Yoyobase.com Vapor Pro Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iz2sick, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iz2sick, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

ATTENTION: THIS IS A KNOCK-OFF CASE. In case clicking yoyobase.com didn't make that obvious.

Alright, so www.yoyobase.com has started to send me cases for review. This one is of the Vapor 4 Pro, but it is a first gen with the shorter plastic tab. Please don't ruin this thread with hate remarks. I review anything I am sent or cases that I personally purchase EVEN IF IT IS A KNOCK-OFF. I am using an iPhone 4S.

Ease of Install: Medium - If you are used to handling tiny screws, then you shouldn't have a problem here. After you get the screws lined up, it is straightforward from there. The rubber padding pieces are also a little tricky to install since they are small.

Accessory Compatibily: Other than my car charger, my other accessories are stock from Apple. They all fit fine. I have an AT&T car charger.

Fitment: Excellent. This has a much better fit than my other white Vapor 4 Pro case. Goes around the phone quite snug and leaves no gaps. I was actually afraid that it was too tight at first, but after screwing it together, it was perfect. The mute and volume buttons are a little hard to reach. This isn't a problem that's specific to this case though. This is just how these cases are designed.

Signal Performance: I don't do DB tests. If you guys really want me to, then I will. I personally think DB tests are not necessarily unless you notice a performance change with a case on. There was no change in 3G+, WiFi, or GPS functionality. My speeds were all normal.

Quality: 7/10 - This is a very good bumper case considering the price which is under $30. There is a slight misalignment where the plastic tab meets the meal, but it is very slightly off. The paint doesn't look quite as good as the authentic cases, but it is still nice. I was sent the violet color which actually looks nice on a white iPhone so the girls should be happy here.

It comes with all the bells and whistles like a carrying case, screw driver, back cover skin, and the certificate of authenticity. The back cover could have been better quality. There are some bubbles in the one I received.

Overall Impression: Pretty dang good deal. I got the case promptly, 10 days to Michigan. The case isn't perfect, but I'd be more than happy to pay $23 for this case. I already spent that much on another color. This case only has minor issues which are very negligible. The fit is absolutely perfect and gives the iPhone a slight lay on the table design.

The seller is very responsive through email and also takes suggestions on how to improve his site. I'd more than recommend www.yoyobase.com for your iPhone needs if you do not mind a longer shipment time from China. They do offer expedited shipping, but be prepared to pay almost as much as the case.

Thanks for reading guys. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on what you would like me to add to my reviews. I will be doing more from now on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

3. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Thanks for your input on my review guys lol.

That case is very nice though. Might grab one in the future.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Initially I was jaded by yet another aluminum bumper but seeing as it comes in under $30 and your review was overall positive this is a real consideration.

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Can you post a direct link to it?

I've been searching the site, but can't find the right one.

6. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

7. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

... but, it's fake.

Right? Unless I'm missing something here.

8. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Yea it is. That's why I said "it comes with all the bells and whistles".

9. maclook macrumors 65816

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    If you drop your phone, the glass front and back will still hit the ground first and inevitably crack the glass. With most bumpers, there is a protruding rim around the phone that will take any impact away from the glass. Doesn't seem to be the case with this bumper. As attractive as it is, I don't see any protection at all except for the iPhone's aluminum band which is the most resilient part of the phone.

10. ac921ol macrumors regular

no need to correct you.
    cause you are spot on, this case looks horrible (kickstarter one) it doesnt have a lay on table design, it uses the metal in between, to have the case attached.
    I would be very very upset I spent $65.00 on a case like that, VERY UPSET

----------

Great Review, and great case, I got mine from Jacky Lin, very nice case and worth the money.

11. DougNg macrumors member

There are little feet on the back side for lay on the table design for the i+case. No feet on the front side (deal breaker for me)

That being said, these cases (most aluminum bumpers) offer very little/no protection if the phone lands face up/down

They're really for more for customization than anything else

12. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

this thread belongs under the fake vapor case thread. Nothing different than the thousands of posts there anyway.

Also, your post does not make mention of the fact that this is a knockoff case until someone else mentioned it. Are you by any chance involved in selling these cases? Sure looks like it here.

13. maclook macrumors 65816

Yup, even goes as far to acknowledge the certificate of authenticity (of a fake product?). Good review but this is an incredibly misleading thread.

14. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Hopefully the moderator moves it to the fake vapor pro thread.
    Nothing against the knockoffs, but this thread seems to be started to attract buyers to a case that is a knockoff but is not stated to be so by the original poster.

