Zelda: Skyward Sword

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Oneness, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Oneness macrumors regular

Has the Wii fallen this far? A new Zelda is out and no discussion? A Zelda that most critics have rated very highly and that the IGN critic calls 'one of the best games in the past 10 years'.
    I personally have not played my Wii in about a year, so I can't point my finger at anyone, but I was hoping that at least someone here still paid the Wii some attention and could give some input on the new Zelda.
    Anyone?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone seems to love this game 'cept me.

The intro= superb. Laughed at various points.
    The music= whimsical and epic.
    Controls and combat= Throughly good fun.
    First Boss= Refreshingly difficult. Took 2 attempts, bravo Nintendo.

But there's no explorable map (as it were), levels on the ground seem to be just that - linear levels on the ground. You drop down, solve a few puzzles and move in a straight line. The way it centralises the game around the sky village is something I don't like too. I'm really hoping it blossoms at some point.

There is just way too much hand holding (even with its well-crafted difficulty) to make it as grand and adventurous as Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time. So far.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm getting this game soon. Just too much on my plate and too much gaming overload in general now days. :)

My friend's Wii just died, so he bought a new one. He plays it constantly with his son. Mine is plugged in and happy.

Anyways, just too much overload of games in general now days, but this is one of the few games I'm looking forward to.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

I got the game at release and have also got a number of other games recently on the PS3, 3DS and 360. I've actually got a pile of games I've bought at release this year including Uncharted 3, Rayman Origins, Gears Of War 3, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Little Big Planet 2, and Dead Space 2 which have so far no even been put in the relevant console.

I've just been too busy especially lately. The only new game I've actually started is Super Mario 3D Land. I've for Mario Kart 7 on the way too. Hopefully over the holiday period I'll have time to play at least some of these games. This is one of the problems with owning all the consoles. I'm really looking forward to playing Zelda. In a couple of months I'll have a PS Vita with more games. These days I just don't seem to have the time.

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I know this is going to sound like a really silly dumb question but... If you don't have time to play the game right away. Why do you buy them at release? Wouldn't it be better to get them later, when the game goes down in price? Just asking, mean nothing by the question.

Hugh

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's the problem with making enough to buy anything you want. You never have time to enjoy it!

It's even worse when you have kids, because you don't have time, for a very good reason, and you're too tired to play when you want to. That's my problem, but I've asked for Skyward Sword for Christmas and hope to put some hours in when the newborn (she's due any day now) and 3 year old are sleeping.

7. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Grad for the newborn, I understand the time taking away from kids. Wait until they reach the teen years! LOL

Hugh

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

The little I have played I have liked. It is the most substantial game for the Wii yet and probably will be the last great AAA game for the console. After OoT all Zelda games have become 'more linear' (from Majora's onward). For SS I wouldn't say more linear but 'less open' since exploration all over the map is not possible here. You don't hear anything because Ninty never promotes heavily any Zelda game.

Haven't gotten in depth with the game yet since I have been playing Uncharted 3, Batman Arkham City, Heavy Rain DC & Rocksmith. Will probably start in-depth Zelda in January so that then I can finished my backlog of games (which is like 15 games deep just in the PS3 side- I blame CAG) that I NEVER have time to really play with. :(

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

You have a valid point and for the most part I agree with you. Most games that I have an interest in but are not at the top of my list I generally wait until there is a special offer or they get permanently reduced in price.

That said there are some games which I really love and in some cases been waiting a long time for and just have to buy as soon as they are released in the hope I get a chance to play them right away. It's nice to be able to take part in forum dicussions and listen to podcasts discussions on games having played them as you can join in and/or relate as well as know what people are talking about.

In a way it's the excitement of getting a game that I regard as special and one I really want to play. it's hard to explain really. Usually if it's a game that I want to play that gets mixed or poor reviews I will wait until I can pick it up as a bargain.

----------

I hear you. I'm single and don't have kids but I have other responsibilities that prevent me from having enough time. Not to mention working full time I'm usually too tired to play games. Further more with thw Wii games due to the nature of the game play in terms of the waggling and energy needed it makes it even harder as you can't just sit down with a normal controller to play the game. My gaming genre tastes are also pretty varied and along with owning all the consoles I tend to buy a lot more games them some others may. Being able to afford to do so doesn't make it any easier.

----------

Batman is another game I should add to my list that I have bought but not even started. I've purposely not bought certain games at realease just because I know I'm already behind and they are games I'm not as interested in.

10. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm with you guys on the various reasons for buying games at release or later.

And on this topic, I'm bummed that I didn't get Zelda on release. Now that I'm looking to get it, I can't get the collector's edition with the Gold Wiimote for a reasonable price. It's $120+ on Amazon, really? :\

And on this ramble, I'm through buying Bioware's games at launch after feeling completely ripped off with DA2.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ I got soooOOoo lucky with my Zelda preorder. Got the Limited Edition version for (here at least) half the price of the regular version. Stores mistake that they upheld. :)
    It's only worth it for the controller though. I don't have any Motion Plus accessories. The bundled soundtrack CD only contains 8 or so tracks.

I just like to preorder things, forget about them and have glorious packets of goodness posted through months later.

