Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
So far it's limited to 1080p, which is obviously fine

Still, it'd be nice to see some evidence that it's necessary for all of these companies to be doing this

Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I'm watchhing a video right now, at 1080p. The Connection Speed reported in Stats for Nerds is 33939 kbs... So the worldwide gimping apparently has yet to take place.

Many of the videos I'm interested in are programming and CAD related. They are illegible at low resolutions.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Still 4K here for YT. I havent seen any slow down with the network so far, Can still max out the 100Mb connection.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
so, I never saw the rise of skywalker in theatres. I'd like to. It's coming out for the home market in April.

Now, Bezos wants me to preoder the amazon prime video version and does not offer the bluray yet.

So, can I risk ordering the streaming version and having to settle for a crap resolution? Or should I look for a vendor that stocks the disc?

I was contemplating the stream of Emma, as well. 20 bucks is a bit rich for a 480p stream.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Love watching all the internet man-children cry about their streaming video quality while hospitals are filling up and people are dying off and our economy is tanking.

When I was a kid, I had to watch videos in 480p uphill both ways in the snow! And we liked it!

Can't imagine you people when the actual crap hits the fan.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
When I was a kid, I had to watch videos in 480p uphill both ways in the snow! And we liked it!
You also had these.

PA-7966317-1024x701.jpg

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Love watching all the internet man-children cry about their streaming video quality while hospitals are filling up and people are dying off and our economy is tanking.

Where is the actual proof that taking these measures on streaming video quality is necessary?

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
so, I never saw the rise of skywalker in theatres. I'd like to. It's coming out for the home market in April.

Now, Bezos wants me to preoder the amazon prime video version and does not offer the bluray yet.

So, can I risk ordering the streaming version and having to settle for a crap resolution? Or should I look for a vendor that stocks the disc?

I was contemplating the stream of Emma, as well. 20 bucks is a bit rich for a 480p stream.

Don't order disney blurays from amazon. They are still having a fight and amazon is not the place to get them. Order them on best buy or target or walmart instead. https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-target-exclusive-4k-uhd/-/A-79368889

Reactions: jerwin

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
"YouTube already limits the quality of video based on the strength of a user's internet connection."

I see ignorance of technology and linguistics is contageous... it used to just be (older) politicians that could be forgiven for misusing words and concepts, describing the internet as being like "a collection of tubes" - but now M5M is talking about internet connection strength....
Apart from that, I feel that 1080p/30Hz is fine.

Reactions: globalist

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
hey youtube - you used to be good - now you're ruined evrything with your nuisance ads everywhere
yeah your so called 720p hd quality - was not hd in the first place
so now you throttle down to 144p - i'm not surprised...

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Ridiculous. YouTube is already the most compressed and bitstarved streaming platform there is, and now they’re lowering the quality even more?! They should increase the bitrate of their streams to get up to par with other sites, not decrease it.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Which bit of the very first sentence "YouTube will begin reducing the quality of its videos for users around the world starting today." are you having a problem with?

Selfish Americans don't consider us part of all that... What part of THAT sentence are you having a problem with?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Capping the home data plans would also help tremendously. Don’t you agree?

I prefer unlimited data plan at home with bandwidth reduction than having a data cap. It is ok for mobile, but at home you sometimes need to download stuff like os updates, or backup your files on the cloud etc.

Is it possibile to download the movie so you can enjoy it at maximum quality?
The download speed could be slower than usual, but at least you could have the movie on device and be sure to play it at 4K

Reactions: dogg

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada

You had 480p? I'm impressed. I had 480i.

Reactions: Deelron and macduke

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018

480p? You were a lucky kid. I’m not sure what the resolution was, but I could have counted the pixels on the TV I had to watch. I could see them from several feet away. We’ve definitely come a long way.

Reactions: macduke

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I prefer unlimited data plan at home with bandwidth reduction than having a data cap. It is ok for mobile, but at home you sometimes need to download stuff like os updates, or backup your files on the cloud etc.

Is it possibile to download the movie so you can enjoy it at maximum quality?
The download speed could be slower than usual, but at least you could have the movie on device and be sure to play it at 4K

er, my home infrastructure doesn't support hdmi 2.2. I'd have to replace my TV, my computer, and my stereo (and get new ultra bluray player).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.