Nice try yoyobase.com!

Buy a banner ad like the rest of the merchants.

15. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Excuse me, but my review openly states that is a case review from YoYobase which very obviously sells knock-offs. I also say in my review not to post hate rants like you guys are right now because of this fact. If this were an actual Element case, the Element site would have been linked or an eBay link for Tekcases.

I will add "knock-off" in my review since some of you do not understand that. The short plastic tab that I mentioned was another blazing red flag. Furthermore, I said I review whatever I buy or am sent. Yoyobase sent me this particular case so I reviewed it.

My next review will be on a genuine Griffin Reveal Frame bumper which I bought. So kindly stop your speculations. I am flagging your comments to the mods right now for your insults.

----------

No, you are misunderstanding the point of my mention of the certificate. I said "it even comes with all the bells and whistles". Understand that phrase means all the little nuances of the Element cases including the certificate. This is to showcase the lengths at which these Chinese manufacturers are taking to copy this product.

This thread is not incredibly misleading. A quick look through Yoyobase will make it very obvious that these are knock-offs. This is ignoring the fact that I mentioned many things factors about the knock-off such as the "short plastic tab" comment.

16. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Are you suggesting that every case review go into a thread about said cases?

Why are you singling this one out? Because you have an agenda against knock-offs? Sorry, I don't discriminate when it comes to product reviews. What I buy or am sent is gonna get reviewed regardless of where it came from.

There a plethora of other reviews that have their own thread even though there are literally dozens of threads about said case. Posting a review in a thread like the China Vapor knock-off one means my review will get lost and many newcomers will miss it because let's face it, not many people actually spend time to read through a thread that has over 50 pages.

17. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

You also said it has a certificate of "authenticity." If it isn't authentic by your own admission, what is the piece of paper certifying? That it's a fake? Or did they actually go to the trouble of copying the original certificate of authenticity?

18. iz2sick, Nov 22, 2011

iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

I've already explained this. Look, my thought was the phrase "it comes with all the bells and whistles" is understood as all the unnecessary, but welcomed, extras.

On the actual Element case, the certificate is something that is included with all of their cases. It's a normal part of the product.

You don't expect this from a knock-off hence I call it a part of "bells and whistles". Meaning that these knock-off manufacturers are going to great lengths to replicate this product.

Can we stop with the negativity now? I'm not going to be a strictly knock-off reviewer. My next one is of the Genuine Griffin Reveal frame. Some time after that, I will be writing up a Lucky Labs one.

In all reviews, I will link the companies that the product comes from. In this case, it happened to be Yoyobase.

Let me ask you, if yoyobase offered you free cases, albeit knock-offs, would you not say yes if all you had to do was post a review on a forum?

----------

I'm doing this in my spare time for a hobby. I'm spending time to take good pictures and give the cases a fair review for others about to make a purchase to see.

If you don't like it, just kindly move on.

19. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

It's quite sad that you almost have to spoon feed people now a days. It was obvious this case is a copy / knockoff / nongenuine... whatever you want to call it.

It's an excellent review, but the fact that you had to clarify that it's a knock off says more about those complaining than anything, it's beyond pathetic some others couldn't extrapolate it was a knock off.

Oh, this review made my brother bite, ordered a BlackOPS from yoyobase :)

[FWIW, I own a Vapor Pro Stealth, I just don't see the hate for the knockoff products, they're dirt cheap and provide similar awesomeness, why can't we all just get along? >_<]

Thanks iz2sick ^_^

20. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

I get that, but not everyone will. When you reference a "certificate of authenticity" on a knock-off product that is named EXACTLY the same thing as the original, I can see it being confusing for those people who may not understand how these things work, or for people who don't speak English as a first language. Highlighting the inclusion of a document regarding "authenticity" when it is clearly NOT authentic muddles the facts.

I would absolutely not accept free cases from them. I don't support the business practice of blatantly stealing a copyrighted design (down to the fake certificate of "authenticity"). I don't know why Chinese law seems to throw the idea of intellectual property out the window, but I'm not about to encourage the practice... "free" or not. Someone in this country put a LOT of time and effort into designing the case, only to have some lazy manufacturer rip off the design and sell it for less than half the price.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'm not sure why this or any thread discussing products that infringe on other companies' proprietary designs are even permitted in the first place. If this were a wristwatch forum, and this thread was about a Rolex knockoff, the entire thread would have been deleted immediately.

Macrumors doesn't allow the discussion of pirated software, but it allows reviews of pirated case designs...

