'YouTube TV' Streaming Service Launches in Five U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

So everyone can avoid reading all posts:

Google bad. Apple good.

2. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Good for you. I do it every Jan. Prolly cut my cable some day. He is a great link for others looking to do the same with Cable. :apple:

https://www.sonshi.com/how-to-win-negotiations.html

3. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I can't remember Apple ever doing a roll-out for a fraction of the U.S. market.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

5. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Hey just a heads up the WB app is available on most platforms and puts up shows the day after for free, no sign in required.

6. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Actually, the problem is pretty much the same with DirecTV Now even still because it's to do with negotiating local TV contracts across the country. The guys in the big markets get it. Everyone else is still stuck in their backwards ways losing an audience to YouTube channels and streaming services.

7. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Sounds a lot like Apple, doesn't it?

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I just checked Sling's website. You're right -- the main three (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3) are available on Sling.

I feel so behind the times. That was my first time visiting Sling's website. Their bundles start at $20. I had no idea! I think their ads with the big biker dude turned me away. I was missing out. Woops.

9. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

The FAQ says you can have up to 6 user-accounts doing 3 simultaneous streams on one service-plan, and you can use it while traveling... I wonder if three friends could then share one service? That would make it *very* attractive price-wise...

10. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Not for me.

Me and streaming movies/tv do not get along. Add that price point for what used to be free and definitely no. I do not watch TV (mom insists on keeping cable because she's not technologically savvy); but when I buy another tv in the future it will be to watch my foreign movies on my all region blu ray player.

I'm entirely old school, but I believe in using my internet for more than eating up data just for local channels, some tv show or a movie that will constantly putter out depending on local bandwidth constraints.

For those that like this kind of thing, enjoy it.

11. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

Also check out Directv Now. Their $35 package has espn and espn 2 but no U or SEC Network. The $50 package has all the ESPN's. I'd imagine both packages have access to ESPN 3
    https://www.directvnow.com/thegoodstuff?ref=EDDCDNDHPA00007QO#the-full-lineup

12. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

The thing is I dont really negotiate with them or say anything special. I just say please cancel my tv service and the rep says I will lower your bill by $25. Done deal.

13. blasto2236 macrumors 6502a

It includes CBS, but it doesn't include Viacom channels, or HBO. It actually comes out cheaper for me to just pay the extra $5/mo for CBS since I'm getting free HBO from DirecTV NOW for the year. Price for everything, including CBS and HBO shakes out to $40/month.

If YouTube TV had an Apple TV app, I would maybe consider losing Comedy Central in the deal in exchange for cloud DVR, but they don't.

Personally, I'll continue to wait and see what Hulu does in this space. Given that they're owned by all the networks, my guess is they really nail this in a way that no one else has been able to so far. If they combine their existing streaming library with a live service for something close to $50/month, I'm all in.

14. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It appears it is $39.99 on iOS devices to account for Apple's fees. It's $35 if you sign up via web or through an Android device.

15. smaffei macrumors regular

Really?!? You don't know who Danny Trejo is?!?

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I've tried all the other major streaming packages (Sling, Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now) and ultimately stayed with PS Vue. It's available on all streaming boxes, has DVR functionality and the best interface, all while offering any channel our family has interest in watching, for $35/mo. I tried to live with DTV but no dvr, limit of playback on only 2 devices, and spotty performance (never correctly the problem of offering us the wrong regional sports programming) made switching back to PS Vue an easy decision, even with the DTV Now introductory pricing promo and free Apple TV. YouTube TV's limitations (missing channels, lack of availability on streaming boxes) won't persuade me to switch but I welcome all competition that pushes the other services to keep up.

I wish PS Vue offered all local programming in my area but that's been easily overcome with an OTA antenna and a HD Homerun box that lets us stream the locals to any other streaming box in the house. I'm spending about $80 less a month vs. a traditional cable or satellite package with DVR boxes so couldn't be happier.

17. B-Mc-C macrumors newbie

Many of us have fast, reliable internet that streams 1080P with no buffer lag or stutter, and no data limits. Plus we prefer not having to watch (or even fast-forward through) commercials. Definitely enjoying it, thanks!

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I guess working on the Nexus 5 is enough for Google.
    Who care about all the other Nexus devices.

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Does anyone here remember Aereo? I had it before the supreme ruled against it. Such a great service for only $8/month.
    All local channels.

20. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I do not, plus I prefer to watch my entertainment offline and I have to anyway. That said, I know I am in the minority with my particular needs.

21. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

Subscribed through iPhone... $39.99/mo ... Is that Apple tax?

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

So for only $35/month I get the privilege of watching 1/3 commercials, 1/3 original content which is available free over the air, and 1/3 re-runs? Boy howdy. o_O

23. dewski macrumors 6502

I've done sling tv (got a free roku) and now I'm on direct tv now (got a free current gen apple tv) and they were both fine. When someone comes out with a package that has my local sports networks (houston rockets and astros) then that will be a game changer.

24. DaPizzaMan macrumors regular

Transit for Apple Maps?

25. mmomega macrumors 68040

mmomega

Same, give me my DFW locals on aTV and I'm all over it.

I tried DirecTV Now from day of release but just recently canceled the service. We never watched it.