Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular YouTube singer-songwriter Jonathan Mann has uploaded a humorous Apple-related tune that is currently doing the rounds on social media and tech blogs.

Mann originally rose to prominence among Apple watchers for catching the eye of Steve Jobs, who opened his iPhone 4 press conference by playing to the audience Mann's 2010 "iPhone Antenna Song", which criticized parts of the media for its "Antennagate" fixation. But it's unlikely Mann's latest song will receive a similar reception in Cupertino.

Screen-Shot-11-800x321.jpg

Titled "I Am Pressing the Spacebar and Nothing is Happening", Mann's new song centers on the singer's hatred for the "butterfly" keyboard on his MacBook Pro.

Apple introduced a revamped butterfly-mechanism keyboard on its first-generation 12-inch MacBook, and later on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro, which featured flatter keys built using a second-generation butterfly mechanism. However, a significant number of customers have run into issues with both versions, the most common being sticking keys - the theme of Mann's latest song.

In the music video, Mann's chorus sees him persistently pressing the space bar of his 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro, frustrated that it no longer works.

He refers to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide to express how long he waited to upgrade, and that his "very expensive" MacBook Pro is only about a year old, and yet here he is, victim to an unresponsive spacebar.

Mann laments that Apple has informed him that his machine will need "extensive surgery for a speck of dust lodged beneath the butterfly" mechanism - referencing Casey Johnston's article in The Outline about a piece of dust breaking her MacBook Pro.

Mann's solo continues by explaining that Apple's arguably awkward-to-follow keyboard-cleaning instructions didn't work for him, leaving him feeling like an idiot.

If you don't fancy listening to this potential earworm, the full lyrics to the song can be found below.
I'm pressing the space bar / I'm pressing the space bar / I'm pressing the space bar / I'm pressing the space bar / And nothing is happening / This computer is about a year old / And it was very expensive / I had been waiting to upgrade / For a long time / And now you're telling me / It would need extensive / Surgery for a speck of dust / Lodged beneath the butterfly / I found your instructions / They were not helpful / I bought this can of air / I feel like an idiot

Article Link: YouTube Singer Follows Up 'iPhone Antenna Song' With Sticky MacBook Keyboard Tune

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I just listened to his iphone x recap song lol.

Now u got me looking through his other videos...
Thanks, now my evening will be gone in no time lol!

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Lesson - Don't be smug about other people's problems.

Jonathan Mann 7 years ago:

"If you don't want an iPhone 4
Don't buy it
If you bought one and you don't like it
Bring it back"

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Holy smokes, I forgot about this dude. Brings back memories of the iPhone 4. Man, those were the good days back when the iPhone was exciting and MacRumors was buzzing with Antennagate.

If only Steve Jobs was still here to hold a conference and tell users they're 'pressing it wrong' but offer a free spacebar replacement program with this tune playing in the background :p

Edit: this article just got me to watching the Antennagate conference. If anyone's got time on their hands:

Makes you admire how much passion Jobs had with his products and his brand.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009
Isn't dust a fairly typical issue for computer keyboards though? I've had that issue with non-butterfly desktop keyboards before.

Reactions: YaBe

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
I've also been waiting to upgrade for a long time and have been in a holding pattern for almost a year. All products have their quirks and issues, but for the money they charge and the relatively useless "innovations" coming out of the pipeline in the last several years, I just can't find the justification to plunk down the cash.

Have at me fanboys.

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
FWIW, I'm running 2 MBPs at least 5 years old and I've NEVER had this problem.

Gotta second you on this....been using computers since the 80's, never had it happen. Sounds like a design issue that needs to be fixed to account for the dust in the environment that the laptops can get exposed to. Guessing Apple is on it at this point - especially since most of their Mac sales are for these laptops.

Do the new standalone keyboards for iMacs etc. use the butterfly mech as well?

Reactions: bernuli

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I've also been waiting to upgrade for a long time and have been in a holding pattern for almost a year. All products have their quirks and issues, but for the money they charge and the relatively useless "innovations" coming out of the pipeline in the last several years, I just can't find the courage to plunk down the cash.

Have at me fanboys.
That's the idea though - Apple want you to have courage because they've shown the world they've got the courage :p

Tthe problem is limited to the 2016 onwards MBPs and 12" MacBooks with the new butterfly keyboards. I've got a 2011 MBP and the keyboards still work as new, just like you. I tried out the new keyboards instore and couldn't' get used to it with the shallow key travel.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009

I've experienced dust issues with older iMac keyboards (flat key design) as well as the original Mighty Mouse design with the miniature trackball. Also, it's pretty typical to have dust buildup on the bottom of mice, although that rarely has an effect on function. It could also happen with non-dust stuff like tiny food particles on your hands etc. It's not that difficult for keyboards to get dirty. Easier to notice on the white key iMac boards though.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Your 2 MBP's fall outside of the issue so I imagine you haven't had this problem. Your anecdote doesn't provide a counter to the claims of sticky 2016 and 2017 butterfly keyboards. If anything, it's anecdotal evidence that the previous keys provide superior reliability.
Apple introduced a revamped butterfly-mechanism keyboard on its first-generation 12-inch MacBook, and later on the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro, which featured flatter keys built using a second-generation butterfly mechanism. However, a significant number of customers have run into issues with both versions, the most common being sticking keys - the theme of Mann's latest song

Reactions: CarlJ and RevTEG

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I never experienced technical issues with the buttery keyboard but I can say this, I bought the gen one butterfly keyboard and hated it. I tried my best to adjust but after several months, I sold it. Tried the gen two butterfly keyboard on the current MacBooks and hated them too. Sold it. Three days ago I bought a like new 2015 MacBook Pro as my “new” laptop. All that just because of a keyboard.

I will say this though, my wife loves the butterfly keyboard. Neither of us experienced technical issues though.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
Edit: this article just got me to watching the Antennagate conference. If anyone's got time on their hands:

Makes you admire how much passion Jobs had with his products and his brand.

That conference was so uncandid and embarrassing for Apple. The media at that time clearly overstated the real-life impact of the iPhone 4’s antenna design flaw but it would have been enough to simply address it as that and offer the free bumpers. Instead Jobs went for his typical diversion, the pathetic attempt to point fingers at competitors and the release of an iOS update to delay the display of signal degradation (shamelessly calling it fixing a bug just a few minutes after explaining to us that competitors’ algorithms delay the display while the signal is already down...).
Maybe one could attribute it to passion but what I saw was the incapablity to deal with criticism.

Funny side note: He announces that the already delayed white iPhone 4 would start shipping by the end of the month (July 2010) - which it didn’t until another nine (!) months later.

thequietaussie

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2016
Your 2 MBP's fall outside of the issue so I imagine you haven't had this problem. Your anecdote doesn't provide a counter to the claims of sticky 2016 and 2017 butterfly keyboards. If anything, it's anecdotal evidence that the previous keys provide superior reliability.

I don't think he's trying to counter claims about the butterfly keyboards, but rather, counter the other poster's assertion that this is a generic keyboard problem, not specific to Apple's butterfly switches.

Reactions: 69Mustang

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Interesting. I didn’t know this was a widespread problem.....I’m going to buy a new MBP next week, so now I’m also looking at keyboard clear skin covers (there’s one with excellent reviews on Amazon by UPPERCASE).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.