:confused:

22. iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Yes, but you are focusing on that one portion of my review totally disregarding the rest. That's quote mining and then taking it out of context. It also ignores the link provided which makes it very obvious that this is a knock-off case.

As for your anti-knock-off statement, more power to you. I for one don't mind if they aren't really robbing business from the actual brand. The majority of people buying the knock-off Element wouldn't buy the genuine one in the first place. Actually, many of the people who bought the knock-offs also bought a genuine one just for the sake of comparing.

SO what is the problem here? You're now arguing principle. Do as you will with that. I have 0 issues with you following your own morals.

Just know that I personally wouldn't spend $150 for a genuine Element case unless I had the cash to blow. It's either buy a knock-off or buy some plastic bumper case that was made in China anyway.

Also, you seem to be defending morals. What about the morals of Element Case? They are charging a very high price for aluminum no matter the grade. I deal with snowboard equipment for a living and for a hobby. You can buy a very good quality aluminum chassis binding for just under $200. Are you trying to honestly and morally tell me that Element is charging a fair price to consumers for their product?

I like to support good brands myself. I take it a step further and support my local market as much as I can. Produce etc.. from local farmers... Support Costco because of their excellent business practices.

Element has shown none of the above from the accounts I have seen. They have notoriously bad customer service. Their product is made out of aluminum. And yet they charge $150 for them when another company charges just $80 for a far more durable and exotic material... CARBON FIBER.

----------

Because pirated software is getting the ACTUAL SOFTWARE for much less or even free.

These are knock-off cases. You aren't receiving the actual Element case nor is it the same quality even. There's a huge difference.

Would you guys feel better if these cases didn't have Element logos on them? Kind of like the polo shirts that you see in Wal-Mart that are obviously modeled after the Polo brand?

23. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

If the comparisons prove that the knock-off is a bit lower quality at a much lower price, how is that NOT stealing business from the original manufacturer? People WILL buy the knockoff and skip the original. I doubt that many people bought BOTH just for grins.

Business ethics != morals. I'm talking about the legal and ethical ramifications of stealing intellectual property with no fear of reprisal. Chinese companies know that American (or any other nationality) companies can't touch them legally for patent violations, so they throw ethics out the window and do whatever they want. Element has the right to charge exorbitant prices for the product that they designed and manufacture. That doesn't mean it's a reasonable price and that consumers will pay it, but they have the right to do whatever they want with the product they own.

Bad customer service doesn't make design theft okay. It's a perfectly acceptable reason to NOT buy Element's product, but it certainly isn't going to make me go buy a ripoff just to spite them. And again, they can charge whatever they deem fair and appropriate. Maybe they have a lot of overhead costs, or really inefficient processes... or maybe they're just really greedy and want to shoot for a high profit margin... That's their prerogative. I'm not going to spend that much on a bumper case, but somebody might.

Probably. I still wouldn't buy it, but at least they're not trying to pass off the knock-off as the real thing like Yoyobase is doing. The only reason to use the Element logo instead of a Yoyobase logo is to deceive potential customers. They are hoping someone sees a sweet Element case for $30 and buys it, without looking hard to determine if it's the real deal (especially with the inclusion of a "certificate of authenticity").

24. iz2sick, Nov 22, 2011

iz2sick thread starter macrumors 6502

iz2sick

You are making blind assumptions. Go peruse the vapor pro chinese knock off review thread. You will in fact see at least two people who bought both for kicks. You will also see the vast majority of the knock off purchasers saying that they would not buy a real element case because of the exorbitant cost.

Please stop making assumptions. You are derailing my review with unfounded remarks. You can follow what ethics you like. I'm a business person myself. I would never overcharge my customers for something like aluminum unless there is something in my process that gives me high manufacturing costs.

I will admit I have no clue as to how Element manufactures their products. From what I can see based on other's reviews of the genuine case, I do not see a justification for the cost. Defend the company all you want. I won't.

People from the vast majority of accounts are not choosing the knock off over the real thing. There is evidence of that in the thread I mentioned. I'm sure some people are, but they are a minority. This is a matter of people finding a better way of spending their $23.

The way to stop knock-offs from being successful is by charging fair prices for your products. Many of the people in that thread openly admitted they would buy the real thing if it cost $60-80 which is a very fair price for annodized aluminum.

By the way, I have 0 sympathy for customers that do not research their purchases prior to buying them. The Internet is a wonderful tool for that. A little research on a genuine vapor pro will make you realize yoyobase is selling fake ones. Ask these Chinese sellers if these are genuine element. Tell me what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.