Also, I usually have every intention of playing them but I just don't have the time. I spend a couple of hours gaming every day but that gets put into whichever game has my attention the most. Right now I'm playing a lot of Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land because I have more time to play my 3DS than my home consoles.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Amazon got another batch in a few days ago. I got lucky and picked up one of the bundles with the gold wiimote. Really excited to get it.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

@ Dagless,

Half price would ROCK! Even at normal price it's worth it, since it's only $10 more for the special wiimote. :)

@ Alaerian,

Lucky! Every time I look it's $120! :eek:

But on the lucky thing... My friend works at a game store up north and says his store has them in and is holding it, so I'm going I'm going to look into getting a transfered down here to a local store. :)

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just grabbed my Zelda out of the mailbox. Now to start sword-swinging!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nice! :)

How is the sword play in this game? Does it let you do a varient on your strike just by how you've swinged the wiimote?

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, any angle will do too. You can also stab/poke.

I played some at Eurogamer months back and thought to myself "I wonder if I'll be able to stab those big fruit objects and throw them". The answer is YES :).

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Watch out for that Skyward Sword bug

Just got Mario Kart in the mail yesterday. Having a lot of fun and I haven't even gone online yet

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

@Dagless,

That's awesome! :)

Ok, my truck died this week :( , so I probably won't be getting any new games for a few, since I'll be forking out for a new vehicle.

@ Liquorpuki,

As soon as my friend picks it up, and given I'm not up to my head in car payments, I'm getting MK7 to play him online. Mario Kart DS is one of the most enjoyable games I've played with friends, so I have high hopes for this new one.

19. -SD- macrumors 6502

Every few years I seem to loose a month of my life to the new Zelda game.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I have to agree with Dagless that everything revolving around the Skyloft main hub is a little strange. It's very different to the normal world map in a Zelda game, but I suppose it's like that to encourage you to return there and complete the side quests.

The Motion Plus does, in general, work very well. Working out how to defeat enemies or solve puzzles with a combination of directional sword slashes and thrusts has been implemented very well. But there have been moments where it has let me down which has resulted in much swearing and cursing during a boss battle.

The weapons are your standard Zelda selection but I'm a little disappointed by the inclusion of both the bow and slingshot, which essentially do the same job, and the lack of a boomerang. I'm not sure about the whip either (other than just being there for the motion controls), as the clawshots could have been used for all it's tasks.

And maybe it's just my old age, but there's a damn lot of buttons to use. I'm sure I got on fine before with just two or four main buttons. But I found it took quite a while to get used to the controls. I still get mixed up with A and B and end up putting a weapon away that I want to use or start randomly dropping bombs.

My main concern is how much the game has been held back due to the lack of power in the Wii. It does look very nice, but you can't help imagine how much better it would look running at native 720p.

Also, there's no Cuckoos!!

:apple:

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IMO all it needs is some AA! I keep noticing the jagged edges and it's most annoying. I think the soft/low res look works well with the art direction.

21. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I just finished it, I loved everything about it- the story, the controls, the new races and the graphics. I thought Majora's Mask would never get bumped off being my number one Zelda game, but Skyward Sword did it. It more than made up for the awful disappointment that was Twilight Princess.

I can't wait to see what they do with the franchise now, though one thing I hope they never change now is the sword controls- going back to pushing a button would feel like such a step backwards after having 1:1 control of Link's sword arm.

22. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Fixed now, there's an extra channel available on the wii home screen that you can use to fix your save game files...

23. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My opinion on Skyward Sword? Meh.

As mentioned by others, the use of the Skyloft hub simply rubs me up the wrong way. It's lazy and a step backwards.

Secondly, the amount of filler in the game is ridiculous. Okay, I expect that I'll need to get a key to get in to the quest dungeon...but that key is in three pieces? Really? Most of the game seems to be comprised of tedious fetch quests, interspersed with the actual content of the game. This is just filler, trying to stretch the game out to something longer than it really is - namely a Zelda game that isn't actually that long.

Don't get me wrong, there are superb moments of the game, but they're just overrun with tedium.

Thirdly, the controls. Why wasn't there an option to get rid of the idiots on-screen-guide for ages? Why do the controls work most of the time, but then fail when you need them the most? Why does my trapezius muscle hurt?

10/10 game? No way, 7/10 maybe, but as it's Zelda it magically gets a free pass from everybody else. We get huge amounts of complaints about linearity in the industry, but that gets conveniently ignored on one of the most linear games out there.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agree with everything you said. Both Twilight Princess and now Skyward Sword were disappointing and frustrating experiences. Controls on both were awkward, and I know I would have enjoyed both more given the option of a standard controller and less frustrations. Wiggle is great in small bouts, in a 40 hour game - the novelty wears off after the first 30 minutes.

The revisiting of places, the general tedium of it all, and to be honest the downright muddiness and at times plain ugly aesthetics left me not wanting more. Compared to wind waker it was FUGLY.

Just a disappointing experience all in. At least the handheld Zelda's are still fun and enjoyable if the console brethren have been meh!

25. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Majora's as more Linear than Ocarina of Time? I think Majora's had elements that made the original Legend of Zelda so enjoyable (with less ********). It encouraged and rewarded exploration and while the game was so big, it wasn't so big you'd never find anything cool. Eventually you'd stumble onto the farm to find Epona, the game never directly tells you to check it out. The 3 day system is anything BUT linear.