Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube appears to be developing a new gaming service called "Playables," according to The Wall Street Journal. The service allows users to play games on mobile devices or desktop computers, and it is being tested with Google employees internally.

General-YouTube-Feature-1.jpg

Playables appears to offer instant-play games through the YouTube website or YouTube mobile apps, offering an alternative to video content. In a statement, a YouTube spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal that "gaming has long been a focus at YouTube" and that the company is "always experimenting with new features," but the spokesperson declined to comment specifically on Playables.

Google previously had the Stadia cloud gaming service, but announced plans to shut it down last September. Google said that the service was not able to gain the traction that Google had been expecting, and Stadia was officially shuttered in January 2023.

Playables does not offer the same cloud based gaming as Stadia, focusing on simple games rather than console titles. One of the available games is Stack Bounce, an arcade game where players smash bricks with a ball.

There is no word on when Playables could see a public launch.

Article Link: YouTube Working on 'Playables' Gaming Service

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Wouldn’t be surprised to see it as another version of what Netflix has going. A couple of the largest gaming company purchases recently included the acquisition of a large number of mobile geared developers that have been making their companies quite a tidy sum over the years. They’re going to where the money is, and there’s a lot of mobile devices out there.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Hmmm, wouldn't this effectively give Google its own App Store on iOS? Limited at first, sure, but is this just the start of a bigger plan?

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Google: “I know I promised to be good and let you down yet again with stadia, and I know I didn’t keep my promise with almost anything else, but please baby I promise I’ve changed! Please baby please come back! If you really love me you’ll try out my new thing. What do you mean, ‘no’? Well you are nothing without me anyway!”

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Did they? YouTube still tries to sell me movies.
I think they rent/ sell movies, but not a streaming service like Netflix anymore. They originally had the Cobra Kai series as a Youtube original but then I think it went to Netflix when Youtube abandoned their streaming service.

It was disappointing because personally, I'd subscribe to a Netflix type service from them if it removes adds from Youtube (assuming everything else is on par). Actually Youtube is in a unique position to offer a streaming package with music, movies, tv, and their regular independent videos. Amazon capitalizes similarly with music, streaming, and free delivery of products.

Reactions: klasma

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Google: “I know I promised to be good and let you down yet again with stadia, and I know I didn’t keep my promise with almost anything else, but please baby I promise I’ve changed! Please baby please come back! If you really love me you’ll try out my new thing. What do you mean, ‘no’? Well you are nothing without me anyway!”

Exactly. When you keep selling services and then bail on them, people are reluctant to invest anything in you.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
I think they rent/ sell movies, but not a streaming service like Netflix anymore. They originally had the Cobra Kai series as a Youtube original but then I think it went to Netflix when Youtube abandoned their streaming service.

It was disappointing because personally, I'd subscribe to a Netflix type service from them if it removes adds from Youtube (assuming everything else is on par). Actually Youtube is in a unique position to offer a streaming package with music, movies, tv, and their regular independent videos. Amazon capitalizes similarly with music, streaming, and free delivery of products.
They rent and sell movies on Google Play. That's what they're promoting on YouTube. It works like an iTunes Store, but it has way more options and more subtitles.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
This is probably great for all the women who like some version of Chocolate Cookie Castle or Cupcake Queen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.