'YouTube TV' Streaming Service Launches in Five U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

And they want to limit which devices can be used. Unlike Netflix which wants to be on every streaming device. Crazy to have a streaming service where you want exclude a huge part of the user base because you want people to buy your streaming hardware.

2. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I'm still hanging on to Directv Now, but it's not worth yet it for me. I don't like that I can't stream live local channels because I guess I'm in an area where they don't allow it. So I can't even watch the news. I don't like no CBS. I don't like no The CW. I don't like no single sign on (mostly because I want it to authenticate Nick Jr for my kids; it has the channel, but doesn't support that app). And if there isn't going to be DVR, I wish it had some kind of scheduled push notifications built-in so I could at least be reminded when something I want to watch is airing (not that that really ever happens since no ABC, NBC, CBS, etc).

The whole thing still feels really underwhelming. Like a prototype waiting for someone with vision to make it actually good.

3. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Cloud based DVR. Very interesting especially with reducing hardware and storage array clutter in the home. Only thing is there are already too much great content on YouTube that I rarely watch TV.

4. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Yeah, because Apple has ALWAYS done a limited roll-out.
    FTFY;):D

edit: It's also the smartest way to roll out a product like this.

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

My guess is that they only want to support Chromecast. Kind of like Amazon Video excluded from Apple TV and last I heard Chromecast.

6. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

It says 39.99 after the one month free in NYC not 35

7. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

I agree with the DVR part. CBS is the reason it isn't on other streaming services, not the providers.

8. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

LOLOLOL. Congrats! You won the funniest post of the year

9. lenard macrumors 6502

There is only one content and all of the streaming services offer the same thing basically.
    The big thing that people are missing is that its all cheaper the cable or sat and channels
    offer are probably what you want to see anyway. Think about it, I bet that most likely 85 percent of
    the channels in a persons cable/Sat subscription are never watch, but you are paying for it anyway.
    When I realized that and solutions were available (Playstation VUE,Diretv Now), dropped Sat tv
    like a hot potato and since I use the Apple TV, I have a great setup for my local channels with a
    OTA antenna.With this setup I am saving well of $140/Month, $1680 a year...

10. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Well, I think we can all agree that even if Apple launched a service like this at some point in the future, there's no way in hell they would allow people to have unlimited DVR storage in the cloud. For the prices they're continuing to charge for cloud storage, they must be storing data on LaCie drives.

11. webbuzz, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Noticed that as well. The UI is kind of meh, but I like the guide.

edit: I signed up via the app and it selected my gmail account, so I figured it was going through google play, but received an email from Apple confirming the trial.

12. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Guess NY charges a higher tax or fee because this is what it shows for me:

"$35/month. Cancel anytime."

13. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I'd say over 90% of what I'd want to watch on prime is available on netflix.

14. Art Mark macrumors regular

Art Mark

The issue of it being city by city and at best 'regional' is possibly why Apple hasn't released a service like this. As pointed out in this article this is only available in cities where the local channel is owned by the network. Most cities will have to be negotiated for city-by city, region by region I believe. A real nightmare. Imagine Apple trying to release a product - but only for people in 4 cities. The negative press would be huge - as the press loves to pinch Apple on anything. Apple really has to have single national solution. It might never arrive.

15. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

And now they added HBO for a year. I'm def holding on to mine because of that special promo price.

16. Art Mark macrumors regular

Art Mark

Interesting pricing indeed. We cut cable over 3 years ago now and haven't noticed it but once or twice. We don't watch a lot of TV anyway, my wife almost none. But I can't say I feel I've missed anything I wanted. The crappy way they did the Olympics was one bummer. I was hoping for some kind of robust app that let you buy access to what you wanted to see. They could have made a mint doing that.

17. Greymarch macrumors member

How much data do you typically use in a month? This could quickly get outrageously expensive. A hotspot device from AT&T uses the same data-pricing as data from an AT&T smartphone.

18. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Wow! I really appreciate the answers, you two. Thank you.

This is terrific. I've been waiting for ESPN to be offered in a steaming bundle deal. ESPN has been the main reason for me/my family keeping cable. But now, I don't see a reason to keep it anymore. We can just sign up for YouTube TV.*

We love our college football here in the south! :p

edit -- *Once this is offered in our area

19. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Whatever about city by city the Android device support is pathetic. Can't see Apple releasing a service that doesn't work on its own devices.

[​IMG]

20. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Totally agree. As of right now, nothing can compete with the DTV Now promo deal. Plus a free ATV4. They keep saying DVR is "coming soon" as well, so that's just icing on the cake for us.

Prior to cutting the cable, our Xfinity bill was $240/mo for internet, cable, and phone. We now pay $35 for the same major channels, $65 for the same internet speed, and virtually nothing for home phone- all on no-contract. Unbelievable that I was paying more than 2x what I am now for the same (if not worse) service.

21. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

I hear ya. ESPN 3, SEC Network, and ACC Network allowed me to watch just about all of the UGA and GA Tech games.

22. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I'm sure Espn and all it's networks are available on Sling TV

23. brendu macrumors 68020

Why is it only available in 5 cities? That seems pretty useless.

24. kodos macrumors 6502

How does this not work on a Pixel, or a Nexus???

25. shk718 macrumors 65816