Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the launch of a new "4K Plus" plan for YouTube TV subscribers, which will allow for streaming in 4K on a compatible TV and set-top box.

youtube-tv-4k.jpg

Along with 4K streaming, the 4K Plus option includes an option to download shows for watching offline and unlimited streaming when connected to home WiFi.

4K Plus is priced at an additional $19.99 per month on top of the standard YouTube TV streaming price, which starts at $65. That means subscribers can expect to pay $85 per month to watch YouTube TV in 4K, though Google is offering a promotion.

New users can get a one-month free trial and then will pay $9.99 per month for a year, after which the price will increase to $19.99 per month.

For all YouTube TV subscribers, Google is adding 5.1 Dolby audio capabilities, which will start rolling out to select devices "in the coming weeks." YouTube TV 4K Plus is available for customers starting today, with the feature accessible under membership settings on any browser.

Article Link: YouTube TV Gains Support for 4K Streaming and 5.1 Surround Sound

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
This is comical. So now we're up to $85 to get 4K content. My Xfinity Double Play is ~$120 all in with internet as well.

And I don't have a 60 second delay in every sporting event I watch :). YouTube TV and Hulu have become what they were trying to kill.

Comment

benhinc

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Correct. Fios only has 2 channels that do 4K lol

Google's support documentation for the 4K Plus add-on is very clear about what channels are currently included, so there's no need to guess.

4K playback is available on select live and on-demand content from these networks:
  • Discovery
  • ESPN
  • FOX Sports
  • FX
  • Nat Geo
  • NBC Sports
  • Tastemade

Per the documentation, the add-on includes the following new features:

• 4K viewing on available content
  • Unlimited concurrent streams at home
  • Ability to view DVR recordings offline for available content (mobile devices only)

Whether this is worth $19.99/month (note that it's actually $9.99/month for the first year), that's up to you.

And yes, 5.1 audio is for all subscribers, not just 4K Plus subscribers.

Comment

ELman

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2017
Fubo broadcast some sporting events in 4K, and they do not charge extra. The selection of 4K shows is very limited.

The following events are available in 4K on fuboTV:

DATETIME (ET)EVENT/LEAGUEMATCHUPCHANNEL
13-Jul8:00 PMMLBMLB All-Star GameFOX 4K
12-Aug7:00 PMMLBYankees vs. White SoxFOX 4K
11-Sep7:30 PMMLBYankees vs. MetsFOX 4K

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
Fubo broadcast some sporting events in 4K, and they do not charge extra. The selection of 4K shows is very limited.

The following events are available in 4K on fuboTV:

DATETIME (ET)EVENT/LEAGUEMATCHUPCHANNEL
13-Jul8:00 PMMLBMLB All-Star GameFOX 4K
12-Aug7:00 PMMLBYankees vs. White SoxFOX 4K
11-Sep7:30 PMMLBYankees vs. MetsFOX 4K

There is a lot more offered by the networks during football season. It’s still mostly Fox though.

Comment

benhinc

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
This is comical. So now we're up to $85 to get 4K content. My Xfinity Double Play is ~$120 all in with internet as well.

And I don't have a 60 second delay in every sporting event I watch :). YouTube TV and Hulu have become what they were trying to kill.

For certain situations, YouTube TV is vastly superior to Xfinity. My single YouTube TV subscription is split between three households — mom, sister + brother-in-law and me. We all have our own profiles with our own recorded content. We can watch on all our devices, anytime, anywhere, and have never run into any issues unless we run afoul of the maximum of three simultaneous streams. And, with three households contributing to the overall cost, it's significantly cheaper than Comcast. Plus, the unlimited DVR is amazing

Comment

seecoolguy

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
FuboTV is also $65 for the starter pack. all of the alternative services are pricing at the same $65 for live sports/events

Comment

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
YouTube TV and Hulu have become what they were trying to kill.
I was a DirecTV subscriber and was paying north of $100 a month. When YouTube TV came out, it was great having a lower cost option which didn’t have the hundreds of channels of crap I’d never watch. And as you point out, every year they are adding more and more junk I don’t want and raising their prices. If not for live sports, I’d cancel it completely.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.