YouTube - Video unavailable on this Platform

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleP59, Jun 18, 2014.

1. AppleP59, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014

AppleP59 macrumors 6502

The YouTube app was updated yesterday and now, since the update it seems more then half the videos I've tried are unavailable and a "This video is unavailable on this platform" error message appears. It occurs with both iPhone I tested (5s and 4s).
    Has anyone else the this issue?

2. m3kk macrumors newbie

I hope not google is pulling some prank on iOS users

3. cynics macrumors G4

It's the channel that decides which devices get which videos.

For example if you are a musician you might want people to hear your music but not on a portable device because then people might not buy your album.

Nothing to do with Google/YouTube crippling the service for iOS users.

Sometimes you can get around this by using a browser that you can set the user agent to more of a desktop platform like internet explorer.

4. RenoG macrumors 65816

I get this with every and all Vevo videos on youtube.

5. cynics macrumors G4

May want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I just checked mine and every video I clicked on worked fine.

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

Oh really? Ok I'll try that thanks...

7. cynics macrumors G4

Make sure you are trying random videos too. I have a collection of music in a favorites folder and a lot of those won't play on my iPhone they just work on my Mac and ATV.

8. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

I find it weird that the restriction is only within the app. For example, if a particular video doesn't work in the app itself, it would still be viewable in the mobile safari browser.

Surely YouTube would want everyone thinking their app (and therefore YouTube/Google) is the greatest thing out there. It seems like they are only making their own app look stupid rather then stopping people watching mobile content.

9. cynics macrumors G4

It's not googles choice. It's the owner of the content, Google/YouTube are just the path to access that content.

There are a lot of reasons to block certain devices. The musician reason like I mentioned. Also for a device that doesn't display ads (thus no ad revenue like the ATV). Or an interactive video (embedded links that don't work on mobile/set top box). Etc etc.

If it was up to Google they would allow all content and get more ad views. But it's not. Catch 22 really...

10. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

It's the same issue on googles devices too. Half of YouTube videos can't play. :(

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

12. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand you are saying there is an option for YouTube uploads to block mobile apps from viewing their content.
    But is there also an option for them to block mobile web BROWSERS? With emphasis on it being a separate option.
    I've looked, but haven't found it. Do you need to have some sort of minimal amount of activity before having access to these options?

13. cynics macrumors G4

I'm not positive of either question. I do know they can tell that it's safari on a mobile device for example, just not sure if that specifically can be filtered.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think its a youtube problem. Youtube has a lot of problems.

15. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just don't see how it benefits anyone
    -Users don't get to view content
    Frustrating, as there is no way of known which content will play/not play apart from trail and error
    -YouTube loses users
    And make user think they have playback issues
    -Uploader don't get views
    The whole reason why they would use YouTube service

Why would YouTube add this function?

----------

Indeed.
    Navigating to and around user settings is next to impossible.

16. cynics macrumors G4

I mentioned quite a few reasons youtube added this functionality.... :confused: . It was user requested btw. You can only really be upset at the content owner. Keep in mind prior to these functions music selection on youtube was extremely limited, generally rip offs and then generally removed on copyright restrictions.

Lets put it this way. If you had a channel on YouTube that was so big you not only turned a profit from it but you made a living doing it would you want people watching the videos on ad free devices? What if your videos were high production and cost you quite a bit of money to make?

However the way it SHOULD work is when using your iPhone you can't even find videos that won't play. I don't have a good example because frankly I can't find any videos that don't play. But another example would be Beck - Blue Moon. You can't find Beck's official VEVO video when searching on an AppleTV (user name BeckVEVO). Without another device you wouldn't even know of its existence and not care.

17. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still not totally sure the uploader settings are the reason for the error message. As there is also a error message "This content owner has not made this video available on mobiles Add to playlist to watch it later on a PC." Which seems to be the restriction you are talking about.

So any other ideas about "This video is unavailable on this platform" error message?

18. cynics, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

cynics macrumors G4

Post a couple PG links that won't work. I'm having trouble finding any.

Edit.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3008107?hl=en&ref_topic=29378

It's the owner of the content restricting use on mobile devices.

19. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhpHjmxNw8
    -When played in an iPhone Safari comes up with "This content owner has not made this video available on mobiles Add to playlist to watch it later on a PC."

-And in the YouTube app comes up with "This video is unavailable on this platform"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dS6H1uanvOY
    -In the YouTube app comes up with "This video is unavailable on this platform"

-But in the iPhone Safari works fine.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Looks like it's just the app reporting a generic message. Read my edit above about the app specifically.

21. AppleP59 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    How easy was that info to find by the way?

22. cynics macrumors G4

Too easy for us to be going back and forth for so long about this. Lol. Just google searched that error and it was the top link.

Messing around with my youtube channel under a video and advanced I can change the distribution or at least I would if I was a monetized partner with youtube (option is grayed out) so I can't dive and further into the settings.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I really think its youtube. I don't know of a setting to make it videos only aviable on a computer. And I don't know why someone would do that any way.

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, the how and the why have been mentioned in some of the previous posts.

25. CEmajr macrumors 601

I use the mctube app. It seems to play a lot of those videos that give me that error message in the YouTube app.