Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Colours maybe but not pixel density. Text and faces are well blurry.

Nothing blurry about the XR display to my eyes. If I carefully compare text side-by-side with a XS I can see some differences (like, curves on text aren't quite as smooth) but in day-to-day use I'd never notice.

That said, I can only use my eyes for this comparison, and I'm sure other eyes notice more significant differences.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Did you even read my post? I said the XR has a better resolution than the eye can distinguish, not the other way around
And that is nonsense, of course that human I can distinguish higher ppi than Xr lcd... Xr text is blurry, less sharp than on 8plus/xs... if you cant see that, good for you (well, good for your wallet, not your eyes)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I was skeptic, but when I saw with my own eyes, I changed my mind. There is difference, and I do not know why when (technically) there shouldn’t be any.

That is why I went for XS Max. There were just too many compromises with XR. IMHO, XS Max is worth extra money.

The only thing I would like from the XR is that amazing battery life.

Droid187

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2019
And that is nonsense, of course that human I can distinguish higher ppi than Xr lcd... Xr text is blurry, less sharp than on 8plus/xs... if you cant see that, good for you (well, good for your wallet, not your eyes)

not all human eyes are created equal. maybe mine is bad and i deserve a sh*tty screen, but I have used my brother's XS MAX many times and honestly, unless it's side by side and you are really looking for it, daily usage will not notice a difference. At least in MY eyes.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The screen doesn’t look that bad when I’m using the phone on the street or the subway, but watching YouTube videos and reading in my bed it’s just a bad experience, there are visible jaggies in the letters , text just looks “fuzzy” and so don videos as well, exhibitng lots of compression.

I also have a pixel 2 (that I’m selling right now) and I compared the two devices, to not feel like I’m being just paranoid and picky, but there is a real difference. I cannot believe apple is so greedy that it would purposely cripple the device, so that if we want a better aka good screen we’re forced to get the iPhone XS, a 300 eur device like a moto g6 has a higher res screen, ridiculous.

Before you say , just return it and buy the iPhone XS, I’d like to say that it feels wrong to me to pay 1150 euros for a device, that by the way also has an inferior camera to my current device (pixel 2) that was released a year ago and costed me 600 euros; also the iPhone XS has poor battery life and no usb c port, too many compromises for that price.l point.

And no I don’t want to keep my pixel 2 with such a small screen, I miss iOS. I want to use iOS again.

Did you just learn to live with it?

Just do yourself a favour, box up the XR, take it back to Apple and get your money back, buy a Pixel 2 XL. Job done, I would say Pixel 3 but apparently it’s got lots of bugs?

You’ll be much happier. Otherwise lump it and buy the Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.