Youtube vs Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gixxerredliner, Jan 25, 2009.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Ok so I've been using a macbook white for a few days now, I am trying to figure out if i decide to actually buy one because the one im using is my friends. Is there anything I can do to decrease the strain of watching youtube and movies on the CPU? when watching youtube the macbook uses 50% of the cpu in safari to watch a youtube vid and when watching a movie it reaches into 90% of the cpu being used and the fan cuts on.

If this is what I mainly use my macbook for would all the youtube videos and movies send the macbook into over heating hell? I just dont want to invest into a macbook if it wil cause it eventually to die out because it wasnt built to handle youtube vids and movies.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

well, which macbook were you considering?

I'm asking because the new macbooks (unibody) don't stress the cpu as much as the plastic ones. Right now actually I'm watching youtube videos, and it is hovering around 15-20% CPU...a huge decrease from my sister's white macbook, which takes just about what you said, 50% or sometimes even more.

3. o2xygen macrumors regular

Wow could you possibly troll some more?

Get over it, if you feel this strongly about macs then dont use it, get a ****** HP or some other piece of trash and go post your vast windows issues on some windows fan site,I could care less. Theres no need to start a topic for every minor detail about the mac you dont like and have problems with, there are many new user guides lying around and google is a life-saver. The majority of us here love our macs and couldnt live with just a pc.

4. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

yes Sir!!!!!

I was thinking if I got the 2.4 Alu macbook would it be better. My friend has the white macbook and not the one that just recieved the bump in internal hard ware. Im thinking maybe the 2.4 would hold up alot better.

5. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

wow

Please stop drinking the apple kool aid kid please, macs are awesome machines i just want to find the one that works the best for what I intend to use it for.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

All Apple computers suffer with Youtube, its nothing to do with youtube, its to do with the system it runs on, Flash.

Flash is very resource intensive on Macs

Nothing can be done about it, because its a fairly universal App

It wont damage your computer at all, or affect you much.

Flash may update to version 11 soon, and fix this, lets hope.

Its a bit rude considering Flash was made for macs.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I don't think he was drinking Apple Kool Aid, but another kind that starts with A and has 2 syllables.

Your post was the furthest thing from trolling... :confused:

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

to answer your question, yes it would be a lot better. the new macs have the 9400M which can handle some of the processing from things such as youtube videos :) so there will be a massive decrease in CPU usage.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Why don't you stop trolling? The fact that you joined to comment on this topic means your trolling.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

just to bring up a point of clarification. i checked my cpu usage (2.0 aluminum macbook) watching a youtube vid. when i have activity monitor open to processes, safari shows ~40-50% cpu usage, which lines up with what you said. however, when i check the cpu tab when watching the vid, it shows the processor at around 70% idle, 20% user, and 10% system usage. so....

11. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

That's going to keep me awake tonight. I hate riddles. :D

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

haha its fairly obvious.

13. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Hey I think I may have found a solution bro!!!!!!!

I asked one of my friends who has a page on youtube, his name is soldierknowsbest. If you type that into the youtube search bar you will find his page, anyway he told me to use firefox instead of using safari so that it wont put as much strain on the CPU as using safari would. Im going to try it out, also try it out and let me know what stats you record thanks once again bro for checking it out for me. Also do you have the 2.0 Alu or the 2.4? I want the 2.4 but if i buy the 2.0 Alu i can than buy that nifty best buy replacement plan in case something happens. well get back to me when you can and anyone else reading this that has either firefox or google chrome internet browers let me know what stats you record thanks.

14. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Firefox rules!

Good luck testing these benchmarks. Remember the guy you mentioned from YouTube has a MBP. That might make a tiny difference.

15. quotemeas macrumors regular

From all that I read, FF is all but slower on a Mac (renders webpages slower).

Here is the thing about fans. Just because they spin up does not mean your computer is over heating. They work off a step-up type of logic. I.E:

70 degrees or lower = Fan off or minimal speed
    71-90 degrees = Fan at 20%
    91-109 degrees = Fan at 50%
    110 degrees and up = Fan at 100%

Your fan doesn't just kick on when your CPU or motherboard begins to fry.

I really don't understand why people worry when they are watching videos and the fan kicks on. If you don't like the sound, turn up the volume or use headphones.

The people that have said the FLASH is more resource intensive on a Mac are correct. But, it is working as it should. Until the developers tone down the FLASH resource requirements, know that your computer is working as it should.

Also, to those that would say "well it should work this way." Yes, maybe it should in your opinion. I'm just stating that it doesn't work that way now and you need to realize it.

EDIT: Yes, if you got a the newer Alu MB, you would see a far better improvement in playback of graphic intensive tasks. The Intel IGA is far less powerful then the dedicated GPU chip in the newer MBs.

16. akbc macrumors 6502

Is Flash performance actually relevant to the power of GPU?
    I thought it's all or mainly CPU that does the work when it comes to Flash stuff...

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Completely CPU, or people without graphics cards wouldnt be able to watch online videos :rolleyes:

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

that will not fix your problem at all! firefox is hardly even better than safari, let alone THAT good.

i have the first MBP ever bought out, i cant help you. sorry.

19. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

yes sir

Hmmm i thought firefox was a more reliable internet browser than safari? thats interesting

20. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

this is odd because i was watching hd youtube videos and never exceeded more than 20% of cpu.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

on the mac things are a little different. not as much effort goes into the coding of FF as compared to windows, so its not as good performance wise..

besides, it doesnt matter how well the coding of the application is, no matter what there will still be EXACTLY the same amount of decoding/processing to be done on a video...

22. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

I know a lot of people who prefer Firefox, but Safari is faster and more reliable for me, personally. I use Firefox for ChaCha (I'm a guide) and Stumbleupon (when I'm bored) only.

23. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

hmmmm

Were you looking at the activity manager(safari)????? because they are two cpu readings. One is in green and the other is when you actually look at what the CPU is clocking running it from safari? dont know if i explained that right lol

24. quotemeas macrumors regular

No, a video card will help dramatically. If your computer does not see a dedicated graphics device, then yes...all the instructions will be routed to your CPU. A GPU eliminates the need for a CPU to process those instructions.

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

newbie fanboy...