them to YouTube that will make them viewable on my iPhone??

ps: i love the heck outta this phone, just wish i could view and show people my favorite vids wherever i am.

yes they are converting them all ... should be done in a few months iirc.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas

The iPhone's YouTube widget only runs x.264 encoded videos (to save on battery consumption). YouTube is currently converting all their library to this standard, and that conversion will be completed sometime this Fall. I'm sure this is happening, since this "more modern" file video type is optimized better for streaming.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
As stated by Apple, the catalog is being converted as we speak. By fall the entire catalog should be converted to H.264

transamman1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
that sounds good.

so is there any way that i can upload a video in H.264? i dont remember there being an option the last time i loaded vids to YouTube.

but if i could upload vids in H.264 format, i could just download my favorite vids, convert them myself and reload them to YouTube. is this possible?

Thanks for your responses!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I would guess all new uploads would be automatically be converted to h.264 but I haven't tested this out.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.